• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International twist rates

sniper307

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2005
louisiana
anybody running an AIAE or AIAW with a factory tube 1-12 twist rate with 175 grain FGMM or BlackHills? I am debating the barrel upgrade to the Bartlein 1-10 , but I am curious if the factory barrel will do the job with the 175's. Any help, group sizes, and photos appreciated.

Ryan

Re: Accuracy International twist rates

When I was learning the capabilities of my AE, with a 1/12 twist barrel, I tracked group sizes on about 40 5-shot groups. The smallest was 0.42 MOA. The largest was 0.82 MOA. The average was around 0.62 MOA. That was with a handload pushing a 175 SMK at 2650 fps at 75 degrees.

And I shoot better today than I did then.

I've seen scores of AIs, both AEs and AWs, with 1/12 factory barrels. They shoot 175s in handloads, Black Hills, and FGMMII very well.

My 1-in-12 AE barrel shoots the 175gr SMKs just fine - no worries at all. The very first five rounds that I ever handloaded printed .45" CTC at 100 yards using the 1-in-12 barrel, and I know it can certainly do better than that with a better trigger-slapper behind the rifle than I.
wink.gif

I've got the factory 1in12 on my AW and it shoots all 175gr loads very well. I had the same worries when I bought mine. You'll be good to go, save the money and buy ammo!

175Smk at aprox. 2650fps shoots really well out of a Aw with
factory tube.

I have an AW and two factory 1 in 12 barrels. They both shoot the 175's well, though in recent testing with 155 Scenars, it seems to like them even better.

Not to hijack the thread, but how does it handle the 168 Federal SMK?

I'm sure it handles the 168
Fine. That's been the " standard " for many years. If I shot strictly 168s, I wouldn't worry at all. But I predominately shoot 175s, thus the reason I worry.

I shoot 180 VLD's in my 12-twist AE, just fine in 40-degree fall weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack the thread, but how does it handle the 168 Federal SMK? </div></div>About like this:
IMAG0082.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AW and two factory 1 in 12 barrels. They both shoot the 175's well, though in recent testing with 155 Scenars, it seems to like them even better. </div></div>

bm11, what barrel lengths do you have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AW and two factory 1 in 12 barrels. They both shoot the 175's well, though in recent testing with 155 Scenars, it seems to like them even better. </div></div>

bm11, what barrel lengths do you have? </div></div>The gun came with a 26" barrel, it was fine but got to be a bit long once I bought a suppressor. So I sent it out to get cut back. I missed shooting the rifle so much that I picked up a factory 20" barrel, figuring that I would need another one eventually anyhow.

0.8 inch groups at 200 meters are no problem out of my AE MKII with 20 inch barrel using 175s and Varget. Think I can do better also. Shooting in 17 degrees starts to get uncomfortable for me after a while.