• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy Loss - Bipod vs BenchRest Setup

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am constructing an AR15, and am looking for top accuracy at 100 and 200 yards. I would expect shooting off a bipod is less accurate than shooting off a heavy benchrest arrangement, but how much difference might there be (shooting off a bench)? Is it possible to shoot tiny groups (.25 MOA), off a bipod?

- Phil

Re: Accuracy Loss - Bipod vs BenchRest Setup

I use my .260 in an AICS and that is all I shoot it off of. Won and placed in several matches in heavey custom and placed 5th today in heavey custom class in the North East Varmint Hunters Regional match shooting against some of the best BR shooters around here. Only one good hit seperated 2nd through 5th. 1rst kicked all our asses.

Just takes practice, a technique that works for you and more practice.

Show up to a heavy custom match against BR shooters with a bipod on your rifle and they laugh.

Spanking 98% of the BR guns, 2oz triggers and $1000 farley rests with a bipod - Priceless : )

JamieD
All Hogs Go To Heaven II

IMG_4042.jpg

i have more accuracy out of a bipod than i do a br. it is easier to have repeatability and no cant with a bipod

On a light recoiling rig like an AR it probably wont make much difference, with a heavier recoiling rifle the bags work better for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it is easier to have repeatability and no cant with a bipod </div></div>

What? Care to qualify that statement?

I mean no offense, but it sounds like saying you can drill more accurate holes with a hand drill than with a drill press...

I started to shoot F-class this year and decided to go with a bipod , I am in the open class and I can haul just about any rest to the line. Once I realized I needed to take my Ray-Bans off to see the X-ring through my 18 power, my scores have stayed in the mid to high 190's. Maybe the rest could squeeze a point or more out but I may at the limit of my ability.

I use a Rock bipod most of the time and have replaced the nut that tightens the ball and socket joint with an adjustment handle, think PodLok. As soon as the prep time starts I tighten the handle so my vertical cross hairs are parallel to the edge of the target holder. This eliminates any cant.

Just my two cents,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am constructing an AR15, and am looking for top accuracy at 100 and 200 yards. I would expect shooting off a bipod is less accurate than shooting off a heavy benchrest arrangement, but how much difference might there be (shooting off a bench)? Is it possible to shoot tiny groups (.25 MOA), off a bipod?

- Phil </div></div>

What is going to be important for accuracy with a AR-15 is a free floating handguard, regardless of the shooting arrangement. The recoil impulse of the AR-15 will allow you to shoot quite well either way. I shoot F-T/R with a .223 AR-15 and that means bipod only. I used a VersaPod before moving on to the current Sinclair. I find that I can be VERY accurate off the bench with the bipod or prone with the bipod, down to the level you are hoping for. At 100 yards, it's child's play to keep all the bullet holes touching for groups of 10 or more. What you will find is that cheek placement and trigger control will be determining factors here.

Hey,
Just back from our 2nd of a two day, 2 match weekend. I made the 4 way tie for first place in heavy unlimited with my bi-pod! Officially 2nd only due to tie breaking rules. 139 guns registered split amoungst heavy, light and factory classes.

Man I could see the disbelief on thier faces, what a hoot. R @ D rifle that just won't stop shooting : ) Thanks Randy!

JamieD

P.S. It's funny when you start winning the amount of people asking about your gear. Looks like I'm going to have to set up some Bench Rest classes on using a bi-pod : )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am constructing an AR15, and am looking for top accuracy at 100 and 200 yards. I would expect shooting off a bipod is less accurate than shooting off a heavy benchrest arrangement, but how much difference might there be (shooting off a bench)? Is it possible to shoot tiny groups (.25 MOA), off a bipod?

- Phil </div></div>

What is going to be important for accuracy with a AR-15 is a free floating handguard, regardless of the shooting arrangement. The recoil impulse of the AR-15 will allow you to shoot quite well either way. I shoot F-T/R with a .223 AR-15 and that means bipod only. I used a VersaPod before moving on to the current Sinclair. I find that I can be VERY accurate off the bench with the bipod or prone with the bipod, down to the level you are hoping for. At 100 yards, it's child's play to keep all the bullet holes touching for groups of 10 or more. What you will find is that cheek placement and trigger control will be determining factors here. </div></div>

The rifle has a free float handguard, as well as a host of other parts to help ensure accuracy. It does sound though that the bipod should not be a hindrance. This rifle will be heavy, especially in the nose, with a 22" long, .920" muzzle barrel. It shouldn't move much with the .223 round.

I am working very carefully to ensure proper cheekweld and ensure I have the exact right scope height and eye relief. I expect the Geissele trigger to permit me to perform good trigger control, as long as I do my part.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hairy spotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it is easier to have repeatability and no cant with a bipod </div></div>

What? Care to qualify that statement?

I mean no offense, but it sounds like saying you can drill more accurate holes with a hand drill than with a drill press... </div></div>

sure...the bipod is in the exact same position under the gun always. not saying your br set up is not but it is not an option with a bipod. i also find it a little more difficult to keep from inducing some unintentional cant to your hold with a br. while that may not be an issue for shooters who roll cant into your dope it is a big issue for tactical and other lr shooting where your target is not at a known distance with neat square edges. finally, what makes a bench rest a drill press of anykind as i assume you don't have it bolted to the bench etc.

wwbrown,
Could you post a pic of the adjustment handle you use on your Rock bipod.
I just bought one, and would like to see your set up.

It all depends on the situation and environment you are shooting in, what world you want to shoot in, BR, or others where you shoot from various positions.
If you bench the rifle you can qualify,quantify a load or loads, but when you go prone or any other position its a different animal. Mounting the rifle, slinging up, etc. put different pressures on the rifle and you WILL get different results. Not necessarily worse groups, but different. Cheek weld, eye relief, everything is different.

Bipod with rear sandbag is the easiest IMO because you don't have to worry about resetting the position on the front bag.
Also the rifle cant angle is more consistent imo.

1/2" groups are very possible for me with this setup(sometimes 1/4"). I swear by my rubber strips of bungie chord material between the bipod and front tube as a buffer.Its stiff and repeatable but gives ever so slightly under recoil(needs to be tight).It helps the bipod from sliding or jumping because of its slight flex.
I have a shorty bipod setup like JamieD.