• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International - Fully Fluted Bolt

racerman1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2013
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Questions on Accuracy International - Fully Fluted Bolt

1.) When did they start fluting ?

2.) Is it on just the AX or the AT rifles also ?

3.) Is it only on the SFP (small firing pin) ones or both the SFP & LFP (large firing pin) ones ?

Anyone have any recent pictures you can post ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Reactions: Mj30wilson900
No idea, it seems like it's random to me. My lefty SFP AT is not fluted, but my buddy that bought his right handed SFP AT shortly after me has a fluted bolt. The lefty AX I just got yesterday also does not have fluting, and the pictures I just saw of the newest Elite Sand AX doesn't have fluting.

To clarify, the bolt does have some fluting, but on the "backside" of it which you cannot see when the bolt is closed.

Those are "ice/dirt flutes" that they machine into the bolt. It really isn't for weight savings or cosmetics like some (most) fluting is performed for.

The problem stemmed from the fact that non-fluted bolts would end up freezing in -20 or lower degree weather if they got wet. Pretty easy to do if you fire a string, get condensation on the bolt then it freezes, etc. The flutes give an area for the ice (and dirt, rocks, etc) to sort of "slide" off and out of.

Minor to us because we never see the difference with either fluted or non-fluted. Evidently to European teams it was a bad enough functionality issue to make it a standard!

B bolt 1.jpegB Bolt 2.jpeg

Pictures Courtesy of user " beenjammin " of Auburn, Alabama ... Thank you !

The flutes on the AI bolts started with the AW back in 1991. There was a requirement from the Swedish Army to hose the rifle in water and place in an industrial fridge for the weekend, after which the bolt had to open. Without the flutes it was frozen solid, with the flutes it was fine. An added feature is that it assists with clearing sand and dirt.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

The flutes on the AI bolts started with the AW back in 1991. There was a requirement from the Swedish Army to hose the rifle in water and place in an industrial fridge for the weekend, after which the bolt had to open. Without the flutes it was frozen solid, with the flutes it was fine. An added feature is that it assists with clearing sand and dirt.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Tom,

Is there a reason that new rifles seem to vary so much with these flutes? Some have the flutes all around the bolt, while others only have flutes on the backside. I honestly wish my lefty AT and AX had the flutes all the way around (purely for aesthetic reasons), but I understand the flutes on the backside will still provide the same ice/dirt clearance. It just seems strange why one rifle would have them, and the next doesn't.

Sam

Sam,
Can you post some pictures with the different flutes on the bolts?
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Tom,

I apologize for the crappy pics as I don't have the rifles in hand, but you can see both the 15AT and 16AX (both left handed) have no visible flutes through the ejection port when the bolt is closed. There is one flute that goes the entire length of the bolt approximately 180 degrees from the ejection port, and there are a couple small flutes near the bolt handle where it attaches to the bolt body.

Attachments

• photo51023.jpg
    photo51023.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 104
  • photo51024.jpg
    photo51024.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I was surprised that the SH user that posted pics of the brand new AX in Elite Sand didn't have the fully fluted bolt body either:

Attachments

• photo51027.jpg
    photo51027.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 121
Never noticed or thought about it before.

just looked. My first run AIAT has no flutes and my AXMC has flutes on the currently installed magnum bolt.

There has always been flutes since the AW. There was a time when the 308 and magnum had different castings and different numbers of flutes. We then went to a common casting and made 308 and magnum bolts from it. That is why you will see different flute appearances. In one of the photos which look like there are no flutes it is a left hand bolt. If you remove the bolt the flutes will be on the other side.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Tom,

So we have 1. Left hand bolts with flutes on the right 2. Right hand bolts with flutes on the left and 3. Fully fluted bolts?

Thanks

There has always been flutes since the AW. There was a time when the 308 and magnum had different castings and different numbers of flutes. We then went to a common casting and made 308 and magnum bolts from it. That is why you will see different flute appearances. In one of the photos which look like there are no flutes it is a left hand bolt. If you remove the bolt the flutes will be on the other side.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Tom,

If there is a common casting, then why does the brand new Elite Sand AX pictured above have no visible flutes on the bolt through the ejection port, while a 15AX has them?

And yes, the lefty AT and AX I have both have flutes on the backside of the bolt, but like I said it is one long flute, and just a couple small ones (~3/4") near the bolt handle. It is very apparent that the left handed bolts are not the same as the fully fluted AT and AX bolts, but just "mirrored". (See posts #15 and #16 above). Those have 3 long flutes and a couple of the short ones, which are visible through the ejection port.

I'm not mad about it and not trying to stir the pot, I'm more trying to learn. Plus I think the flutes look sweet and honestly was hoping my lefty AX would have them :)

16 ax
image_51742.jpg

Attachments

• 20170304_102107.jpg
    20170304_102107.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
My 15 LH AT has one flute that runs the length of the bolt on the non ejection port side (no flutes can be seen from ejection port). Does not look like the bolt Jwood posted one the other side.

I did not know that the bolt bodies were cast.

My 2013 AX308 has 2 full length flutes on the back side (flanking the keyway) and little flutes (between 1/2" and 1" long) encircling the bolt near the handle, on the region of the bolt that is encircled by the action when the bolt is closed.

Last edited:
2015 small pin AX308
Only flutes on backside.

Attachments

• photo47396.jpg
    photo47396.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 122
This thread has not been hit on for awhile. Did anyone ever get a clear answer on why some are fluted and other bolts just partially fluted? Also, has anyone had their GunSmith finish the partial flutes or send their bolt to AI to have it completed? Thanks