• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT vs. Desert Tactical Arms SRS - Need Help Understanding

Toast

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2011
    So Cal
    I didn't want to sabotage the other AI AT thread, so I started my own. I'm looking to purchase a very accurate bolt gun for all purposes, competition, target shooting, long range shooting, plinking, possibly hunting. My purpose is to purchase one bolt rifle, attach a top quality scope (Nightforce BEAST) and be able to use it for any purpose. If I want a different caliber rifle, I just buy the barrel/bolt. I love the idea of having a 308, 300WM and 338 Lapua Magnum in a single case and I'm able to convert calibers in less than 60 seconds. This is what I've come up with:

AI AT:
    $3990 .308 threaded with brake ($4200 plus 5% hide discount - THANKS MILE HIGH!!! Welcome to Mile High Shooting Accessories
    $422 for a folding stock
    $192 monopod

DTA:
    $3436 Chasis
    $1460 - 308 conversion kit
    Included: monopod
    N/A - folder

TOTALS: DTA: $4,896 - AI AT: $4,604
    Difference is $292.

Additional Calibers:

338 Lapua Magnum - DTA $1625
    338 Lapua Magnum - AI - Not available

300WM - DTA: $1625
    300 WSM - AI AT: $roughly 800 plus $150 threaded at Mile High and $95 for badger brake total of $1045

Difference of $580 per conversion.

So to be fair, for a 308 and 300wm/wsm:
    DTA: $6,521
    AI: $5,649
    (+$450 for 300wsm bolt)

The AI package is $872 cheaper than the DTA package, but you cannot shoot any long action cartridges with it.

It looks like the big difference is that if I want to chamber any long action cartridge, I have to go with DTA. Also, do I need a different bolt on the AI AT if I run a 300wsm? Both are accurate as can be, neither significantly more accurate than the other.

Am I missing something? I'm open to comments, criticisms and opinions. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Yes, I think you are missing the need for a second bolt for the AI AT because the 308 and 300 WSM bolthead are not the same. The DTA is set up to be a fully configurable system, meaning multiple calibers, multiple bolt heads, and multiple magazines. Built long, and works it's way back to 308. The AI AT, which I assume is like the AX and AW is built on a short length, and I believe a replacement bolt is over $450. You can buy a long action , but then you have to jimmy rig a magazine to get it to run 308. If you want to fire multiple calibers from the same gun, your options are a break action single shot, or a DTA.

I just bought the SRS-A1 (waiting for the barrel kit) and I WILL have an AI....just need to think if I can live with the older AX or if I can't live without the new features of the 308MC. The biggest reason I can come up with for the DTA costing more is the new, innovative, modular, bullpup design. Sure the AI can fold but you will not be shooting it folded...even if you go down to a 18" barrel...which I doubt you will with the magnum rounds. I can only imagine how easy the DTA will be to shoot off-hand. Naturally the choice is up to you and whichever you decide is going to be a winner.

With the DTA, you can simply buy a new conversion kit and away you go; no smithing needed to set proper head spacing. Is this also true of the AT? If so, then I'm all over this.

AT only has the .473" (308win) bolt head, no others available.
    There will be the option to swap calibers within the 308 family though, no headspacing required.

You'll need the new long action AX if you want the same for both 308 and long action cartridges. Avaiable bolts the for the 308, magnum (300wm, etc) and 338 lapua magnum families.
    Only things is, you'll need to start with either 338 or 300wm, then buy a 308 conversion. Not the other way around AFAIK.

I love both my DTAs and have 260, 308 and 338 barrels that shoot great. However, I have always liked AIs too and don't think I can pass up an AT in FDE with folding stock and chambered in 243. I'm thinking about selling my MRAD to fund this even though Barrett finally came up with the long awaited 308 and 300 Win barrel conversions this year, but who knows when they'll be truly available to the public. 243 would be a nice caliber for LR matches and I could get that conversion for my DTA easily, but might be more fun to get the 243 dedicated AT and not mess with barrel swaps on their platform.

I learned a long time ago in this sport that there is always something bigger and better around the corner. One of the things that makes this hobby so much fun! New things to research, ponder and try on a regular basis.

I love both my DTAs and have 260, 308 and 338 barrels that shoot great. However, I have always liked AIs too and don't think I can pass up an AT in FDE with folding stock and chambered in 243. I'm thinking about selling my MRAD to fund this even though Barrett finally came up with the long awaited 308 and 300 Win barrel conversions this year, but who knows when they'll be truly available to the public. 243 would be a nice caliber for LR matches and I could get that conversion for my DTA easily, but might be more fun to get the 243 dedicated AT and not mess with barrel swaps on their platform.

I learned a long time ago in this sport that there is always something bigger and better around the corner. One of the things that makes this hobby so much fun! New things to research, ponder and try on a regular basis.

Barrett Rifles - BARREL CONVERSION KIT, MRAD .308 WIN, 22", SS, FLUTED, 1-10

You can order a .308 conversion for your MRAD right now, with the .300 WM expected for March '14. Barrett also has multiple other caliber conversions in the work for the MRADs so it'll be worth it to hang onto your rifle.

Due to it's receicer's sheer size and weight, the MRAD will never as flexible as the DTA and AI AXMC. Just saying.

Never said it was. I know an MRAD is heavy as hell, I have one. I was just pointing out that there are caliber conversions out now with more in the works.

History has shown that with Barrett, seeing is believing. They promised conversions for close to three years and guys sat on rifles expecting them...for years.

History has shown that with Barrett, seeing is believing. They promised conversions for close to three years and guys sat on rifles expecting them...for years.

Having been through their factory only a little over a month ago, I did see and hear firsthand what they have in the works for the MRADs. I can promise, what's coming, regardless of how long it takes, will be good.

I can't bear to sell my DTA, but I won't compete important matches with it anymore. An AI is in my future.

For what it's worth, I have seen an MRAD in 308 on the wall at my local gunstore. Two actually - the 22 inch barrel version sold in a day. I saw the 17 inch version. So the 308 version does exist. Whether the 308 conversion kit is shipping is another question.

I have a DTA. Currently it has 300win and 308 barrels. I will be buying a 338 kit soon. Later in the year I will order a AI AT, 308 barrel is included. So i will prolly order a 6.5 and 6mm creed for it. With the ease of swapping barrels on these 2 rifles ill sell ALL my others rifles. Keep the DTA for long action cals, and the AI AT for my 308 class rounds. Selling my 243 and 6.5 creed will pay for the AI AT and 1 extra barrel. This will also allow me to upgrade to NF beast scopes on both my rifles.

What a lucky man... living my dream... If I could have both rifles and 2 beasts... Life would be grand.... Well I hope you get them and please let us know what you think. I think the future is here. All you need is a chassis and the barrels. No more sepnding 2-3k on glass for each rifle.

Not a fan of bull pup unless they are semi-auto so the DTA is not on my list at all, price difference is then irrelevant.

Care to share why?

- Bolt reliability issues, (little pin on the side of the bolt shifting, causing a click instead of a bang; bushings falling out, latest gen seems good). DTA has been great standing behind their equipment, but after enough problems, it introduces a lot of uncertainty. I think most of these issues have been mentioned at one point or another, and DTA has evolved components, I imagine their latest gen is pretty well rung out.

-Original Manuals missing important steps in setting up extension/bolt interface - Caused it to go down in desert/sandy matches. I found a step in the latest online manual that fixed this. But sucks to lose entry/travel because you spend 20 minutes on the clock trying to get it into battery.

-6 round magazines. I know they are working on it.

-Single feeding is cumbersome. It's not really 'supported', but a couple of months ago, shooting a stock T3 lite at an event, I needed one more round. Just dropping it in the ejection port on an empty mag and sending the bolt home was wierd, and easy. There are times (esp with a 6 round mag) dropping a round in is way faster than doing a mag change.

I love my DTA, but I just have not seen the 'quirks' with the AI's that I have experienced. I've probably got the bugs rung out now, and any system can have problems. I love it, but little glitches just add more mental baggage when I have enough stuff I'm already trying to remember.

Last edited:
    I have a DTA. Currently it has 300win and 308 barrels. I will be buying a 338 kit soon. Later in the year I will order a AI AT, 308 barrel is included. So i will prolly order a 6.5 and 6mm creed for it. With the ease of swapping barrels on these 2 rifles ill sell ALL my others rifles. Keep the DTA for long action cals, and the AI AT for my 308 class rounds. Selling my 243 and 6.5 creed will pay for the AI AT and 1 extra barrel. This will also allow me to upgrade to NF beast scopes on both my rifles.

Please start a thread demonstrating the capabilities of each with pictures of their accuracy. Thanks.

This post hits my experience with DTA on the head. One little issue after the other until I just wanted to sell the damn thing to quit messing with it.

- Bolt reliability issues, (little pin on the side of the bolt shifting, causing a click instead of a bang; bushings falling out, latest gen seems good). DTA has been great standing behind their equipment, but after enough problems, it introduces a lot of uncertainty. I think most of these issues have been mentioned at one point or another, and DTA has evolved components, I imagine their latest gen is pretty well rung out.

-Original Manuals missing important steps in setting up extension/bolt interface - Caused it to go down in desert/sandy matches. I found a step in the latest online manual that fixed this. But sucks to lose entry/travel because you spend 20 minutes on the clock trying to get it into battery.

-Single feeding is cumbersome. It's not really 'supported', but a couple of months ago, shooting a stock T3 lite at an event, I needed one more round. Just dropping it in the ejection port on an empty mag and sending the bolt home was wierd, and easy. There are times (esp with a 6 round mag) dropping a round in is way faster than doing a mag change.

I love my DTA, but I just have not seen the 'quirks' with the AI's that I have experienced. I've probably got the bugs rung out now, and any system can have problems. I love it, but little glitches just add more mental baggage when I have enough stuff I'm already trying to remember.

Please start a thread demonstrating the capabilities of each with pictures of their accuracy. Thanks.

I'm not gonna start an entire new thread just to prove a point but I would go with the DTA. I have a new gen SRS A1. A friend cued me into these amazing guns and I have not looked back since. I have 308, 260, and 338 conversions and it's great. Believe it or not but I actually prefer the trigger on the DTA vs an AI. The AI shape is very curvy and in my terms not a great trigger, especially compared to a Huber or a TRG. The DTA trigger has a nice flat shape with a rounded ridge so you really know where you are each and every shot. The machining work on the DTA is fantastic and the barrels are world class. I usually call 1/4 guns unicorn type myths but it can be done with a DTA, most of the time it's gonna be a 1/2 or under if you do your part. The DTA action is a little looser than the bolt on a AI but that does not bother me at all. The fact that they are very light and short rifles is just a bonus.

Pic below of the accuracy of a DTA in .260, not sure what the size was but it looked like the diameter of a 30cal round

wdg9.jpg

Looks like DTA is the answer.

You really need to get behind both before making a costly mistake that you won't be able to sell with out taking a decent hit to the wallet. (That statement applies to both the AI and DTA)

DTAs above all other bolt action rifles are truly "love or hate" due to it being a bull-pup and the manual of arms required to be proficient with it.

The trigger on the DTA, while being the best on any bull-pup style rifle (bolt-action or semi-auto) is no where near equall to a AI/TRG.

Last edited:
    I had a DTA covert for a few weeks and that was enough for me. I didn't experience the problems some others have mentioned but I did have a few feeding issues. My problem was the awkward bolt throw and mag changes. I don't have long arms and it was awkward for me, I can't imagine being a big guy and running one. I couldn't look past this so I wasn't interested in working out the feeding issue and running it.

I had a DTA covert for a few weeks and that was enough for me. I didn't experience the problems some others have mentioned but I did have a few feeding issues. My problem was the awkward bolt throw and mag changes. I don't have long arms and it was awkward for me, I can't imagine being a big guy and running one. I couldn't look past this so I wasn't interested in working out the feeding issue and running it.

+10000, I dont have short arms and I had the exact same issues

I've had a Gen 1 DTA since Nov 2012. I bought it used in 300WM and it has the old style bolt. The factory barrel shoots great with 208 amax and RL22 or H1000. I ordered a 308 conversion and received the old style bolt. It also shoots great, currently loading 178bthp and varget in lapua brass. I then picked up a 338LM conversion, though I have not shot it yet. Lastly I bought an SAC .260 barrel. It shoots great of course and no issues using it with my existing 308 bolt.

I've competed with it in two matches. The first was the Bushnell Brawl last year and let me tell you, the bullpup design really shined and really sucked. Running, climbing and offhand shooting was great. But left handed shooting was terrible as you must pick your head up every time you need to run the bolt. Mag changes are also not great, although I really didn't practice a whole lot. I have found though that single feeding, while tricky, is not that bad on the system.

I've had no mechanical issues with the system across a couple thousand rounds and I'm looking forward to many more. I'm still debating on using it for this year's Brawl though...

My DTA rifle is SUPER low number gen 1. I love the design. This rifle allows me to fix a major issue I hated about long action magnums; The Size! It sheds 1 foot, possibly a little more off the rifles length. It also puts more weight closer the shoulder of the shooter. I noticed that this rifle is heavier then my 243 by 4 pounds or so, but is easier to shoot off hand. I will NOT be shooting 308 class of rounds in this rifle. I will be keeping my DTA in 300win mag and 338 lapua only. I think the trigger is good on the DTA for what it is. I never gauged it, but I would say 3 pounds or less. I have no problems with the bolt throw, but then again I am a little fellow with little arms. I would like to order a AI AT rifle for my collection this year. If its over 1 year wait, Ill hold off and get one in 2015 after I leave CA. I recommend everyone who is interested in a DTA to go shoot one, and make your own mind up. I got overly motivated and bought mine not knowning any differences. I wish I researched it more to know all the stuff. I would of purchased a Gen 2 with the new rail.

Last edited:
    Looks like DTA is the answer.

An Addendum:

The DTA has some quirks.

I think that the posters above have valid points. I have short arms so the gun works for me, as well it's a matter of practice with mag changes and single feeding is fine if you have a technique. I cup the round in my hand and can feel the feed without braking a cheek weld, however this takes practice. The difficult part is running a DTA then going right back to a traditional setup with a forward bolt, that can mess up your flow.

This said I will go back to the accuracy part. A friend and I took our guns out yesterday, and in .260 Rem I was able to land three out of six headshots on an IPSC at 1186 yards with my DTA. I am not some master shooter but that was a record for me to be able to land 50% of very round fired on a six inch area at that distance. I believe this is around 1/4 MOA accuracy. I think there is some inherent accuracy enhancing ability built into the DTA. Perhaps it's the bull pup configuration, the trigger, or the combination? I am not certain. Either way I find the DTA very forgiving and not very picky about what I feed it.

As others have said it would be ideal to try one out first. Unfortunately this is like going to the ferrari dealership and borrowing a car for a day, hard to find or do. But if you have buddy who has one then try it out.

To really compare the two you would need to compare the AI AX MC to the DTA SRS A1. At that point the DTA gains a slight price advantage.

I have been shooting a DTA SRS in .260 and .338 LM for a couple years. I have yet to have a feeding issue with the SRS.

Below are some Pros that I have found in the DT rifle system.
    1. Compactness - It is nearly a foot shorter than a standard bolt gun with the same length barrel. When shooting suppressed this becomes very noticeable.
    2. It is noticeably lighter than an AI rifle.
    3. When shooting offhand it feels significantly lighter compared to shooting a standard style bolt rifle with the same weight and barrel length.
    4. Fantastic accuracy. I can attest to the groups appearing regularly in the 1/4 MOA range with factory DT barrels.
    5. Repeatability. My rifle returns to absolute zero when removed and remounted in the rifle. I have done this during a match to demonstrate it. Not sure how the AI is on this, but the DT is spot on.
    6. DT has numerous calibers available. (It would be nice to see AI offer .260, 6.5 CM, and some other calibers.)

Some cons would include:

1. No Left hand model and shooting left handed will require you to lift your head.
    2. No 10 round mags, which can be a big disadvantage in a match.
    3. Single round feeding requires technique on the SRS and is not as easy as a standard style bolt action rifle.
    4. The bolt does not ride as smoothly in the raceway as a custom rifle.
    5. The rifle does not fit everyone.

Pick the rifle that meets your needs and I think you will be very happy with your purchase.

Last edited:
    As others have said it would be ideal to try one out first. Unfortunately this is like going to the ferrari dealership and borrowing a car for a day, hard to find or do. But if you have buddy who has one then try it out.

I am always happy to take any potential customers out to demo my rifle if you are in the Salt Lake City area.

Shamir,

I happen to run a DTA SRS in competitions.

Rob Wilkinson: King of Powder Keg | Com-Link

The DTA does have some advantages as a match rifle.

1. It is a full foot shorter than a comparable bolt action rifle with the same length barrel. - This makes for easier moving around barricades and obstacles especially if you are running suppressed.
    2. The SRS feels deceptively light. Since the action is all the way back in the stock the balance point of the rifle is just in front of the pistol grip. This makes the gun feel a few pounds lighter than it actually is, which makes shooting in unsupported positions much easier than a traditional bolt rifle.
    3. The monopod option is very fast and efficient. I find it easier and quicker to use the monopod than a rear bag. I have a few friends that call it the cheater pod.
    4. It has a fantastic single stage trigger. It nearly rivals the Jewell trigger in my Remington 700.
    5. Can easily swap out barrels, but the barrels will need to have a DTA barrel extension mounted which runs nearly $300.

The only real drawback that I see to the SRS is that you are stuck with 5-6 round mags depending on the caliber you are running. This means you will come across stages where you will be required to do a mag change where guys running 10 round mags will not have to change mags. Nick Young, the owner of Desert Tech, has told me that 10 round mags are coming for the SRS.

I have loved my SRS. It has been a good match rifle and is an extremely versatile rifle as it can run short action and long action magnum calibers. It has forced a number of rifles out of my safe, just because they simply did not get used anymore after acquiring the SRS.

All that being said, I have recently been able to spend some time with Accuracy International rifles. My first order of AI rifles arrive in my shop last week. I am very impressed with the quality of these rifles. These are purpose built sniper rifles. If you spend some time throughly examining these rifles you will notice that there is a purpose for everything on the rifle and that everything was extremely well thought out. The designers of these rifles must be shooters and also be taking advice from fellow shooters in the field. The AI rifles have a level of refinement that I have yet to see on any other production gun.

Just looking over the new AI AXMC here are a few things that caught my eye.

Fantastic fit and finish
    Super smooth bolt
    Bolt has cuts to help prevent it from freezing shut
    Tool less take down of the bolt
    3 position safety on the bolt
    Side Bolt release
    Cocking indicator on the bolt
    Extra heavy duty Bolt Stop - I have seen a number of bolt stops sheared off of custom guns in comps during the past few years. I can't imagine one of these shearing off.
    10 round double stack mags
    Bolt will not cycle forward when mag is empty
    Firing pin can be quickly adjusted in the bolt assembly.
    Folding stock - that easily folds and is secured in the folding position, locks up rock solid when deployed, has all the adjustments you would ever need, and holds a 4mm allen wrench
    Folding stock folds to the right side of the rifle and also captures the bolt. This leaves the left side of the gun smooth so nothing is jabbing you in the side or back when carrying the gun slung in a folding position. It also makes the gun profile thinner when collapsed.
    All bolts on the rifle are 4mm bolts
    Removable barrel/caliber system - can swap barrels in about one minute
    The side of the Chassis has been cut out to aid in mag changes while shooting in the prone position.
    Removable forend - you have the ability to swap out different length forearms in seconds.
    Slim forend with Keymod type attachment system.
    Fantastic two stage trigger
    Excellent shaped pistol grip
    High quality polymer stock panels

And the list goes on.

Things I would like to see on this rifle would included:

- A monopod option similar to what DTA has. (DTA monopods are fantastic.)
    - A magnum bolt face option on the Short Action - though after looking at the bolt face, I don't think there is enough meat on the bolt to allow this.
    - Magazines that do not prevent the bolt from sliding forward when they run dry. While this current feature on AI rifles may save some time for people that forget where they are in their round count and remind them of a pending mag change before they waste their time acquiring a target only to practice dry firing, it may cause some competitors grief that like to chamber an additional one or two rounds individually instead of performing a complete mag change during a stage.
    - I would really like to see the Chassis/action and barrels sold a la carte. It would save on Federal Excise Tax and would give the individual shooter the ability to pick up the rifle in the caliber they want instead of being forced to buy it in .308. It would also give the end user the ability to purchase a barrel from a third party if AI did not offer what they want/need.

From a competitive standpoint, here are the advantages that I see.
    1. Ten Round double stack AI mags - it does not get better than this.
    2. Super smooth bolt action. - Feels like a nicely worked over custom bolt action.
    3. Super adjustable stock - If you cannot get this stock to fit you, you are out of luck when it comes to shooting rifles.
    4. This is about the sexiest rifle out there. You will be envied or loathed by other competitors. Everyone will know that rifle can shoot so no excuses.
    5. Can easily swap out barrels/calibers when needed.
    6. Mag changes in prone are easier than on just about any other rifle out there.

From a competitive standpoint these are the drawbacks I see.
    1. The rifle is a couple pounds heavier than a DTA SRS and will feel significantly heavier when shooting unsupported.
    2. It will require you to purchase another barrel in a 6 or 6.5 caliber to be on a level paying field.
    3. The mag forces the bolt to lock to the rear when the mag runs dry, this will force a mag change and not give you the option to single feed a couple rounds if you desired.
    4. It does not have the DTA monopod.

From a shooting perspective the AI is not as versatile as the SRS. I believe you will be stuck using short action calibers that share the .308 bolt face, as there does not look to be enough meat left on the bolt to allow for a magnum face which would enable you to shoot WSM and SAUM calibers.

I personally like the AXMC over the AT. I like the forend (slim, modular, can be removed and swapped, fully surrounds the barrel, full length top rail, etc.), the rear stock (adjustability and right folding over the bolt), the side mag well cut out.

When you start to compare the SRS to the AXMC things start to get a little blurry for me. I love the SRS and may be a little partial to it as that has been my go to rifle for the last couple years. i like how quickly it handles and how deceptively light it feels. The AXMC has a silky smooth action and the coveted 10 round mags. The AXMC oozes precision, refinement, and near perfection in rifle design. I would love to pick up an AXMC for personal use and see which one I shoot better.

My personal opinion is that you really can't go wrong with either one. I am a dealer for both AI and Desert Tech and would love a chance to earn your business if you decide to go with either rifle.

Feel free to contact me via PM to get my phone number to discuss this in further detail if you wish.

My offer still stands to anyone who would like to demo an SRS in Salt Lake City. Hopefully, I can end up with an AXMC and/or AT for customers to demo as well soon.

Last edited:
    Reactions: GoferDog
    I didn't want to sabotage the other AI AT thread, so I started my own. I'm looking to purchase a very accurate bolt gun for all purposes, competition, target shooting, long range shooting, plinking, possibly hunting. My purpose is to purchase one bolt rifle, attach a top quality scope (Nightforce BEAST) and be able to use it for any purpose. If I want a different caliber rifle, I just buy the barrel/bolt. I love the idea of having a 308, 300WM and 338 Lapua Magnum in a single case and I'm able to convert calibers in less than 60 seconds.

Am I missing something? I'm open to comments, criticisms and opinions. Thanks.

Toast. First off I will say this. I do not own an AI. That said I have owned a shit ton of bolt rifles and run two TRG's and a DTA SRS-A1. As strange as the first few times out with the DTA will be as you have to get used to it's configuration, it's just a better rifle than the more traditional design. The DTA is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot hands down. It's super consistent across all my barrel changes from 308-260-338, all one ragged hole once you get a group going. There is of course adjustments to make when you switch the barrels but your good to go once that is done.

Toast. First off I will say this. I do not own an AI. That said I have owned a shit ton of bolt rifles and run two TRG's and a DTA SRS-A1. As strange as the first few times out with the DTA will be as you have to get used to it's configuration, it's just a better rifle than the more traditional design. The DTA is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot hands down. It's super consistent across all my barrel changes from 308-260-338, all one ragged hole once you get a group going. There is of course adjustments to make when you switch the barrels but your good to go once that is done.

My SRS is a Gen 2 and it is unbelievably accurate and is a fantastic rifle platform. I would take one over a TRG any day, and I really like the TRG rifles.

That being said after spending sometime with the new AXMC rifles. I have yet to see a finer built tactical rifle. I would love to add one to my personal collection.

I have both and love both, but can't argue that the build quality and material used in the AI AXMC are the best I've seen. The two stage trigger is also a nice plus, but the one stage trigger on the DTA is also very light and crisp. Lots of after market support for the DTA, since it has been out so long and you can go from 223 to 338LM or other magnum calibers in less than 2 minutes and zero consistently repeatable. Buy one and if you don't like it, sell it and get the other. Would start with only 308 caliber until you decide which platform you like best. 10 round mags for the DTA would be a nice plus!!! You listening guys?

While DTA and AXMC both have Bartlein barrels, the barrel extension on the DTA has a slightly larger mouth, so the once fired brass will NOT chamber in my AXMC in either 260 or 308. The hundreds of rounds I loaded waiting for my AI will have to be fired in my DTAs. No big deal. Any new ammo or new brass I use in reloading chambers like a breeze, even that once fired in the AI and FLS!!! First time I've run into that issue. The once fired brass from my RWS 308 worked great in both DTAs. I have been sorting out rounds all morning and been loading new rounds for my AI to go shooting today with my son. Showers and wind predicted, so should be fun. Mid 90s temps not bad for this time of year!

PS-The ATs alll have Walther barrels with 1:12 twist, I believe.

Last edited: