• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AXSR Questions: QC and Relief Port

Browny

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Texas
Hello,

I recently picked up an AXSR from Euro Optic and I had some questions.

Are handling marks, cycling wear and scope mount gouges common in new AI? Not a huge deal on my end, but was just curious to hear what other AXSR owners’ experience was.

Lastly, and most importantly, in looking at pictures of AXSR online, I noticed that the relief vent for gas escape has an orange indicator whereas mine does not. I am not sure what to make of this.

For reference I am very new to the bolt action platform and this is my first AI, and second bolt gun.

I appreciate your patience and kindness. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TheDude219
06C7B248-14C4-4860-A6BE-3A7E5D58FE78.jpeg
93C291A4-6466-47A7-8295-6EDB8762A190.jpeg
58DE431D-FB8E-4D0B-8382-97A4A56B2128.jpeg
A5A7CFB0-1497-48BA-9433-603F4AA1E33E.jpeg

Hello,

I recently picked up an AXSR from Euro Optic and I had some questions.

Are handling marks, cycling wear and scope mount gouges common in new AI? Not a huge deal on my end, but was just curious to hear what other AXSR owners’ experience was.

Lastly, and most importantly, in looking at pictures of AXSR online, I noticed that the relief vent for gas escape has an orange indicator whereas mine does not. I am not sure what to make of this.

For reference I am very new to the bolt action platform and this is my first AI, and second bolt gun.

I appreciate your patience and kindness. Thanks in advance.
Did you buy a like new demo? Only reason I can think of for the marks, if not I wouldn’t be happy.

I just ordered one from them so I’m curious. Will let you know how mine shows up.

Reactions: RayDBonz
To my knowledge this was new. But if this is new, not sure what to say…

I am more concerned about those relief ports more than anything else.

Nope not new and wouldn't be the first time euro sold a return as nib

@MOUNTIC might shed some light on the relief ports

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
AI changed the blowout port covers from red to black in 2021 at some point, no issue there.
If you bought that as a new rifle though I would be calling whoever sold it to you. The wear on that gun is nothing that would’ve happened at the factory.

AI changed the blowout port covers from red to black in 2021 at some point, no issue there.
If you bought that as a new rifle though I would be calling whoever sold it to you. The wear on that gun is nothing that would’ve happened at the factory.
Thanks, I’ve reached out to the dealer see what he is going to do about it. Relieved to hear that info about the relief ports.

Yea the black plug is normal now. My ES (#TheOneTrueModernColor) came with a black plug.

I’ll say this about the wear marks…it shouldn’t. Mine had a few suspicious spots but it was the last one they had (after being told they didn’t have any in stock) so I assumed it was just an in store demo. Everything worked as it should and it was just minor cosmetics. The back of my truck in a single trip out does more to it than how it arrived lol

Also…I wouldn’t put it past your local gun shop finger fucking it before calling you to get it. Just another possibility. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And don’t listen to the mouth breathers in the other threads…you picked the right color.

Yea the black plug is normal now. My ES (#TheOneTrueModernColor) came with a black plug.

I’ll say this about the wear marks…it shouldn’t. Mine had a few suspicious spots but it was the last one they had (after being told they didn’t have any in stock) so I assumed it was just an in store demo. Everything worked as it should and it was just minor cosmetics. The back of my truck in a single trip out does more to it than how it arrived lol

Also…I wouldn’t put it past your local gun shop finger fucking it before calling you to get it. Just another possibility. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And don’t listen to the mouth breathers in the other threads…you picked the right color.
Appreciate the info. The cosmetics are minor to a point that I thought no big deal. Those marks would show up after some use anyway.
Didn’t think much about the color to be honest. It is a tool, and it is going to get used as such.

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting them to rectify said issue?

Maybe they sent you a demo by mistake…

Have you tried contacting them to rectify said issue?

Maybe they sent you a demo by mistake…
Will do tomorrow. It is possible. Honestly now that I know about the ports, I am less worried. If it is an honest mistake, I will give them a chance to rectify.

How’s the action? Does it have scratches on the bolt? And does the bolt move smoothly or not? Those scratches on the bolt handle could be from potential customers handling it at their retail store. I mean we all do open the action when we wanna see and handle a weapon at a lgs. I honestly think it’s new, and hasn’t been shot.

How’s the action? Does it have scratches on the bolt? And does the bolt move smoothly or not? Those scratches on the bolt handle could be from potential customers handling it at their retail store. I mean we all do open the action when we wanna see and handle a weapon at a lgs. I honestly think it’s new, and hasn’t been shot.
Action seems smooth. Bolt has light drag marks. Face has wear that could be from factory firing, or maybe they fired it. Chamber/bore look OK. This is definitely a demo, may be unfired, but definitely handled.

Action seems smooth. Bolt has light drag marks. Face has wear that could be from factory firing, or maybe they fired it. Chamber/bore look OK. This is definitely a demo, may be unfired, but definitely handled.
Maybe post some pics of the bolt. Others here may chime in after as well.

Don’t want to jump into any accusations, but it does look like something going on by the looks of that bolt face.
Maybe send those pictures to EO. Hopefully they’ll help you out.

Got mine from Euro, mine was pristine.

You sure your dealer didn’t do you wrong and shoot the thing before you picked it up?

Reactions: Browny
Well I would have been upset if mine had showed up like that... I agree with @Rhed on the boltface.

And wtf is up with the "Ana Fredericksburg" lettering looking like it wasnt cerakoted???

Every rifle is test fired before it leaves AI, so some slight wear present is normal. Some are test fired more than others. That bolt is used but doesn’t look like it was cycled more than maybe 30-40 times though. The wear on the bottom of the cocking piece is pretty typical of that.

You might raise a question on the amount of brass the ejector is shaving but it’s not uncommon for new ones to have to break in. My .308 bolt ejector scarred the shit out of brass for the first 200 rounds or so.

The AINA engraving is an import mark which gets applied post-cerakote here in the states. All are like that.

Update: just spoke with Euro and they are stating item is 100% new and untouched by them. They state condition is as received from AI.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Sounds like EO has a problem with AI then. I've owned 2 new Axsr, and neither looked remotely close to that.
Unfortunately, this may be one of those circumstances where the hot potato ended in my lap. EO are adamant, I don’t think they are in the mood to do anything otherwise. I’ll reach out to AI today to see if they have anything to say, or perhaps even my ordering dealer. At the end of the day it does seem that the issues are minor cosmetic though, so I won’t be losing much sleep over this. Lesson learned.

Pretty typical to have markings on these. Mostly from shipping. Some better, some worse. Brass shavings on the bolt face and carbon on crown of barrel and in bore are always there. They shoot this guns at least 10 rounds before leaving. I've seen little things like the Allen wrenches in the trigger package come out and lodge in the foam having the rifle rub against it. Thread protectors off and rattling around in the box. You name it, but most of this stuff is from shipping.

Mile High takes them out now, puts it in a tripod or on a bench with ARCA clamp and is visually inspecting every gun now. So if you have marks on ARCA rails like someone had used it, that's what it's from.

The small scratches and superficial marks in cerakote in a lot of places is usually because the cerakote is so flat now. Referencing the area in the OPs pics above the grip. That is very minimal from what I've seen. Mostly DE guns and newer ES guns is where I see it. That foam is a little course and after riding and rubbing in the back of a UPS truck for a total of weeks will leave those marks.

The very latest guns are now shipping in plastic bags inside the foam cutouts like they used to do.

Bolt is 100% normal. Only thing that I see here on three top of the action rail that may be out of the typical items I see. Ports went from red to black as early as 2020 guns pending caliber and timing. I've had 20s with Red and also black.

I get folks are very picky when spending this kind of coin, as I am also. But assembling and testing these with function checking after the cerakote is done, always shows some wear.

Last edited:
Pretty typical to have markings on these. Mostly from shipping. Some better, some worse. Brass shavings on the bolt face and carbon on crown of barrel and in chamber are always there. They shoot this guns at least 10 rounds before leaving. I've seen little things like the Allen wrenches in the trigger package come out and lodge in the foam having the rifle rub against it. Thread protectors off and rattling around in the box. You name it, but most of this stuff is from shipping.

Mile High takes them out now, puts it in a tripod or on a bench with ARCA clamp and is visually inspecting every gun now. So if you have marks on ARCA rails like someone had used it, that's what it's from.

The small scratches and superficial marks in cerakote in a lot of places is usually because the cerakote is so flat now. Referencing the area in the OPs pics above the grip. That is very minimal from what I've seen. Mostly DE guns and newer ES guns is where I see it. That foam is a little course and after riding and rubbing in the back of a UPS truck for a total of weeks will leave those marks.

The very latest guns are now shipping in plastic bags inside the foam cutouts like they used to do.

Bolt is 100% normal. Only thing that I see here on three top of the action rail that may be out of the typical items I see. Ports went from red to black as early as 2020 guns pending caliber and timing. I've had 20s with Red and also black.

I get folks are very picky when spending this kind of coin, as I am also. But assembling and testing these with function checking after the cerakote is done, always shows some wear.
Are they now mounting scopes for test firing? I guess it could just be marks from shipping, but given the totality of the condition, it is very suspect.

Are they now mounting scopes for test firing?

Not that I'm aware of. Most of the black anodized action rails you won't ever be able to tell of they did. On the AX and SR rifles typically any clamping force on the cerakote will leave some sort of mark, even if it's mounted at 10 inch pounds. EO isn't opening all these guns and messing with them either. Unless it's a DEMO and stated as such, these guns are not touched or boxes even opened since they left AI.

The one good thing is AI will take care of you if your not happy with the product. They make it right and turn it around quickly.

Pretty typical to have markings on these. Mostly from shipping. Some better, some worse. Brass shavings on the bolt face and carbon on crown of barrel and in chamber are always there. They shoot this guns at least 10 rounds before leaving. I've seen little things like the Allen wrenches in the trigger package come out and lodge in the foam having the rifle rub against it. Thread protectors off and rattling around in the box. You name it, but most of this stuff is from shipping.

Appreciate the response. Based on my conversation with EO, I don’t think there is anything they could have done differently. My dealer is trying to swap it out. No fault there either. If this is common acceptable wear, not a big deal at all. Thanks!

Appreciate the response. Based on my conversation with EO, I don’t think there is anything they could have done differently. My dealer is trying to swap it out. No fault there either. If this is common acceptable wear, not a bid deal at all. Thanks!

EO and MH are the distributors. Even know the rifle came from EO to your dealer (should have), it sounds like EO shouldn't be the one you are talking to. Go direct to the dealer you purchased it from. EO has little to do with it. Dealer can get with AI or EO if you rejected it before 4473 was completed. After that, you should deal direct with AI with support from the dealer.

Last edited:
EO and MH are the distributors. Even know the rifle came from EO to your dealer (should have), it sounds like EO shouldn't be the one you are talking to. Go direct to the dealer you purchased it from. EO has little to do with it. Dealer can get with AI or EO if you rejected it before 4473 was completed. After that, you should deal direct with AI with support from the dealer.
You are correct. Query to EO ended up being simply if they had accidentally sent demo. They stated brand new as received from AI, I believe them, especially after your response.

Dealer offered to switch for another, simply because he is awesome. No fault there either.

I have decided to unwad my panties and keep it. In this day I am used to seeing faults even on what is considered high end production stuff by many. Heck even full custom shows up with flaws from time to time. Issues are minor cosmetic, made this thread mostly because I feared this was demo which may have had its exhausts ports relieved by some exotic load.

Thank you for all the responses. Mods feel free to close the thread to save resources.

You are correct. Query to EO ended up being simply if they had accidentally sent demo. They stated brand new as received from AI, I believe them, especially after your response.

Dealer offered to switch for another, simply because he is awesome. No fault there either.

I have decided to unwad my panties and keep it. In this day I am used to seeing faults even on what is considered high end production stuff by many. Heck even full custom shows up with flaws from time to time. Issues are minor cosmetic, made this thread mostly because I feared this was demo which may have had its exhausts ports relieved by some exotic load.

Thank you for all the responses. Mods feel free to close the thread to save resources.
I hear ya, and would have had the same reaction. Enjoy the rifle. They are awesome systems.

Thanks Jake for clarifying many things above.

For further transparency to the OP and clarity to those thinking we like to ship used guns as new:

The rifle in question arrived from AI on 5/22/23 and left our warehouse on 6/2/23 and was indeed never on display in the showroom.

Additionally, AINA does have to mount scopes on these to test-fire for group, so there will always be evidence of this if you rifle has a pic rail on it.

Browny, thanks for your understanding - I am sure you will love the rifle. I have been an AI dork myself for about 10years now.

I've bought several items from europtic that were "like new demo" models including my axsa and a schmidt and bender pmii and they both looked brand new. My axsa arrived in better condition than the ops photos. If I was better at life and had more money I'd grab the axsr they have as a like new demo in 338 right now.

Is that something that began recently? Because that is not the case with mine.
View attachment 8158262
The vast majority of AI’s are etched like OP’s. My AXSA and AXMC were marked that way too.
Pretty sure the first year or two of SR’s are like yours but they switched back. Mines actually marked the same as yours lol. Sorry, should’ve been more clear

I cut mine out of the sealed bag it was shipped in from the UK to Canada (AXMC) and was able to pick the rifle apart. The quick lock tensioning screw head was stripped. Looked like someone had an Allen key in only about 1/16” and tried to torque it and stripped the hex head. Looks more like a smeared circle than a hex. That’s okay, send it on to the customer. I’ve been trying to get a replacement screw for years now but keep getting nowhere. A few other flaws in the fitment of the components too but it just makes it easier to shoot the thing and add some wear and tear of my own. For the price none of the flaws should be there. It’s the world we live in though.

Last edited:
IMG_4193.jpeg
IMG_4194.jpeg
Let me add to this... I've owned a AXSR from I think 2021 or 2022. I recently bought another one and the finish is completely different. I got it from EO. Rifles came with some dings too, I'm getting a replacement, if the new rifles are all in that condition I might just completely take a different route... I know it's a gun a bla bla bla, but I expect more from product on this price range. I was considering a second ELR but if this is the theme from AI I probably skip it too and venture somewhere else...

Got a SR recently also has marks all over it. The flat cerakote scratches very easily. Other AI's I've purchased from EO AT&SA, also have flaws throughout including replacement barrels and mags.

Not to hijack a thread but since we are talking about it. I Have an AXSR made in 22, purchased from an authorized distributor new. I noticed what seem to be slight tooling marks (?) under the cerakote on the left side of the receiver. I only picked it up in the right light, curse my ocd. Additionally, noticed these little circles on the left side of the frame. I have never seen another axsr in the wild so idk what is normal or not. Thanks for listening.

Attachments

• IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3012.jpeg
    IMG_3012.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3013.jpeg
    IMG_3013.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 102
This is all nothing compared to some KAC stuff that goes out lol. Nothing that affects performance but if its not scratched when you get is it really a legit KAC

Forgive my ignorance, what is Kac?
Knights armament. They are probably most well know for the M110. They make small and large frame AR's, suppressors, night vision, tons of accessories. Theyre the AI of the semi auto world and then some

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Cosmetic imperfections seem to be a common theme here. To me they did not matter too much. I started the thread mostly because of the exhaust ports. Someone mentioned KAC, I will leave it at that 😂.

Safe to say that if you are buying an AI, beware, especially if you have appearance qualms that will sour you.

I have yet to shoot mine, but that will be the ultimate factor in what I ultimately think about AI.

Your experience may vary. Be prepared. $10k doesn’t go as far as it used to.

Cosmetic imperfections seem to be a common theme here. To me they did not matter too much. I started the thread mostly because of the exhaust ports. Someone mentioned KAC, I will leave it at that 😂.

Safe to say that if you are buying an AI, beware, especially if you have appearance qualms that will sour you.

I have yet to shoot mine, but that will be the ultimate factor in what I ultimately think about AI.

Your experience may vary. Be prepared. $10k doesn’t go as far as it used to.
Well said sir.

Just picked mine up. Bought the like new demo from Europtic and minus the butt pad, it looks brand new. Now granted its not the cool color version (I went black) I can't see any imperfections.

Just picked mine up. Bought the like new demo from Europtic and minus the butt pad, it looks brand new. Now granted its not the cool color version (I went black) I can't see any imperfections.
Be sure to play the lottery on your way back home this evening.