• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International: SA bolt with mag face

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Has anyone out there seen a short action bolt body with mag bolt face for an AI? Any rumors from AI or aftermarket options?

Would like to get a 7mm WSM or 6.5 PRC barrel for my AX.

I feel like AI would eventually offer this with short action magnums getting more popular.

There's some talk that after the 223 AI bolt head kit is finalized, a magnum boltface may be next on the "to do list."

Keep in mind this is a third party kit, not from AI themselves.

Last edited:
Has anyone out there seen a short action bolt body with mag bolt face for an AI? Any rumors from AI or aftermarket options?

I feel like AI would eventually offer this with short action magnums getting more popular.

AI typically doesn’t care what is popular amongst the civilian market. Unless military/le starts using a lot of short mags, I wouldn’t expect AI to even consider it.

People have a hard time getting 260AI to work out of the AW magazine...I still think it’s the best magazine for precision rifles though.

They’ll deliver a mag face short bolt right after they make a .223 bolt.

Been asked a million times, always with the same answer.
I got a 223 conversion working just fine. Still doing testing but it should be ready to release real soon.

WSM/PRC is the next on my chopping block to do. After the 223 hits the streets the mag bolt should be very doable. Gotta change a few things like extractor then work with mags to see what feeds best but it’s definitely in the works.

I should have a “working” test bolt in the next week or so.

6.5 PRC runs just fine in my AXMC using the 300 WM bolt and magazine except for primer cratering even with mild loads.

Accuracy with a Proof carbon fiber barrel and an over max load but well short of pressure signs was outstanding.

The bolt is on its way to Longrifles Inc. to be bushed and the firing pin turned down to 1.6 mm.

6.5 PRC runs just fine in my AXMC using the 300 WM bolt and magazine except for primer cratering even with mild loads.

Accuracy with a Proof carbon fiber barrel and an over max load but well short of pressure signs was outstanding.

The bolt is on its way to Longrifles Inc. to be bushed and the firing pin turned down to 1.6 mm.
They are looking for Short action AI magnum boltface bolts

Reactions: Glassaholic
@trophyhunter Did the magnum SA bolt face ever come to fruition?
Yup, it’s my main hunting rig. I’m shooting 300wsm in my short action AX. It’s a dream to shoot. Mags only hold 7rds but it’s enough for what I’m doing.

i have a 6.5PRC barrel also, same holds 7rds, fired a few times but my fav is 300wsm.

for the moment it’s still a byproduct of the 223 conversion, extractor is not hard to mod but at the moment it’s not permanent.

So if I wanted to get my bolt face expanded to .535 to handle SAUM brass, the extractor would need to be from the .223?

So if I wanted to get my bolt face expanded to .535 to handle SAUM brass, the extractor would need to be from the .223?
This is a question born of ignorance as I know very little on the mechanical workings of the AI.

Are the extractors on long action bolts (with a magnum bolt face) that different in design than short action extractors that you couldn’t open up a 308 bolt face and swap one in?

This is a question born of ignorance as I know very little on the mechanical workings of the AI.

Are the extractors on long action bolts (with a magnum bolt face) that different in design than short action extractors that you couldn’t open up a 308 bolt face and swap one in?
I'm in the same boat. AI never had much interest for me but a friend helped me see the "light" and I have one on it's way and trying to learn about the nuances of the platform. Too bad they don't have replaceable bolt heads like the Bighorn TL3, that would sure make things a lot easier.

I'm in the same boat. AI never had much interest for me but a friend helped me see the "light" and I have one on it's way and trying to learn about the nuances of the platform. Too bad they don't have replaceable bolt heads like the Bighorn TL3, that would sure make things a lot easier.
It’s a few quirks like this that’s kept me away from an AI.
I like to get one someday though.

1585238414343.jpeg

You going magnum now?

so I’m at a crossroad and don’t know what to do

i have a ax and a tikka 308

should I convert the tikka to 6.5 prc or 223
or my ax ? my Plan was to convert my ax to one or the other but usps lost my spare bolt so im In limbo until there investigation is complete

i just don’t know what rifle to do the 223 conversion and which one to do the 6.5 prc conversion, if I reloaded it would be a 7 SAUM or maybe 300 WSM

the sad thing is I used to shoot with Gilbert at rifles only at S.TX club matches and right after I move to the NW he figures out how to do all this haahhh

or my ax ? my Plan was to convert my ax to one or the other but usps lost my spare bolt so im In limbo until there investigation is complete

i just don’t know what rifle to do the 223 conversion and which one to do the 6.5 prc conversion, if I reloaded it would be a 7 SAUM or maybe 300 WSM
Personally I’d turn the AI to 6.5PRC as long as the cost to do it aren’t insane and mag length isn’t an issue.

You know there’s a mile opportunity really close that spot I showed you.

Reactions: MarinePMI
1585245499080.png

So wait a second, the AI bolt head is replaceable based on this image? The question then becomes does AI sell the bolt head separately and are the MC and SA bolt heads the same size? I'm assuming the MC bolt head is larger to handle 338 Lapua size (.590 face) cartridges, but does anyone know for certain?

different in size and length

the sad thing is I used to shoot with Gilbert at rifles only at S.TX club matches and right after I move to the NW he figures out how to do all this haahhh
i'll tell you what i did but it was a no brainer for me. I have my AX short action shoot 223, 223AI, all the 308/BR cases and 6.5prc and 300wsm.
one rifle
one trigger
one scope
many MANY barrels

I was able to eliminate all the excess by having only one rifle to outfit

View attachment 7282300

So wait a second, the AI bolt head is replaceable based on this image? The question then becomes does AI sell the bolt head separately and are the MC and SA bolt heads the same size? I'm assuming the MC bolt head is larger to handle 338 Lapua size (.590 face) cartridges, but does anyone know for certain?
No the AI are not replacable from AI
AI will not sell the bolt head seperatley
and the MC & SA are not the same size, larger tenon, lugs further apart, differnt extractors

yes i know for certain, I've measured all of them extensivly

those 2 bolts head were done by us, that is Lowlights hand at SHOT Show

Is Ryan spinning the barrels for you @trophyhunter?

Any chance you could single feed a 300 prc or 28 Nosler ?
We were spinning them here, but I’m sure we can get RBGW to spin if needed.
it’ll just be timely to get the barrel to ensure a few cuts are correct.

300PRC is long, not sure if it’ll make the turn to go in loaded, case won’t come out with extractor, it’ll hit the side before it clears.
And now you’re reaching much higher cases pressures with a massive case, this was the big reason why AI went to the AXMC. It should work, but there is a chance for “clickers” cause the barrel is stretching.