• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Accuracy of 9MM VS. .40 S&W

encoreguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2006
I know the 9MM VS. .40 S&W has been beat to death but is one cartridge more inhearantly accurate than the other? I am looking to buy my first semi-auto handgun and accuracy is more important than Kinetic energy to me. I am not necessarly recoil sensitive so that should not be a big factor though I know it does play a role.

Re: Accuracy of 9MM VS. .40 S&W

At what distance are you speaking? I believe the gun itself and the barrel have a lot to do with accuracy as well, not just the caliber. You can get two 1911s, one expensive and worked over and the other just a cheapie pawn shop gun, and you're going to have one gun that outshoots the other one every time at anything outside of 10 yards.

Are you wanting to shoot competitions, have an accurate self defense gun, or something in between?

I would attack this from a recoil perspective. Basically you need to incease the weight on the gun shooting .40sw by about 50% to have a similar recoil experience.

Also 9 is cheaper so you'll shoot more which will help your accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At what distance are you speaking? I believe the gun itself and the barrel have a lot to do with accuracy as well, not just the caliber. You can get two 1911s, one expensive and worked over and the other just a cheapie pawn shop gun, and you're going to have one gun that outshoots the other one every time at anything outside of 10 yards.

Are you wanting to shoot competitions, have an accurate self defense gun, or something in between? </div></div>

I am looking into a XDM in either 9 or .40 and it would be used for self defense and target. I know in rifles some cartridges are more inhearantely accurate than others. I was just curious if that held true with these two pistol rounds.

I rented one of the XD .40 and was really surprised at the point and shoot the gun just pointed right to point of impact. I could get center mass hit everytime at 25 yards and had never even shoot this gun before very suprising to me.

Don't think you could go wrong with either of the XDM's. 9mm and .40 are fairly cheap and easy to find the ammo for. I still see 9 and 40 ammo in most of the local gun shops.

shoot them both if you can. Lots more to consider ...I've never heard of such a thing between 9 and 40 or even 45 or 380.

In the same model gun you're not going to see a difference like you're suggesting if the only thing different is the calibers.

Both are straight walled pistol calibers with short barrels and short sight radius', they're close to the same diameter and both have low BC's so at 200 yards you're not going to get MOA accuracy.

If you like the XD, choose whichever caliber is more comfortable to shoot and gets the job done, neither will have an accuracy edge for a stock OEM pistol straight from the box.

+1 on not a big difference in two identical pistols in different calibers. Barrel length/sight radius will make a bigger difference.

If you start comparing different pistols to decide what you like I'd use two of the same caliber. Then compare that pistol in different calibers to make your final decision.

...or get one of each.

Thanks for the input guys. Quite a while ago I remember that the 9MM was getting some bad press on accuracy. Smaller case capacity and higher pressure was giving some inconsistency. I think I will see if I can find a local range to try out a 9mm, .40 and .45 acp. I know I cannot get a XDM in .45 acp but I could get a .45 ACP in a XD tatical. It seems that the .45acp might be another option but I will have to see what the recoil is like.