• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accuracy of savage rifles???

gman4955

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Mackay Qld australia
Was looking around on the net at savage rifles. Wats your opinions? Are they as accurate as they say they are out of the box? What savage models are worth looking at? And why? Thanks

Re: accuracy of savage rifles???

That's a lot of questions. LOL I have two savages that shoot great. A 116 in .325 wsm that I shot an honest .3 ctc group with my handloads, and a 17hmr that's just plain fun. Savage is known for their out of the box accuracy and their f-class rigs have won competitions with NO mods. So that kind of speaks for itself. If you are looking for folks to tell you to buy one. I am not that guy. I own a couple of different manufacturers rifles and I do have a preference towards grabbing the savage when it's time to hunt.

Savage is the best out there!!! You cannot find a rifle anywhere in the world that will shoot better!!! Of Course that is my opinion, as I have not shot anything else? LOL!

I had a Savage model 12 in 308 a few years back that was an extremely poor shooter which I ended up selling. That kind of turned me off of their rifles for quite a while. A number of people told me I just happened to get a bad one and I should have sent it back, but what was done was done by then. I gave them another chance and purchased a Savage MK II TR in 22 lr this past spring. That rifle has proven to be an exceptional shooter right out of the box.

My thoughts are they are no better or worse than any other quality manufacturer out there. I'd suggest getting behind one for a test drive if you can and see if you like it.

I've got 4 Savages and one M700 sitting in the safe. My 12FV has a factory .223 barrel and shoots 5-shot .4 groups @ 100yd with handloads and ~1" groups @ 100 with UMC yellow box 55gr metal case ammo. It would probably shoot better, but I'm the weak link in the accuracy chain.

Savages are great rifles, but with their rise in popularity prices have gone up too, and they aren't the screaming value-for-accuracy that they were 5-10 years ago.

That said, Savage seems MUCH better than Remington at offering what shooters want, ie. they make multiple rifles chambered in 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor with 8 twist barrels, factory rifles in 6mm BR, ultralight rifles, tactical rifles in two different stocks, threaded barrels, etc.

Biggest upside to a Savage, IMO, is that you can do 99% of work to them in your basement or garage with a minimal investment in tools and still achieve excellent accuracy, including changing barrels and/or calibers.

Savage is MY choice, but that doesn't make them any better than Remmys or Win/FNs or __________.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My thoughts are they are no better or worse than any other quality manufacturer out there. I'd suggest getting behind one for a test drive if you can and see if you like it.
</div></div>

I believe this to be true also. Every manufactuer makes good ones and bad ones.

I looked hard at the remingtons and other various brands out there before buying my Savage 12 F-T/R 308. They all seemed to have the same "production" build and fit with production tolerances, Savage included.
So to me, 1st pick was a AI or Sako TRG...since I am brand new to the LR game and couldn't justify the cost just yet (or really afford it), I went with what I felt was the most accurate (and DIY mod-able) gun out of the box, and after hours of searching on the net, that seemed to be a Savage.
I bought the F-T/R model because I figured it would give me the most out of a factory 308 for a couple of reasons:
-Target accu-trigger (SWEET!)
-30in barrel so more fps
-Triple pillar bedded
-Figured since it was a target model and hopefully a more profiled gun in public (seeing as Team Savage shoots them), it would get a little more attention and TLC during the build process.
-And the F-class thing seems to excite me the most above anything else, oh and LR groundhog shooting too, love doing that.
So an accurate, single shot rifle was fine for me.

Below is 5 shots, but only at 100yds with FGMM 168gr and includes the first shot out the barrel after a full clean (left middle round).
2011-09-10_14-35-48_245.jpg

I will be stretching it's legs here real soon but for now search for Darrell Buell on here and ask him how his Savage is treating him
wink.gif

Thanks for the input. so many rifles so many choices. I was lookin at howa's but they don't seem to be very liked. Was also lookin at ruger m77 and a remington 700. But these savages seem to be the way to go, very good priced and very accurate for their price tag.. is accesories/parts expensive for these rifles? I'm full of questions I know but I love this sport, and I am very new to it.. thanks again lol

Picked up an F-class in 6.5x284. Called Tom Manners and ordered a T4. Put an NXS on top of it and voila!!! I love the weapon and it shoots lights out. Love the Savage.

I know they exist, but I am yet to see a Savage that won't shoot...

Hows this for you... My club has a 7 match series each year. 5 rounds @ 200, 5@300, 5@400, and 5@600. It is broken into factory and custom. About 10-15 rifles in each class.

Savage rifles took 1st, 2nd and 3rd this year in factory class... A Savage FTR in 308, A 10FP in 308, and a Savage Tactical in 260.

Hard to argue with that.

and there are those that will say that in the next town they have the same matches and remmys took first second and third.

im not one of them guys.

im one of the guys that says lets get the two clubs together for some BBQ and shooting

I switche from a 5r to a built savage 10 and couldn't be happier. Very in expensive to change calibers or barrel length and mine is a laser

I want a 243, but wat model of savage you guys reccomend?? I wanna do long range, 600yds at the most? I want a good all rounder, for hunting and target?? Thanks again

The other advantage to Savage rifles is the ease and cost of putting together a custom rifle. Buy a $250 used Savage action and a new pre fitted barrel and you have a custom rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and there are those that will say that in the next town they have the same matches and remmys took first second and third.

im not one of them guys.

im one of the guys that says lets get the two clubs together for some BBQ and shooting </div></div>

You're absolutely correct, however, my point was not that Savage is better - only that they are totally capable of hanging with other accurate factory rifles!

I had one in .308 Win. Very good rifle for the money. Able to shoot better than me. I have all Rem 700 now. Just like the action better. Savage do make some nice rifles though. Looksing at one of there Scouts.

My buddy bought a savage from Walmart for $389 in 243 that shot under a minute.

All of my law enforcement series Savages have been 1/2 moa rifles out of the box with good ammo. The triggers are only ok but they can be replaced for around $100.

My 3 factory savage rifles all shot .5MOA or better out of the box. 12VLP, 10FCP-k, MKII. The 4th one I built from the ground up and it routinely shoots in the .3s and has put 5 shot groups in the .1s. I was able to build the rifle myself because of the Savage design.

This debate again? I really don't mind. I'm a savage guy myself. The only thing I'd knock on em is that the bolt lift, after firing, is stiffer than say a Remington or comparable. Otherwise, yes they are more then capable of shooting as well or better than other rifles. I prefer em because I can change the barrel and re-caliber the rifle.

Very good precision (repeatability) for the price. With those calibers noted for being inherently 'accurate', at least.

Oh ok cool.. well I'm lovin the sound of these rifles.. I have never owned a rifle before so I don't mind the lift of the bolt on the rifle as I don't know how smooth other rifles are. Cheers mate..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gman4955</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh ok cool.. well I'm lovin the sound of these rifles.. I have never owned a rifle before so I don't mind the lift of the bolt on the rifle as I don't know how smooth other rifles are. Cheers mate.. </div></div>

A simple oversized bolt handle will give you more leverage over the bolt and lessen the lift issue.

I think there is a mod involving a bearing or bushing of some sort in the bolt to make bolt lift easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there is a mod involving a bearing or bushing of some sort in the bolt to make bolt lift easier. </div></div>

A spent 38spl case, a couple of wahsers, a hacksaw, some fine sandpaper and a 5/32" ball bearing makes a BIG difference in bolt lift and makes it feel real nice.

Search "DIY Savage bolt lift"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there is a mod involving a bearing or bushing of some sort in the bolt to make bolt lift easier. </div></div>

A spent 38spl case, a couple of wahsers, a hacksaw, some fine sandpaper and a 5/32" ball bearing makes a BIG difference in bolt lift and makes it feel real nice.

Search "DIY Savage bolt lift"</div></div>

you can buy a pre-made one from here.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/accessories.html

Keep in mind that this was a fluke.

I grabbed my 300 win Salvage HB from the safe today to go confirm the zero on it, since I had not shot it in quite a long time and I have an upcoming cow elk tag to fill.

This gun shoot 185 Lapua scenars extremely well.

Here is an old pic, from when I neck turned brass and did a bunch of crap just to see how accurate I could get a factory heavy barrel set into an A5 Mcmillian, topped with a 6.5-20 MKIV Leupold to shoot.

The results averaged out to .39 at 100 and .96 at 300 agg.

300winaccuracytests001.jpg

That takes me to this morning,

I grabbed the Salvage and my TRG 22 and headed out.

First 3 from the Savage 300 Win:

003-8.jpg

That is a .072" group! NEVER have I done that with a heavy recoiling gun.

Of course after dialing my corrections, I blew it out my ass with the next two groups:

002-11.jpg

They were .79 and .52, but oh well. This is not neck turned brass, just once fired, handloads.

Like I said, a fluke, but still fun to see every once in a while.

015-7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there is a mod involving a bearing or bushing of some sort in the bolt to make bolt lift easier. </div></div>

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/accessories.html</div></div>
So whts the point of the bolt lift kit, does it just make it smoother to lift the bolt? Are there any draw backs to doing this, like less reliable?

If not, I might be buying the kit for under $10 bucks! Well worth paying $10 bucks not to mess with trying to find the right bearing,case, and cutting it precisely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there is a mod involving a bearing or bushing of some sort in the bolt to make bolt lift easier. </div></div>

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/accessories.html</div></div>
So whts the point of the bolt lift kit, does it just make it smoother to lift the bolt? Are there any draw backs to doing this, like less reliable?

If not, I might be buying the kit for under $10 bucks! Well worth paying $10 bucks not to mess with trying to find the right bearing,case, and cutting it precisely. </div></div>

Functionally, it doesn't do anything. It does slicken up the feel of the bolt lift. No impact on reliability.

The 38spl case/ball bearing approach is VERY VERY easy, and costs about $0.50... Saving you $9.50 you could spend on 10 typical cartridges!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Functionally, it doesn't do anything. It does slicken up the feel of the bolt lift. No impact on reliability.

The 38spl case/ball bearing approach is VERY VERY easy, and costs about $0.50... Saving you $9.50 you could spend on 10 typical cartridges!
</div></div>
Ok thanks, I will read the thread and look into doing it. Gonna have to find a 38spl casing!

Since your question is about accuracy... The accuracy I have seen from out of the box Savage rifles is as good or better than other factory rifles. My 308 before my 284 bbl swap shot 1/2 moa and better. Some question the durability, bolt lift, bbl nut and other features. Never had a problem with anything and never know a Savage that failed me. Some guys pay 3k to 5k for a rifle that shoots just as good but has better durability or is "battle proven." Neither one of those matter to me. Like I said I have never been failed. My money will be better spent elsewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gman4955</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a 243, but wat model of savage you guys reccomend?? I wanna do long range, 600yds at the most? I want a good all rounder, for hunting and target?? Thanks again </div></div>

Savage model 12 long range precision, has the target accutrigger, hs precision stock.
Just the tack driver you are looking for, check it out.

I've got a 10fcp in a choate tactical stock, it is fantastically accurate with fed gm 168's, great gun, I have zero problems cycling my bolt quickly, though mine has the big tactical knob.

Was looking on the savage website and them barrels are fluted.. can ya get them not fluted? Surely u would be able. Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gman4955</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was looking on the savage website and them barrels are fluted.. can ya get them not fluted? Surely u would be able. Cheers </div></div>

You'd have to order it. Why do you want a non fluted?

Depends what your purpose for the rifle is. I own one (10 FCP-McMillan) and recommend it highly.

Not as robust as the solid shaft.. I wanna be able to go to rifle range and go piggin and roo shootin.. Wat about the weatherby vangaurd synthetic series 2 package? Seems a good deal?

i believe the barreled action for the vangaurd is made by howa. should be of decent quality but you will get a better rifle all together in the savage. if you want a weatherby to shoot under an inch and a half you have to pay almost 300 dollars more for a sub moa model. plus typicaly when you buy a package the scope is sub par

if the man dont like flutes, he dont like flutes. try a 10fcp or look in the lineup for another model. when they added the -k to the designation, they added flutes and a brake. if you find a 10fcp-sr, its threaded. there is a 10fcp-5r thats available too. but if you want something special, just order it from Savage, or buy a stevens and a better match grade barrel and stock. lotsa ways to go about it. plus lotsa nice new models with new features

Thanks for your help mate.. I am now lookin the 16/116fcss, now what does the fc stand for? Ss is stainless steel. Haha.. what do u think? And what scope u reccomend? I'm after a bushnell scope.. something that let's in a bit of light? Variable.. thanks for ya help again mate

"f" stands for plastic stock... "c" stands for "clip" fed (DBM)... and you're right "ss" is stainless steel.

so w/o looking the 16/116fcss you're looking at is "weather warrior" series stainless steel, sporter prfile barrel, in a black plastic stock, w/ detachable magazine. 16 will be a short action and 116 will be a long action.