• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-X or Sako TRG22A1

Tony1320

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Looking at buying an Accuracy International AT-X or Sako TRG22A1 which one would you go with and why?

I've had a few full custom rifles over the years now I want to try a factory rifle

Either would be a .308 for mostly prone shooting at the range for fun maybe the occasional prs match

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Why not a TRG-22 not A1? Why not in FDE with a factory folding rear and Vision arca front-end? I know a guy.

The AT-X is better purely comp gun, likely. TRG is a nice rifle though and doesn't have the English not-dickmod holes all over.

Either TRG22 or M10 for me. Unless you love chassis there is no real advantage to me. You can easily adjust the classic stock to your needs aswell. Not that fast but it works. Would not spend the extra cash on the chassis and folding stock. I'd rather go for the next level M10. Better to sell other stuff and simply use one rifle. Practice makes perfect.

1000016883.jpg

Never got comfortable behind the original trg-42 green

Sold it because of that.

It shot lights out, so I kept it longer than I should have. But I’m a thumb hole/pistol grip guy.

Just find it more comfortable

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I think if you wanted to use it hunting, I’d go TRG-22 with the green stock as I believe it’s lighter (seemed so when I fooled with one).

But for prone and PRS…go ATX; or if you feel like being a guinea pig, go ATXC.

Or buy a classic AT. Might be your last chance. I just bought one and might sell my AX if I like it enough. I have thumbhole skins for it all ready, but AI’s announcements pushed up my timeline.

Last year I was in the same boat. I went AT-X because of the quick change barrel feature, and I was able to get mine for $1K less (that was a big factor - $4,500 vs 5,500). Joke was on me though because by the time I added a forend bridge, folder, and bag rider I was in the $5,200 range spent on my AT-X.

If the AT-XC is truly a $6,500 rifle when it starts hitting the street, I'd have made my decision the other way should I be in that same situation.

Having had a couple customs, and now a good factory rifle; the next time I incest that kind of money, I'm going back to a custom. However opinions will vary here.

While not the exact same rifles, I had a TRG-22 and an AX308 and in the end I liked the TRG better.
The barrel change on the AI is awesome but I found I didn’t have a need to swap short action calibers that much, usually stuck with one barrel. AW mags are definitely better, but I never had any problems with my TRG mags.

One big thing to consider, you can run any of the small 6mm cartridges in the AI mags with the HRD spacer kit, you can’t with the TRG. The shortest you might be able to get away with in a TRG mag is the 6GT, but I haven’t seen it done.

I ended up selling the TRG and the AI and went with a Desert Tech SRS-M2, very happy now even though it’s not as smooth of a bolt and the trigger isn’t as good. Love the short overall package and the ability to go from 223 to 338L on one platform.

That’s being said, if I spot a good deal on a classic TRG-22 pre-2013 I’ll buy another one.

I think that between the TRG, AI, MRAD, and SRS you will find people who have their preferences for various reasons. I've been playing with my buddy's MRAD SMR next to my AT-X, and certainly prefer the AI...but I'll never tell anyone that their preferred platform is inferior. 90% of what we argue about is based off of purchase bias. I will say that his rifle is AMAZINGLY accurate with factory 230gr Norma Match (300NM). But then again, my 6GT AI barrel is agging just a cunt hair over 3/8 MOA with factory Eagle Eye Precision ammo too. Anytime you can take a factory rifle, throw factory ammo in it, and shoot 1/2 minute or better, you have a pretty winning combo. That is probably why we have so many fans of each platform...because they just perform.

You really have to base your decision on features more than you do performance.

I do really like the look of the new TRG22A1. I just can't find a reason to get one. I've got a dozen other projects already.

For me it would boil down to accessories I need or want. Can you source those items like add on accessory rails, weights etc from both manufacturers.
Both will shoot bug holes.
After owning the at-x I love it and wouldn’t sell it but the trg22 was more comfortable for me. I just got a price I couldn’t refuse on the at-x.

If you take the matches seriously, I would go with the at-x. Prone wont really be a huge difference but on a prop the atx will obviously be way better. Im just coming off a trg22 with a vision hand guard built for prs and making a custom comp gun from a tikka. If I had the money and the atx was out when I bought the trg (it was the original black stock non a1 version) I would have gone with it if I had the energy to do all the import paperwork etc