• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accuracy of the 6xc?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I'm deciding between 6br and 6xc and I know that 6br is one of the most accurate and gets constant small groups, but I'm wondering what kind of groups you get with this round? show pics of rifles please if you can :)

Last edited:
How do you figure one is more accurate than the other? I saw a 6br, a 6xc, and my 6cm shot this weekend. All were very accurate in the match to the point I doubt anyone could have told any difference down range. What you'd see is speed differences and bullet weights.

well, seems to me the answer is obvious, do 6BR, it won't feed out of mags a well compared to the XC and the BR becomes marginal past 800 or so ( 6 dasher shines) and that is where the XC shines. 100 yds groups don't mean much, if you want to do long range. David Tubb didn't win all his LR trophies with the BR
cheers.

you are talking about two different animals!

THe BR is a super performer out to 600 and the 6XC rivals most cartridges out to 1000.

The reason that you see the BR posting ungodly groups is because it is perfect for benchrest guys with fantastic accuracy and very low recoil compared to most other rounds. Low recoil means that you can be more consistent in your shooting.

If you are looking to stay 600 and in then BR may be a good choice, but make no mistake that it will humble you when it gets windy................. The 6XC can hand with 6.5-.284 at 1K.

Brian
Brian

you are talking about two different animals!

THe BR is a super performer out to 600 and the 6XC rivals most cartridges out to 1000.

The reason that you see the BR posting ungodly groups is because it is perfect for benchrest guys with fantastic accuracy and very low recoil compared to most other rounds. Low recoil means that you can be more consistent in your shooting.

If you are looking to stay 600 and in then BR may be a good choice, but make no mistake that it will humble you when it gets windy................. The 6XC can hand with 6.5-.284 at 1K.

Brian
Brian

+1. For strictly benchrest at 600 yards and in, the 6BR and 6PPC dominate. For anything else (600+ yard BR or tactical rifle at pretty much any range), one of the larger 6mm's would suit you better (6XC, 6x47L, 6 Creedmoor, etc.).

leadbullet said:
the BR becomes marginal past 800 or so

6BR pushing a 105 Hybrid @ 2850 has better drop and drift beyond 800yd than a 308 pushing a 155 Hybrid @ 2900 or a 168 Hybrid @ 2800.

I'm deciding between 6br and 6xc and I know that 6br is more accurate but I'm wondering what kind of groups you get with this round?
How inherently accurate a cartridge design is has comparatively little to do with how accurate a system is.

Got my ass handed to my by a 6BRX yesterday, if you know me I shoot a 6CM, one thing I had going for me was the miniscule vertical I had, his 1.669" group had that much vertical. I had a 4" group, left to right, the vertical was like 3/8".

How inherently accurate a cartridge design is has comparatively little to do with how accurate a system is.

This^

Properly built, it doesn't matter what cartridge its chambered in if you feed it the right ammo. Some cartridges are just easier to tune.

This^

Properly built, it doesn't matter what cartridge its chambered in if you feed it the right ammo. Some cartridges are just easier to tune.
Of course, with the exception of the 30-30 Winchester and its' progeny. LOL!

Of course, with the exception of the 30-30 Winchester and its' progeny. LOL!

I beg to differ on the LOL. The 7-30 Waters is exceptionally accurate. But, like anything chambered in a Win Model 94,... not so much.

Last edited:
Got my ass handed to my by a 6BRX yesterday, if you know me I shoot a 6CM, one thing I had going for me was the miniscule vertical I had, his 1.669" group had that much vertical. I had a 4" group, left to right, the vertical was like 3/8".

What! Aww thats not good man:) i still have my blank 6mm maybe i should go 6br instead lol

What! Aww thats not good man:) i still have my blank 6mm maybe i should go 6br instead lol
This was at 600yds, btw.
Well the vertical is awesome, 4" east to west isnt, though .66moa isnt that bad, I guess. When I learn to read the wind better or the wind stops blowing, lookout!

I know that 6br is more accurate
How the heck do you "know" this?

As I have said before:
6mmBR isn't the "most accurate." It has great "ballistic performance" (i.e., low wind drift and drop) for its level of recoil. If precision rifle shooters could get it to feed reliably from a magazine, it would have prolific use.

If you go to the sticky thread, "what the pros use" you'll notice that 6.5CM, 260Rem, 243 Win and 6XC top the list. I've been reading that 6CM is starting to make inroads also. Within these chamberings there are adv/disadv that have been discussed at length. If you reload, it doesn't really matter what you go with.

Do not confuse "ballistic performance" for accuracy. Accuracy is being able to hit the target you're aiming at. Hitting the same point repeatedly is precision.

Google Image Result for http://dl.clackamas.cc.or.us/ch104-01/precision%20vs%20accuracy%20slides_Page_6.jpg

If you want good ballistic performance, the tradeoffs are usually high recoil or short barrel life. The cartridges above (e.g., 6.5 CM) provide acceptable barrel life (better than 6mm) and moderate to low recoil for great ballistic performance.

308 Win, for example, gives you great barrel life, has a tremendous selection of match grade ammo and reloading data available, moderate recoil, but is on the lower end of the ballistic performance spectrum.

You can read a whole lot more on "the bestest" 6mm here:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...t-accurate-mag-fed-bolt-action-cartridge.html

In my view, the cartridge that satisfies your requirements is the final step decision point in the system, almost an afterthought, after you consider everything else you need:
- Required downrange terminal energy
- System weight
- Ballistic performance
- Repeater vs single shot
- Reliability

I'm sure you get the point.

oh and mag feeding isn't a problem with the 6br I'll use a eliseo chassis with his mags, but I do currently have a rem 700 with a 28in bbl in 260 that I want to put in a chassis too. but I'm wondering either sell the gun to my dad, build a 6br or some other 6mm. I just want a accurate and reliable cartridge. I just feel like 6cm, 6xc, or 6br may be better suiting my needs. I won't shoot 1k much so I think I want a 6mm I just like those 6mm since they are easier to make or buy brass

Have you ever considered a plain old boring .243?

Low recoil, great selection of bullets / powder, unbelievably accurate if a good builder puts it together and can shoot with the best of them in the wind.

reloading is a breeze, but buyan extra barrel if you plan on shooting a ton because they can go quickly if you are shooting hot loads.

Brian