• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International questions

dieselten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I just got an AI AE MK I in 308 with 24" barrel. I have never handled an AI before this so I have nothing to compare it to. I like this rifle so much I can not put it down. I have had it to the range 5 times in 10 days. It shoots better than my expectations. I do have a couple questions though.

The action seems kind of stiff on cocking. I was concerned there might be an after market heavy firing pin spring or something. The spring in my bolt is gold colored, can anyone tell me if this is an original spring and if stiff cocking is normal (compared to say a pre64 model 70)? The bolt is very smooth in all other operations including opening & closing after being cocked.

The bolt & receiver have matching numbers but there is an upside down number on the barrel about half way down the left side. Can anyone tell me the signifigance of this number?

Thanks!

Re: Accuracy International questions

most bolt guns cock on the bolt lift/rise

so this is normal, 60 degree lift like the AE, means shorter lift than you may be used to, and seems heavy; totally normal

mine is same way, i just got it (mk2) two weeks ago; i had same thoughts , lol

my bolt spring is gold as well, i am assuming this is normal factory spring/color

my mk2 has the same deal. . . matching bolt and action serial #'s, barrel # is upside down and doesn;t match action numbers;

assuming this is that barrel number specifically or production code for the barrel

i have been told that the barrel is fitted after and when the rifle is pretty much ready to go out the door.

so the action comes from England, to the states, and the barrel is fitted

i think AI is using Bartlein ,nowadays, someone else could chime in on that

enjoy it! i am just as excited as you - of all the rifles i have owned, this AI AE is the bomb diggity !

I picked up an AW a while ago on deployment, and checking it over after taking it to the range I was surprised to notice the stock sides don't run flush along the forearm block. They ride inwards along the bottom a bit exposing maybe a 1/4 inch of the forearm metal by the end. Is this just a set of poorly fitted stocks or is this normal?

Thanks for the info on the 60 degree lift, makes sense about additional bolt lift effort. Regarding barrels, mine has British proof marks so I dont think it was barreled in the states.

the action should get smoother with use, my AW did.
the number on the bbl is a serial number, my AE is the same way, the barrels are made for the AW, but when installed on a AE the timing is off 90 degrees or so to display the serial number of the barrel.

congrats
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most bolt guns cock on the bolt lift/rise

so this is normal, 60 degree lift like the AE, means shorter lift than you may be used to, and seems heavy; totally normal

mine is same way, i just got it (mk2) two weeks ago; i had same thoughts , lol

my bolt spring is gold as well, i am assuming this is normal factory spring/color

my mk2 has the same deal. . . matching bolt and action serial #'s, barrel # is upside down and doesn;t match action numbers;

assuming this is that barrel number specifically or production code for the barrel

i have been told that the barrel is fitted after and when the rifle is pretty much ready to go out the door.

so the action comes from England, to the states, and the barrel is fitted

i think AI is using Bartlein ,nowadays, someone else could chime in on that

enjoy it! i am just as excited as you - of all the rifles i have owned, this AI AE is the bomb diggity !

</div></div>

All of the guns assembled in North America have our barrels on them. The barrel is stamped AINA (Accuracy International North America).

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank
Is there any way to tell your barrel from other AI barrels? How long have you been supplying AI barrels?
Do you supply the 300WM barrels also?
Thanks
j

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank
Is there any way to tell your barrel from other AI barrels? How long have you been supplying AI barrels?
Do you supply the 300WM barrels also?
Thanks
j </div></div>

J, Double check my post. All AI guns built in North America have our barrels. If it's our barrel the barrel will be marked

AINA and the caliber etc....

Later, Frank

I got to shoot several new AINA AXs this week, and they had Bartlein barrels and they were insanely accurate out of the box. I mean, right out of the box.

Here is an example I snapped with my iPhone of the groups these rifles shot with Bartlein Barrels...

This was Cold Rifle, first 3 shots of the day..., measured below a 1/4 MOA.

474179_10150874116047953_368638077952_11687151_418465081_o.jpg

Here was a no bullshit 10 Shot group, I was in the zone and just kept shooting...

466435_10150869765292953_368638077952_11683367_1634336557_o.jpg

Easy to see why the guys at Bartlein are my first choice... they took what was already a 1/2 MOA rifle and made it sub 1/4 MOA ---><span style="font-style: italic"> Your Mileage may vary I a can't vouch for your shooting ability. </span>

Hey Frank! That's railing them in there!!!!!!!!

Dave Tooley does some pretty good work as well! We can't take all the credit!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

P.S. Wish AI would get the left hand AX gun out! I'm first on the list! At least I think I am?

My 2009 AW has the receiver stamped "Accuracy International England AINA Fredericksburg VA" but the barrel is stamped with a number different than the serial number on the receiver and it is stamped with a proof mark, caliber, and LP/10.

Mine was purchased new in 2010.

Good luck

I inquired about the AI barrels on a previous post here . Well, I finally got in contact w/Mile High and it turns out the barrel on my AIAE MkIII is a Lothar-Walther.

FYI, I don't have the AINA marking anywhere, the only thing I have on my barrel is a serial number (which does not match my action) and 7.62x51mm w/a couple of different proof marks. I was told it's a European stainless steel painted barrel.

I found this video on Lothar-Walther and think it's interesting. However, I eventually want to upgrade my caliber & barrel to a Bartlein!

Cheers,

AvsFan
cool.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HrmWN0igJY0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HrmWN0igJY0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Just an FYI,

That is Lothar Walther of Georgia in the US, (video) slightly different from the LW that AI uses which is in Germany.

Bit of an Apples and Orange when you talk about Lothar Walther and Accuracy International

ok before you guys worry about who makes your barrel how about you worry about how it shoots? if a factory AI barrel shoots sub 1/2MOA... WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CHANGE IT OUT!!!!????

same goes for any gun, that is a utter waste of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an FYI,

That is Lothar Walther of Georgia in the US, (video) slightly different from the LW that AI uses which is in Germany.

Bit of an Apples and Orange when you talk about Lothar Walther and Accuracy International

</div></div>

How is LW different in the US?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 2009 AW has the receiver stamped "Accuracy International England AINA Fredericksburg VA" but the barrel is stamped with a number different than the serial number on the receiver and it is stamped with a proof mark, caliber, and LP/10.

Mine was purchased new in 2010. </div></div>

Your barrel was proofed in the London Proof House in 2010.

The number on all the barrels, whether AINA or UK, are the barrel blank serial number which comes from the manufacture.

I have had the itch for a Accuracy International for several years now. The PSR Deployment kit pulled my trigger and made me commit to the order. Can't wait until it arrives!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok before you guys worry about who makes your barrel how about you worry about how it shoots? if a factory AI barrel shoots sub 1/2MOA... WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CHANGE IT OUT!!!!????

same goes for any gun, that is a utter waste of money. </div></div>

Import laws.

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a new barrel for my AW, as I'm tired of needing to fire ten 308 Win rounds to make just one sub 1/2 inch hole at 100 yards.

With 450 Bushmaster, I get the same hole with one shot !
smile.gif

Gee