• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy issues m1a socom II Troy MCS chassis

Ammotragus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Chapman Ranch, TX
Looking for trouble shooting tips on my Springfield socom II with a Troy MCS chassis upgrade... Group size is inconsistent at best! Any suggestions?

Re: Accuracy issues m1a socom II Troy MCS chassis

What kind of accuracy are you getting? 2-3 MOA??? Remember that it is not a precision rifle but rather a battle rifle. My M1A NM averaged sub minute groups but there is several differences between it and a SOCOM II. My M1A was also succeptible to the barrel heating up and thus stringing shots. I love these rifles but there are certainly better choices for a precision platform.

Ammo type? Are the groups stringing in a certain direction? Exactly what size are the groups and is this something new once switching over to the new stock?

Also, SOCOM IIs aren't known for their accuracy in the first place.

I've tried several factory loads and have seen the best results with 168gr/varget combo and the best group was about 2". I'm new to the forum and haven't found out how post pics from my phone.... I'll try to post a pic of the target... After that day on he range I have not been able to get it to shoot anywhere near a 2"'group with any ammo combination... The same 2" size group I was getting at 100 yards with the factory open sights with the factory stock... Thinking about ditching the Troy all together? I think there is too much pressure on the trigger group... This is my first m1a/m14 style build and just don't know what to expect.... Or what to trouble shoot for! Looking for any help.

Great news guys I backed the tension screws off .5 turn that hold the trigger group in an the first 5 shot group was around 1" looks like It was Puting too much pressure on the action! I'll try to post a few pics, thanks for your response I guess I just needed to step back and look at it from a different angle.

Sorry still trying to get used to the forum... I loosened the screws that hold the trigger group and my next 5 shot group was just over 1" I'll try to post some pics once I figure it out!

ANy M14 is at best a 1 - 2MOA stick unless it has serious Match parts and accuracy work done to it. My FA M14 will shoot just a hair over or under 1 MOA at 100M, but that's as far as I can see with it. When I scope it I know it will shoot better(or I will shoot it better). It's one of their older model medium bbl match rifles