• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy of a SOCOM 16?

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
I'm picking up a SOCOM 16 from a buddy at work. I'm not buying the rifle for a precision base, I'm getting it regardless. I'm just wondering how accurate they are out of the box.

Re: Accuracy of a SOCOM 16?

Define your idea of precision. Its a 16" battle rifle, best case scenario, 2" groups at 100 yards stock. If you tune it up, 1 1/2" at 100 yards. My recomendation, have fun with it, because she is a loud little bitch, and fun as hell with iron sights.

If you want to improve her, get a Sadlak solid spring guide and TiN coated piston.

Here's mine, I put her in USGI and ditched the scout rail

socom003.jpg

I intend to have a lot of fun with it
smile.gif
Reason I ask about accuracy is he has a Leupy scope on it. It's a big bore pistol scope they make. I guess that's the best match for the extra long eye relief. I was debating on whether or not to keep it on there but I think a 16" MBR is best enjoyed with irons unless it's somehow a sub MOA gun.

My friend has one and we developed the following load where it would shoot cloverleafs for the first three shots:

44gr of TAC with a Nosler Competition 168gr CCI Large Rifle seated to max spec allowed length.

The thing with the gun though, is after the first three shots, the groups open up as the barrel heats up. Maybe if you replaced the barrel with a cut rifle one you will be able to hold the cloverleafs.

You can uPgrade the SOCOM

September 4th, 2010:

I spoke with Ron yesterday and he informed me that 20 of the first
batch of 40 16.25" barrels available to civilians are spoken for.

The price is $315.00 plus $75.00 installation.

SEI has tested their new 16" barrels and report consistent accuracy of
about 1 MOA. This is as good as their short lived chrome lined 18" barrel.

Read more: http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo...2#ixzz141cm6EVc

1 MOA is damn good for a battle rifle, I might have to look into that. Thanks for the link.

i can shoot sub MOA with mine with a Eotech...

upgrades:

NM trigger job
m25 gas cylinder (unitized)
Sadlak NM op rod spring guide
Sadlak TIN gas piston
chrome silicon op rod and hammer springs
custom USGI stock

2254.jpg

and this is my current "HUNTING" setup...light and quick handling..

socomkcq024.jpg

socomkcq026.jpg

I really like that stock mod. Did you do the work yourself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can shoot sub MOA with mine with a <span style="font-weight: bold">Eotech</span>...

</div></div>

that is a hell of a feat.... got pictures?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chongoMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like that stock mod. Did you do the work yourself? </div></div>

thanks, i did do the work myself...it was an old USGI stock i reshaped and stained...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can shoot sub MOA with mine with a <span style="font-weight: bold">Eotech</span>...

</div></div>

that is a hell of a feat.... got pictures? </div></div>

i just looked and i dont...only a 3 shot .5" group at 50 yards...

IMG_3085.jpg

post some pictures up next time you plug away at 100... 5+ shot group.

will do...i know it sounds odd, compared to what others have experienced with their SOCOMs...it was done with 165gr hpbt..

yep pretty much...i had to open up the area that the upper rail section clamped to on the op-rod guide...rifle is for sale if anyone is interested...i just dont have the post count to post it in the "for sale" section...
the USGI before i modified it:

Picture214-1.jpg

some setup changes...

my SOCOM 2 from as it is now to how it was...

socomkcq020.jpg

quinngravedigger007.jpg

newsocom008.jpg

2255.jpg

2254.jpg

Picture230.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will do...i know it sounds odd, compared to what others have experienced with their SOCOMs...it was done with 165gr hpbt.. </div></div>

Well, yes it would be on the higher end of accuracy for the SOCOM, but that's not what's so surprising- the fact that you can do with with an eotech at 100yards is what's so surprising; almost unbelievable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will do...i know it sounds odd, compared to what others have experienced with their SOCOMs...it was done with 165gr hpbt.. </div></div>

Well, yes it would be on the higher end of accuracy for the SOCOM, but that's not what's so surprising- the fact that you can do with with an eotech at 100yards is what's so surprising; almost unbelievable.</div></div>

The trick to shooting tighter with an EOTech is to turn the intensity down as low as you can before you lose sight of the reticle, and then give it maybe one click up in power from that point (using the 1 MOA dot, obviously).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will do...i know it sounds odd, compared to what others have experienced with their SOCOMs...it was done with 165gr hpbt.. </div></div>

Well, yes it would be on the higher end of accuracy for the SOCOM, but that's not what's so surprising- the fact that you can do with with an eotech at 100yards is what's so surprising; almost unbelievable.</div></div>

The trick to shooting tighter with an EOTech is to turn the intensity down as low as you can before you lose sight of the reticle, and then give it maybe one click up in power from that point (using the 1 MOA dot, obviously). </div></div>

I know- but that is still a rather uncommon feat to hold that kind of consistency with an unmagnified red dot

[/quote]

I know- but that is still a rather uncommon feat to hold that kind of consistency with an unmagnified red dot [/quote]

i agree 100%...just had a good day i guess..

That's awesome, thanks for the pictures. Can't wait to get a hold of mine. It also has a NM trigger job.

61003_442963237939_699592939_5125594_2697858_n.jpg

10 shots with my Colt at 300 yards. Yeah I pulled a couple, but still. 2moa dot M4 Aimpoint. Pretty sure I was shooting 75gr TAP. At 100yds with an Eotech on a M1a I'm betting it isn't overy hard to get tight groups.