• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Accuracy international Universal headspacing?

jake6547

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
MD
I'm new to the design of Accuracy international rifles and I would like to get a few things straight.
So when A gun smith fits a barrel to an AW or AT does he just follow a Drawing to a exact spec? Im used to fitting a barrel to a receiver and checking headspace with the action mounted on the barrel in the machine. That all changes with the action bedded in the stock. So does anybody have that drawing of the barrel tenon? Also is it true the any bolt out of any AI gun will headspace correctly in any gun? If so that means there quality control and tolerance is very tight. I always shoot for go gauge + .001 to +.003. assuming they are pretty close to that, that means the action, barrel and bolt head would all need to be borderline perfect so the stacking of tolerance doesn't put it out of spec. Thanks in advance for your knowledge on this subject.

Last edited: