• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy nodes & quick load?

Lrush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Alabama
Can you use quick load to help determine next approximate accuracy node

Chamber an empty case, slide a dowel down the barrel until it stops, make a pencil mark at the muzzle, remove dowel from barrel, measure the part of the dowel that was in the barrel to the pencil mark with tape measure.

Some folks like to subtract the length of the base of the case (boltface) to the base of the loaded bullet where the bullet goes full diameter, not counting the boattail, to get true bullet travel distance to bullet exit.

Or so I have been told...

Do you measure barrel length from the recoil lug or the vent hole?

From the bolt face. Use a cleaning rod.

I don't subtract out the case distance. If I do that my barrel length is 2" shorter and the QL does not jive with what the load does on paper.

I personally have always measured with an empty case in the chamber, but there is only about 3/16" difference roughly so it doesn't really make much difference.

Folks do all sorts of strange and wonderful things in the never ending pursuit of accuracy...

It's all fun and interesting.

For use in OBT, DO NOT use a casing to measure barrel length. You're establishing a basis for calculating how long it takes the shock wave to travel up and down the length of your barrel (at the speed of sound through steel). The thickness of the base of your cartridge has NO IMPACT on this phenomenon.

If you don't read Chris Long's instructions, you'll have no idea why you're doing what you're doing. And when your real world data fails to match QL's predictions -- which I guarantee it will -- you won't have the background to know where to look for the fix.

Read Chris Long's instructions, and search this forum for how I and others apply OBT as a matter of practice.

To round out my previous post, this is a cut-n-paste from Chris Long's synopsis of the OBT concept (link here):

! READ ME FIRST !

Read the Summary below and the original paper before trying this technique

Barrel lengths are measured from the bolt face to the muzzle crown