• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy node Vs. Barrel Harmonics

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
Please school me on this. When working up a new load, how do you tell between the two. which is better to have?

If this has been covered before, please post a link for me. I did try using the search. Thanks for your patience.

Re: Accuracy node Vs. Barrel Harmonics

Google the following....

Creighton Audette ladder test

wink.gif

Optimal barrel time OBT
Optimal charge weight OCW
And Audette Ladder are all related to accuracy nodes.

OBT is a theory about how the pressure wave of the powder burning travels up and down the barrel. Here, you want the wave near the action as the bullet leaves the muzzle. Thus, the muzzle is least disturbed, and the bullet flies true.

OCW is a theory about how to find an accuracy node and then find out how wide a charge weight will still be acceptably close to that accuracy node. Here, you are looking for an accuracy node by charge-weight, not by barrel time as above. But the same physics is taking place in the barrel.

Audette ladder is a theory about shooting and how the muzzle of the barrel is moving around when the bullet leaves the muzzle. The place where the barrel is not moving is where the accuracy node is supposed to be. This should be where the wave in the barrel is farthest from the muzzle and closely aligned to OBT.

There will be 4-6 accuracy nodes from minimal charge weight to maximal charge weight. The reloaders job is to identify those nodes for his gun(s).

I ran a charge weight test @ 300 meters out of a 6mm BR a few years ago. My charge weight variation was unbelievable. I could vary more than 2 full grains, and printed less than 1.5 inches @ 300 meters. No kidding. There's value in determining optimal charge weight.

Also some rifles are forgiving and others are picky bastards. I tried an ladder test at 200yards with a .270 and ended up with a round group the was a bit under 3/4moa. The same day I ran a ladder with a .223 and had a vertical group measuring over 4" and moved in a diagonal pattern from left to right as the charge went up....