• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Accuracy of the 10/22 Question

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I got one of the older stainless versions this week. I have read that they are supposed to be a better rifle than the new ones. I currently have a CZ 452 varmint as my primary 22. If I go and put a Kidd barrel and one of these stocks from Stocky's am I going to be disappointed with the accuracy? The Kidd is not much more than the Green Mountain so I thought I would just go ahead and get it.

Re: Accuracy of the 10/22 Question

My KID barreled 10/22 prints MOA 10-rd groups at 100 yards with Wolf Match Extra. It's on a Tactical Solutions X-Ring receiver, not a Ruger one, but I doubt the receiver makes a huge difference.

receiver not a accuracy diff the old ones had a metal trigger housing/group the new ones are polymer. the metal is more desirable to guys on a build. kidd barrel is nice but beware once you start you'll be hooked on upgrades. after barrel trigger is the next step id take, then bolt, bolt release extractor buffer etc......it goes on and on. they shoot great and are allot of fun, guys who don't know why you'd spend on 10/22 dont realize its the fact that you are doing the upgrades a sense of accomplishment.

i say go for it and have fun

I agree with rez187...the barrel is one of the best for 10/22's, so are all the rest of the Kidd parts....the 2 stage triggers are exceptional.

A great barrel and trigger are obvious necessities for a good accurate 10/22 but most seem to overlook having the right receiver. Start with a M.O.A. corp stainless receiver that has a threaded barrel and a rear tang so that it has a rear action screw set up. No more bedding the barrel.
http://www.moaguns.com/

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Kidd 16.5 inch polished and fluted barrel and a Kidd cocking assembly. I also ordered the Anschutz laminated stock from Stocky's in the red and gray gloss finish. I will be mounting a Hawke sidewinder 4.5-14x42 with and EGW 20MOA base and Leupold PRW medium rings. If it is accurate enough I will probably add a Kidd bolt and trigger in a couple of weeks. I think this will be a fun project to mess with. It has got to the point where all I want to shoot is a 22lr.

Going with the Kidd barrel was definitely the way to go. It's only a bit more and a much better barrel. I built my 10/22 to shoot a local rimfire match where I'd be competing with the likes of Anschutz and Remington 40X rifles. In order to have even a chance of shooting a perfect score (7500 points for 75 targets) your rifle must be able to hold a .4" group at 50 yards and maintain that level of accuracy during the transitions.

My rifle consists of a Ruger receiver, Kidd 18" barrel, Kidd two stage trigger, Kidd bolt and a Boyd's Tacticool stock. I'll admit that I was having some trouble and tried all sorts of bedding methods and usually shot in the neighborhood of 6900 out of 7500 in the matches, so I was throwing 5 or 6 shots out in every match. Last week, I got frustrated and decided to contact the guys at Kidd.

They told me NOT to bed the barrel at all. Just bed the action screw area and the rear of the receiver. I did that, but did it a bit differently. Since I don't have a rear attachment point, I used a round file to cut a horizontal channel near the bottom rear of the receiver. I then bedded the receiver into the stock. Now I have a protrusion in the bedding that engaged the channel in the receiver and it does a very good job of holding the rear of the receiver where it should be. I also took my trigger down to 8oz.

This past Saturday, I shot a 7200 and won "A" class. The Kidd stuff really works well.

So, you are not even bedding the first inch of the barrel? How are you getting it to float? I have seen a few screw a round head bolt in the rear of the inside of the stock and hog out a divit in the rear part of the action to match to lock in the rear. your rear method is novel. Some have even used the cross pins for the trigger group replaced with "Chicago" screws and drilled through the sides of the stock and tightened from the outside of the stock.

NONE of my barrel is bedded. Yeah, the way that I bedded the receiver worked out pretty well. Actually, it worked out really well. It's rock solid.

I thought about the methods that you mentioned, but I didn't want to put any pressure on the receiver any place, other than at the lug. The last thing I wanted to do was have to play with the torque on two screws. When I drop my barreled action into the stock, there is NO movement at all.