• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy Potential and Feasibility

Robby06

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2022
North Carolina
So I have a dilemma, I'm unsure of what could be causing this or how to fix it. I know that I maybe be asking a little much from this particular rifle but I'd like to think it meets the minimum accuracy level of a 1moa rifle.

I have a later 2000's model Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD 20in barrel with 1:10 twist in an MDT ESS chassis with a Burris XTRII 4-20X50 H59 reticle in an ADM Recon 34MM qd mount. I have installed a jewel trigger at a 7 oz. pull weight and I shoot Federal gold medal match 175gr SMK bc they were promising in the past.

Today I setup at 100m and shot off of a bag and I used a rear bag too. A picture of the resulting group is posted below. It is also Worthington noting that there are possibly 2 fliers and I'm not sure if I'm at fault or if they were just bad rounds.
I was shooting with a YHM Resonator K attached but I discovered that the POI shift was not repeatable and was also extreme. Along with this I discovered that as it would heat up the ratcheting system would expand and loosen causing more accuracy issues. So upon removing the suppressor/silencer and adapter muzzle device I rezeroed and got the group below. However I have seen and read that a good precision suppressor/silencer will not only reduce muzzle signature but also tighten the group up as much as cutting it in half. I'm planning on getting a CGS Hyperion or a Surefire Socom 762 for long range work bc I know the marine corps spent enough money on surefire cans to fund a presidential campaign but everything I read talks about how the hyperion is incomparable to anything else on the market in terms of POI shift, actual suppression, and maintaining/improving accuracy.

I feel like this rifle can do better than this and that is why I'm making this post. Hopefully someone can help me out, I'm not looking to be a top tier PRS candidate with this rifle but I'd at least like to know if it's even feasible for 900m or if I should just dedicate my time and money elsewhere for something that will. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes time to post anything on this thread. Your experience and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220913-153740.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913-153740.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220913-153353.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913-153353.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20220913-154034.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913-154034.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 52
Also would it be worth it to attempt to push the group 0.1 mil to the right or would I be chasing my tail trying to center the group?

Thanks

Ok, so update to this post. After looking through this forum and others I discovered that the probable cause of the weird stringing was possibly coming from tension stress in the action. Upon reading this I promptly loosened both action screws and re-torqued them at different specs. The rear action screw was torqued to the original 65 inch lbs. and the forward action screw was torqued to about 45 inch lbs. Here are the results
Screenshot_20220915-145011.jpg

Not only solving the accuracy issue but it's now more accurate than ever. Now I feel confident it making those final little adjustments to fully center my group. Thank you to those who wrote in the other thread about the mdt chassis, you were a huge help.

Reactions: stanley_white
Ok, so update to this post. After looking through this forum and others I discovered that the probable cause of the weird stringing was possibly coming from tension stress in the action. Upon reading this I promptly loosened both action screws and re-torqued them at different specs. The rear action screw was torqued to the original 65 inch lbs. and the forward action screw was torqued to about 45 inch lbs. Here are the resultsView attachment 7958497

Not only solving the accuracy issue but it's now more accurate than ever. Now I feel confident it making those final little adjustments to fully center my group. Thank you to those who wrote in the other thread about the mdt chassis, you were a huge help.

I bet that your rifle will be less sensitive (like much less sensitive) to action screw tightness if you bedded the receiver to the chassis.