• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
Hey Guys

I'm not bashing the brand just want to know why the high cost. In Canada they retail for around 8 grand for the folding stock Arctic Warfare. The folding stock alone is around $1500, so your paying $6500 for a barreled action. WTF. It is either the exchange rate along with the exclusivity of ownership, or both? Thoughts.

Re: Accuracy International

Kinda like why does a Ferrari cost so much. Its just a car afterall, with a motor like all the others. The material cost cant be more then other cars, but yet it costs so much more.

They just do sadly, but its pure quality to say the least. I never read where someone said they were very disappointed with their AIAW purchase. And the wait time on these is several months. AI doesnt flood the market with them.

But alas, this topic comes up about once a year...

I dont have a real good answer for you, but I sure can say that I LOVE my AIAW and I dont regret the extra money for it.

If your thinking about buying one. I say go for it. They hold their value ( or seems like they appreciate depending on when you bought one) so if you change your mind, you can sell it here on the hide. I once sold one in 15 mins ( priced too low i guess)

Who else can ship you a replacement barrel that you can screw in without the adjustment of the headspace by a gunsmith?

You can`t compare an AICS and an AWP, not the same at all.

I loved my AI...However...My TRG-22 was less than half the price and it shot just as well and quality was just as good. AI prices are high because of quality but also because they must be selling rifles and can get the high prices. If you manufactured an item and people would pay $5000 for it..why would you sell it for $3000.
Another point. Why is the AI AE thousands less than the AW? There are some differences, but don't tell me the AW action cost thousands more to machine than the AE!

Surgeon scalpel $4,700. AIAW $5,300. Both 308. High end cost money. If you can only have one then it is worth the money. Shop arround and get exactly what you want. AI owners are acualy being protected by the company. If you take care of it, you will always get most of your money out of it. My AW is the only gun I own that I can say that about. Remember we are all just passing through, got here with nothing leave here with nothing.

Well, to start off from the top:
1. The AW and AICS systems are two totally different animals and only comparable with the interchangeable small parts for the chassis only.
2. International pricing will vary due to exchange rates obviously as well in comparison to US prices listed.
3. Accuracy International products no matter when they were manufactured are in fact Accuracy International products and we stand behind them 100%. So year of manufacture being a determining factor on quality or value is true rubbish.
4. I can assure you that when we say interchangeability across the years, weapon systems, parts and reliability, no other can remotely challenge this key capability.
5. Another point made, barrel change capability within 15 minutes, barrels available to order for replacement are either in stock or if ordered can be available within 90 days, and if sent in for factory replacement and service will be turned around within 72 hours or less. Again, not something the normal or custom rifle manufacture will be able to offer.
6. There are other rifles on the market, such as the TRG, which are very accurate and very good quality. However, I can say have been a dealer and/or owner of most of all the other rifles, there is again none comparable to the Accuracy International system offering many key capabilities which makes our system the best sniper rifle in the world.
7. Always the comparison of the “AE” and “AW” come to light notably in pricing. As I have explained and stated over the many years, here goes:
• Machining processes, man hours and key features are where the distinguishing pricing is determined.
• The “AW” was designed and built for the military end user and specifications in comparison to the “AE” which is our LE and Entry level users. Capabilities, durability, reliability and interchangeability are featured within both systems, but looking at the core system of each you can clearly understand which is which and why.
• Look at our “AE” pricing over the years in comparison to other manufactures and you will notice an interesting fact. The “AE” price has not really increased but others have merely risen within this market area in comparison.
8. AI owners can clarify but once you have driven the best, you may stray, but eventually they return and regret their normally brief but educational affair with some other product.
So, with that being said if you have any questions I can assist you with, I will be glad to, that is why I am here and available.

+1 on what Stacey has said. The cost is worth the price of admission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who else can ship you a replacement barrel that you can screw in without the adjustment of the headspace by a gunsmith?

You can`t compare an AICS and an AWP, not the same at all. </div></div>

SAVAGE at a much lower cost to you
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Nearly cost me a divorce....but best money I have ever paid for a rifle....would not be without it and have never regretted a minute of ownership.

Always puts a smile on my face, makes me raise my game, always delivers.

My benchmark rifle.....at every level it is way ahead of everything else I've owned or shot.

Savage, sure they do, but another issue comes to mind, "Which one is it, year and design". Hang on for the ride, they are trying to make their receiver less drag, mag design or not and barrel nut-less, ha ha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who else can ship you a replacement barrel that you can screw in without the adjustment of the headspace by a gunsmith?

SAVAGE at a much lower cost to you
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>

Comparing a Savage to an AI!!!???
May has well talk about how easy it is to change the barrel on my 10-22.....

The only thing I don`t like about the TRG is the stock.

The ergonomics does not fit me and it`s fragile in the cold.

But it shoots, no problem there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I don`t like about the TRG is the stock.

But it shoots, no problem there. </div></div>

Thats surprising about the cold coming from finnland you would think they would no a little something about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I don`t like about the TRG is the stock.

But it shoots, no problem there.</div></div>

Perhaps<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I don`t like about the TRG is the stock.

But it shoots, no problem there. </div></div>

Thats surprising about the cold coming from finnland you would think they would no a little something about that.</div></div>

You mean like AI did with the A(rtic) W(arfare)?? :)

Yeah but I mean damb if Finnland is one thing its cold in the winter.You would think everything they build would have extreme cold engineered into it.

Gentlemen,

Stacey has covered the most significant points of this recurring question, and I will only address a few here.

In comparing rifles, it is really hard to make valid direct comparisons. The Accuracy International AE MKII, for example has got to be the most underrated and under appreciated sniper rifle currently available. The AE MKII is really more directly comparable to the Sako TRG rifles than the AW, and the AE MKII comes in at a similar (and often lower) price. The AE MKII, of course is not available in the mighty 338 LM, as this round demands a different level of strength and construction. The AE MKII is also the product that should be considered when comparing AI to 'custom builds', not the AW series.

Exchange rate risk is a real threat to competitiveness of European manufacturers in the recent business climate, and we have witnessed significant pricing pressure on virtually all European manufactured products in the past three years. The continued growth of the U.S. debt and trade deficits will not help this situation in the near term. All AICS sold in the U.S. are manufactured here, thus protecting this product from exchange rate pressures. Canadian AICS are imported from the UK, and thus have to be priced with exchange fluctuation in mind. Customers demand a certain level of price stability, and this means that importers must make estimates of exchange rates based on historical data and good deal of forecasting. This is not an exact science, and prices must naturally err on the high side to avoid margin erosion at least half the time. Long-term FX adjustments tend to eventually result in price changes. U.S. customers of S&B scopes endured a couple of large price adjustments (up and then down) in 2008 due the large swings in EURO to Dollar FX, and we could see another upward bump in the near future as that company, like many other European firms, works to maintain competitive pricing.

Smaller vs larger manufacturers: A little known fact is that many, if not most, small U.S. gunmakers, are able to operate in such a fashion as to avoid paying the 11% Federal Excise Tax on firearms. If a company 'manufactures' 50 or fewer rifles per year, they are exempt from this tax liability. Most can legally 'manufacture' considerably in excess of that number by working with customer-supplied receivers which falls under the category of repair or gunsmithing service. This makes comparison of AI rifles to custom builds particularly difficult, as so many of the custom builds have an automatic 11% pricing advantage.

Design and Engineering: AI maintains a significant Engineering department, and has done so for the entire life of the company. This is necessary for the development of future products, and to support the many globally deployed AI sniper rifle systems. Every AI product is backed up by complete engineering drawings and specifications, and we can supply replacement components that require no machining or gunsmithing for any rifle we have ever manufactured. We undergo annual ISO certification audits, and this ensures that we maintain the resources and processes necessary to produce consistently high-quality products and the ability to support them. Certainly one can choose a less expensive product, or some facsimile of the genuine article. Of course these second-tier choices are never quite as good as the one you really wanted but talked yourself out of, and this is nowhere more evident than in the resale values. My first AW, which I still own, was manufactured in 1992, has worn out several barrels, still headspaces perfectly, and will interchange all it's parts with rifles manufactured in 2009. Best of all, should I need to sell it next week, it will fetch considerably more than it's original price.

And this brings us to the real question: What sniper rifle has the lowest <span style="text-decoration: underline">Total Cost of Ownership</span>??? The longer you own an AI and the harder you shoot them the cheaper they become.

Best regards,
--
Scott Seigmund
Vice President
Accuracy International of North America
Email: [email protected]

We had 5 TRG at our club.

2 owners where coyote hunters, both of them cracked the stock.

I am also surprised by there experience, maybe a bad production....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah but I mean damb if Finnland is one thing its cold in the winter.You would think everything they build would have extreme cold engineered into it.</div></div>

You're right...I had a business associate in Helsinki who loved Alfa Romeo's...only problem was the electrics (the one I owned 20 years ago couldn't even deal with a UK winter). So in Finland Alfa's were spec'd with additional batteries and heaters...now if the Italians could do it......why not the Finns?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Guys

I'm not bashing the brand just want to know why the high cost. In Canada they retail for around 8 grand for the folding stock Arctic Warfare. The folding stock alone is around $1500, so your paying $6500 for a barreled action. WTF. It is either the exchange rate along with the exclusivity of ownership, or both? Thoughts. </div></div>

You get what you pay for. Buying the AI AWSM was the absolute BEST firearm purchase I have made in 25 years. A comparable system built on a specialty action is going to set you back nearly as much loot. And if you shoot alot, the ability to change your own barrels and NOT have to wait until your gunsmith gets to the stick is worth any extra you might pay.

It is what it is. Apparently AI isn't having a problem selling everyone they make either. I should have bought mine along time ago.

I have two AI's and 6 barrels. I can go from a 338LM or go lower cost to shoot and switch to 300 WM.

I can shoot 308, 260, 243 or 22-250 all with 10 minutes worth of work. Would seem to be about perfect for the varmint field as one could start with 22-250 or if the wind picks up switch to 243.

As far as switching barrels don't forget the go, no-go gauges to check headspace especially for the first set-up of the barrel. The 308 set will work for 243, 260 and 308.

For the price of two guns and four barrels (two used, two new from GAP) I have 6 options....not too bad.

Pat

Oops forgot I did have to get a new bolt head to switch between the 300WM and 33LM.

From Scott:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And this brings us to the real question: What sniper rifle has the lowest Total Cost of Ownership??? The longer you own an AI and the harder you shoot them the cheaper they become.</div></div>

Jacob at RO has an AW that is his original rifle from I don't know what year, but I can tell you the rifle, has over 90,000 rounds through it, with 10 barrel changes. In that time the only issue he has had, is last year the little pin that holds the bolt release broke. It was replaced by an armorer from a class and was back in service in no time.

As well I will agree 100% on the AE, its the best deal out there for sure in a factory rifle. The AE just kicks ass, especially with the changes, its really at the top of its game with the changes.

OK you guys have me sold. Love to have an AW in .338lm. Anyway can one get an AI with a larger pistol grip for us knuckle draggers? When i grip the stock, about an inch hangs below the stock. I'm 6' 250lb, I imagine there are some big blokes in the UK. Or do they all have Michael Jackson's diminutive hand size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . Anyway can one get an AI with a larger pistol grip for us knuckle draggers? When i grip the stock, about an inch hangs below the stock. I'm 6' 250lb, I imagine there are some big blokes in the UK. Or all they all have Michael Jackson's diminutive hand size. </div></div>

John,

Too bad we can no longer get a check fit with Michael, but gloves are popular in magazines lately:)

Regards,
--
Scott Seigmund
Vice President

Scott,

I am pretty certain that you know how I felt about AI's in the past!! It took me 14 years to get over it! I just wanted to let you know that AI was way ahead of it's time, and have some features; to this day have not been improved upon! I have never had the pleasure of speaking w/ you, but the other day I spoke w/ Stacy. What a great guy! And that got me thinking 14 yrs was more than enough! Good luck in the future! Regards,
Turk

I also love my AI AW and would never part with the gun. It was the best investment because of the product's quality, dependabiltiy, and accuracy.

Matter of fact, I am also thinking of getting AI since I have such a great experience with the product and the staff (Stacy and Bill).

AI owner and shooter for life.

Sandy Wong

chrisj to answer your question:
The updates and changes to the AE MKI to the current production of the AE MKII are:
-additional barrels offered in 20" plain, 20" with muzzle brake and 24" plain
-magazine well has been opened up to utilize the AICS 5rd (Part #3901) and 10rd (Part #3902) magazines.
-trigger group has been updated to allow easy removal for cleaning and maintenance.

Turk, it was nice speaking with you again and as discussed, this is not the same "AINA" of the past. With the support of Tom Irwin, Scott and myself we will only provide top quality Customer Service and product education. As you can see from recent changes and products introduced, we have listened and reacted. So I invite you to visit with us after we are established in VA.

Oh!nooh! I am not stepping anywhere close to that place! It's like a disease w/ no cure!
cry.gif

Now thats not nice and we offer a 12 step plan which will cure all but the "empty pocket itis" at this time.

I will admit that I am rather a novice shooter w/ very limited experience w/ custom rifles; however, I do have an AIAW & I would not sell it or trade it. Maybe it’s just me; however, I find the AIAW very forgiving to shoot. I have 2 rifles, one is an AIAW & another is a semicustom Rem 700 and both shoot about the same group size. I have found that the AIAW keeps a smaller group when I shoot it or someone else shoots it when they use poor shooting technique.

I have also shot this rifle in semi-adverse conditions where other semi-custom rifles failed due to sand in their actions. Back before I got the AIAW I used to take all sorts of cleaning tools & all of my shooting gear because I did not want to make the 1 hour long one way drive only to find out that my model 700 need to be cleaned or was having problems. With the AIAW I simply pack the steel targets, ammo & the gun & off I go… I never worry about the gun failing or the fact that it may need to be cleaned, regardless of the situations that I shoot in.

As to Beenjammin that made the reference about the Ferrari. Yes the AIAW is kind of like a Ferrari… everyone will tell you the problems with a Ferrari; however, if you gave those people an opportunity to drive a Ferrari they would. I often catch heat for people calling my rifle just a plastic gun; however, when I ask them if they want to shoot it, I have yet to have someone decline and end up with a small on their face when they are able to consistently ring steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Guys

I'm not bashing the brand just want to know why the high cost. In Canada they retail for around 8 grand for the folding stock Arctic Warfare. The folding stock alone is around $1500, so your paying $6500 for a barreled action. WTF. It is either the exchange rate along with the exclusivity of ownership, or both? Thoughts. </div></div>

I first learned of AI via a friend of mine who spent sometime in the Israeli army making “precise shots” if you know what I mean. I have also spend the last four years shooting competitively, both State and Nationwide and learned a few things about dependability, consistency at any given time or weather condition.

Consistency is probably the biggest factor when buying a product that is sold to the general public in large scale. My AW is a great product, and a formidable weapon too. We are spoiled with so many choices, but when I spend my own money and if I “were to spend” someone else’s money I would buy an Accuracy International rifle.

And here is why;

write down all of what is necessary attributes of a weapon system to get the job done despite of the task you are in; military, LE or recreational and then you ask- can I trust the AI to be that weapon? To “me” the answer is yes, so that is why I wrote that check when I bought my gun without recitation.

1. consistency of manufacturing
2. engineering
3. innovation
4. dependability

Are the attributes of the AI company, I am not here to argue what you do with your money but to give you a prospective of a satisfied customer instead.

I wish you luck and I hope you can one day too own a AI AW rifle like mine.

Best Regards,

SC

I find that my AI will gobble just about any ammo type and maintain consistent accuracy levels. Tuned 700s seem to be more finicky regarding what they like to be fed and the accuracy they produce.

I'd never get rid of my AE 308, and I'd trade my custom AICS-stocked REM700 300WM in two seconds if I could afford an AI 300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who else can ship you a replacement barrel that you can screw in without the adjustment of the headspace by a gunsmith?

Lots of guys around here with Surgeon Actions in an AICS that have switch barrel setups. Nothing against AI (Im a huge fan), but I'd bet a custom rig done by GAP, Surgeon, APA, etc, with a Surgeon Action would outshoot a factory AI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that my AI will gobble just about any ammo type and maintain consistent accuracy levels. Tuned 700s seem to be more finicky regarding what they like to be fed and the accuracy they produce.

I'd never get rid of my AE 308, and I'd trade my custom AICS-stocked REM700 300WM in two seconds if I could afford an AI 300WM.
</div></div>

I am saving money to buy my next AW rifle. 338 Lapua of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing against AI (Im a huge fan), but I'd bet a custom rig done by GAP, Surgeon, APA, etc, with a Surgeon Action would outshoot a factory AI </div></div>

How much are you willing to bet? I'm willing to bet a lot, and I'm extending an open invitation to make the point. I'm also willing to slam my AW butt first on concrete 50 times with sights mounted before we get down to the shooting. Are you willing do the same? Why don't we plan to meet in Oak Ridge TN in late August and put this to rest. You can pic the exact date after August 15. We'll shoot the same lots of .308 ammo, and I'll arrange for ammunition from several makers to be delivered to an independent party.

Best regards,
--
Scott Seigmund
Vice President

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will admit that I am rather a novice shooter w/ very limited experience w/ custom rifles; however, I do have an AIAW & I would not sell it or trade it. Maybe it’s just me; however, I find the AIAW very forgiving to shoot. I have 2 rifles, one is an AIAW & another is a semicustom Rem 700 and both shoot about the same group size. I have found that the AIAW keeps a smaller group when I shoot it or someone else shoots it when they use poor shooting technique.

I have also shot this rifle in semi-adverse conditions where other semi-custom rifles failed due to sand in their actions. Back before I got the AIAW I used to take all sorts of cleaning tools & all of my shooting gear because I did not want to make the 1 hour long one way drive only to find out that my model 700 need to be cleaned or was having problems. With the AIAW I simply pack the steel targets, ammo & the gun & off I go… I never worry about the gun failing or the fact that it may need to be cleaned, regardless of the situations that I shoot in.

As to Beenjammin that made the reference about the Ferrari. Yes the AIAW is kind of like a Ferrari… everyone will tell you the problems with a Ferrari; however, if you gave those people an opportunity to drive a Ferrari they would. I often catch heat for people calling my rifle just a plastic gun; however, when I ask them if they want to shoot it, I have yet to have someone decline and end up with a small on their face when they are able to consistently ring steel.
</div></div>

I like what you said about the forgivability of the rifle. I also let a friend who had never fired a rifle in his life shoot 5 168gr FG through it and he stacked them in one big hole. I was really quite shocked figuring he would certainly flinch. This rifle makes you look good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: senna.bra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that my AI will gobble just about any ammo type and maintain consistent accuracy levels. Tuned 700s seem to be more finicky regarding what they like to be fed and the accuracy they produce.

</div></div>

I am saving money to buy my next AW rifle. 338 Lapua of course. </div></div>

It will be worth every penny of that. I love my AIAWSM 338LM. If ammo weren't so expensive, I'll be shooting it every single day. That's why the little brother AIAW 308 is the cure for my addiction (even then 308 ammo are getting expensive these days.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottSeigmund</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing against AI (Im a huge fan), but I'd bet a custom rig done by GAP, Surgeon, APA, etc, with a Surgeon Action would outshoot a factory AI </div></div>

How much are you willing to bet? I'm willing to bet a lot, and I'm extending an open invitation to make the point. I'm also willing to slam my AW butt first on concrete 50 times with sights mounted before we get down to the shooting. Are you willing do the same? Why don't we plan to meet in Oak Ridge TN in late August and put this to rest. You can pic the exact date after August 15. We'll shoot the same lots of .308 ammo, and I'll arrange for ammunition from several makers to be delivered to an independent party.

Best regards,
--
Scott Seigmund
Vice President
Email: [email protected] </div></div>

If it goes down, can you video that and post it for us to see? It should be interesting to see.

Being a skeptic that I am, when I first got my AIAW, I did the abuse test that Scott did in the video. Didn't take the barrel off since I don't have the barrel vise, but it was true as advertised. It definitely was repeatable. Sold me on that. That's why I had to have the AIAWSM 338 LM.

I also let a friend at our range shot my AI AW (308 Win) and his groups were better than his custom McMillan custom 308 Win Rifle.

I was very content/happy to see the smile on his face after shooting my rifle because his groups were smaller than his custom rifle. My rifle was the control rifle in determining if his groups were a result of poor shooting technics or if the culprit was the rifle. After shooting app 6 EA three round groups at 100 yards from the bench, he was able to narrow his "issue" to his rifle and not himself (shooter). Matter of fact, I had to pry my rifle from his hand.

I would highly recommend the AI rifle product line but understand each shooter's financial situation if constrained. My next rifle will definately be ANOTHER AI rifle for sure. Have to sort out the caliber (300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, or just the new AE). Since I am getting older, must consider recoil but I have shot the AI AWM in 300 Win and the recoil was less than my hunting rifle and my Remmy 700P.

Happy AI AW owner for life.

Sandy Wong

Stacey, Scott, et als, you guys are just rubbing my nose in it with your responses. As an engineer I readily KNOW that the AI SYSTEM is the best SYSTEM for what the rifle package was designed for. I had the opportunity to purchase an AWP and extra barrel for $5k back in 2006 and passed due to the prohibitive price. I ended up purchasing an FN SPR A3G rifle which I don't regret having. The thing is... everytime I see an AI I wonder: what would it be like to open the safe and see the "jolly green giant"? Truth is I don't shoot much at all - I don't have the time but I can appreciate your product as well as any owner. I keep what I call a "List of Superlatives" and the Accuracy International AWP is on that list. That's not to imply that the FN or Remington, etc., etc. are junk - they'll ALL outshoot me - the concept and execution of the project works! It would take a Power Ball Lotto win (I purchase one ticket for every $100 million pot) I'd call you for two rifles and two extra barrels. I'd probably pick it up in the Porsche 997 GT3 Club Sport I'd be driving, too.

Keep up the good work; thanks for the product and maybe one day I can convince myself to purchase one (I could sell the A3G and optices and then swing another $2k and believe me I think about it.

P.S.

Any need for a damned good engineer with a love of all weapons, particularly rifles?

Take care

John, i have owned both systems, i had a AWP for 2 years and fancied a change, was offered good money so sold the AI and bought a TRG 22 green/phosphate. Both guns are great, extremely accurate out of the box, both tough and very well made. The AI is a bit heavier but not uncomfortably so. I have owned the trg for 3 years now and have not had any of the breakage issues mentioned in this thread. If you have the money buy an AI, if not buy a TRG neither gun will disapoint you although i do agree the AI's are getting pretty expensive.

I have an AIAW made about 1999 and has been shot and re-barreled, so this is not a safe queen. I can’t imagine what would break it’s a tank, does what it was designed to do every time. Guess my only observations about the rifle which are not 100% positive but understood are that it is a handful weight wise (weight training helps but it is still heavy) but that is require to make it durable. Just wish there was some away to pare down the weight lighter rail material with out sacrificing durability but that most likely would require more $$$$ ( Titanium, composite material ) so it’s a trade off. I believe I was told at one time that options were being considered.

Barrel cost of replacement with AW barrels, I would be interested to find out how many US owners re-barrel with AW barrels? I understand that AI has to produce inventory and hold in stock barrels (then the economic issues, tax, dollar/euro, etc) all adds to the cost plus the military market being the primary market. At present mine wears a 5P Schneider barrel about total $500 chambered/installed with another in the closet; I would have ordered an AI barrel but could not justify the cost with some fine barrel makers in the US.

Absolutely no regrets best rifle purchase (and there are many) I have ever made. You do have to learn to ignore all the helpful advice (jealousy, envy or ignorance driven) such as I was given, unsolicited, this week by an F class shooter (owner of a new Savage 36” barrel .308) that the AI was a “field rifle an only marginally adequate” nothing against Savage but it’s not the same thing. Or it’s for rich guys with to much money, given what I paid for it way back it has retained ( increased ) more value than other investigates such as (stock, 401K or autos). So has the ( purchase price used back some years ago)$800 SB AI MK II 3-12 which he did not understand why I shot that at a 1000 yds either.

"Lots of guys around here with Surgeon Actions in an AICS that have switch barrel setups. Nothing against AI (Im a huge fan), but I'd bet a custom rig done by GAP, Surgeon, APA, etc, with a Surgeon Action would outshoot a factory AI"

Is accuracy the only measure of a SWS? If I built a 50lb rail gun or BR rife that could exceed the accuracy of my AI does that make it better, or are there other factors and considerations? A certain post about a match last year and what failed and what didnt comes to mind
smile.gif

Shane

On the recoil of the .300WM, just as a basis of understanding, my son has been shooting the AI AWM .300WM since he was 9 years old. Turn around and look at you with a smile and ask for more ammo. Not the average or normal response to this caliber in any other weapon system that I have worked with.

I comparison of the AI "AE" to any of your custom builds, I believe you will find the "pricing" to be extremely competitive. Then you look at rebarreling the AE after say 5-10k rounds at $500.00 complete meaning chambered, threaded and painted, ready to go + any shipping cost obviously, with a 72 hour or less turn around. Now honestly, where can you get that response???

To rubbing your face in it, naaaa. To the best system available, 100% agree. One thing a lot of perspective buyers/owners have not looked at or mentioned comes to the systems safety. Look at the AI true firing pin/bolt safety design in comparison to "others" which utilize the same factory design. Obviously that particular trigger safety has serious faults and will fall, it is just a matter of time. Others such as the Winchester and FN of course have a safety which is much better and respected as such. Accuracy is always the high point of any conversation, but there are many other key features to the AI system not remotely challenged by any other.

BTW, I am a very happy and satisfied Accuracy International Owner (x?? and growing) for life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do have to learn to ignore all the helpful advice (jealousy, envy or ignorance driven) </div></div>

Sad to say Unsichtbar, but what you say about jealousy,envy and ignorance is right on the money...I've found it especially true when shooting alongside the TR fraternity here in the UK!

But then the way I see it, it's their loss

I have had exactly the same experience in F/TR here in the UK.

Was patronised like hell when my tape, snot, shit and blood covered AI was unslipped....at least that was until I wiped the floor with a lot of them. Cant say I came first but I was happy with 7th in the group.

regards

Ewen

Yea I got to tip my hat to sako for sure. I had an AW, sold t for a sako and extra $$$, the sako shot just as good, but I missed my AW, so I sold the sako and got another AW.

Im gonna just stop now and buy another sako one day .

Ill say thins though, they sako did not eject my brass as well. both bolts were smooth, but if I didnt pull the bolt back on the sako with enough force, the case just fell in the chamber on top of the next round so I had to eject the mag to get it out. AW never had any trouble. May have just been my rifle IDK.

There's one guy like that shoots in our club...VERY expensive skeletal TR style rifle and multi-colour leather TR jacket....gets really snotty about anything that doesn't "conform" to his idea - especially muzzle brakes. Always very quick with the sarcasm!

I shot next to him at 600yds a couple of months back after he had previously passed such comments about my AW in a stage whispher to a couple of his cronies.....

Loved the look on his face when every shot of mine was in the V and he was all over the paper!

Revenge is a dish........