• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy standard

melglass

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
What do you use as an accuracy standard for ammo? Trying to figure out what standard everyone uses to determine if a ammo is good enough or worthy of ordering bulk of a particular brand and lot. Have done a lot of shooting over the years but have never put much effort into rimfire. I know you all ways want the best but when is it time to stop testing and just order bulk and work on yourself.

Look at the 6x5 thread and see where you want to be.

Also depends on what you're chasing. I stopped doing groups and instead working on PRS style shooting. I found ammo that will be consistent in the .3" at 50 yards and .75" at 100 yards. Good enough for my needs.

Look at the 6x5 thread and see where you want to be.

Also depends on what you're chasing. I stopped doing groups and instead working on PRS style shooting. I found ammo that will be consistent in the .3" at 50 yards and .75" at 100 yards. Good enough for my needs.

Waiting for some matches to come to my area. I shot highpower, long range and a little smallbore prone but this style shooting is new to me. Don’t think I have ever shot with a bipod till a month ago when I saw that it was the given way to shoot the 6x5s. I watched people for years spend all their time testing for the perfect load then fall mid pack or lower at matches. I found a lot that I think is worth getting a pile of but also don’t want to short change myself in the long run by jumping the gun.

generally the standard is to buy as many different lots as you can.........shoot groups from all of those lots......find which shoots best.....then buy as much as you can fucking afford.

could be a 1 MOA group....could be a 1.5 MOA group.....could be a 2 MOA group.

if you can get a consistent 1-1.5 MOA you are doing all right.

Reactions: simonp
There is only one standard.
Did you hit what you aimed at?
If you did, y'er ammunition was good enough.
If ya' didn't, find better.

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
I like that definition up one post , even if I am still chasing my one hole 5 shot groups but even if I don't ever achieve that goal the journey has been a blast .

There is only one standard.
Did you hit what you aimed at?
If you did, y'er ammunition was good enough.
If ya' didn't, find better.

Yes, but what I like to aim at is very small. ;) Today, my ammunition was good enough. :giggle:

Dots.jpg

I can do that too, straight....but I have to get really close to what I'm aiming at.
Think braille close. ;)

Lapua looks for these measurements in their tunnel when lot testing
13mm at 50m outside to outside
30mm at 100m outsise to outside

A lot is going to depend on your rifle and what it is capable of. I’m not going to try to get the same lot accuracy out of my factory barreled CZ as I try to get out of my Vudoo The rifle simply isn’t capable of the same level of accuracy. In general though if you can shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards you are doing pretty well for rimfire and should be competitive in most positional shooting matches.

I was asking myself this same question as I just recently picked up Rimfire. I posted and got some great feedback. I found the 6x5 thread and started reading about how other folks were doing with their setups.

review the current standings for good idea of whats

for me I decided to try lot testing various brands at 200 yards to see how things went. This is what I have had to do with my centerfire as well. I’ve found that any closer distance than this is just not able to show a lot of distinction between brands and lots. Again this has been my experience.

So far ive tried
Lapua CenterX ( 2 diff lots)
SK std+
SK RM
Wolf MT ( Eley)
CCI std

once I get the 1000rounds thru the gun that Lapua requires I’ll be lot testing at their facility.

until then my 2 lots of CenterX are doing very well at 200.

545rf...we need pics....lotsa pics!

Rifle, setup, looking down range and results.

Rifle pron is important around here.

You know the rule...without pics, it didn't happen. :D

Add them to the rimfire at 200 thread.

Last edited:
For me it’s at 200 that I really see the flaws in my shooting as well as the impact that the wind can have. Really enjoying the challenge and the fun of .22 at longer ranges :)

I’m slowly working my way up the ammo ladder. I have been mainly shooting Eley bulk packed,CCI and var other stuff. Have a few bricks of SK+, Pistol match, PM special, RM and a have a few bricks of Lapua Pistol King on the way. Shot some targets with the Sk+ and PM. It got me to the high .2s-.3s at 50 and in the .8s at 100. Have not done a 6x5 target past that yet. The two SK ammo types cut about a 1/4 inch off my 100 yard overall averages with Eley Action and Action plus.

Reactions: *rim-star*
Waiting for some matches to come to my area. I shot highpower, long range and a little smallbore prone but this style shooting is new to me. Don’t think I have ever shot with a bipod till a month ago when I saw that it was the given way to shoot the 6x5s. I watched people for years spend all their time testing for the perfect load then fall mid pack or lower at matches. I found a lot that I think is worth getting a pile of but also don’t want to short change myself in the long run by jumping the gun.

What area is that? If you do some searching, there might be some closer than you think.

1/2” at 50
.75-1” at 100
3x5 index card at 200
“Sneaker” box at 300

don’t bother looking for better...might never find it anyway

1/2” at 50
.75-1” at 100
3x5 index card at 200
“Sneaker” box at 300

don’t bother looking for better...might never find it anyway
This seems obtainable without spending an arm and a leg. I haven’t got to stretch it to 300 yards though

Most guns like center x or sk match.
Which ever one your rifle likes should get close to these results.

Most guns like center x or sk match.
Which ever one your rifle likes should get close to these results.

Guess I need to get some CenterX. Was really wanting to wait so I can lot test and be able to get more. Will pr test RM next time out. Between Pistol match and SK+ I shot 24x5 shot groups at 100 the last few range days with my B14 Carbon. The average was right at 7/8 with a few missed wind calls and called shots Included.

When I found a decent lot of center x that I bought from target sports usa.
I called back and asked for more.
They sent me another 1500 that was in stock and they found another 1000 for me.

I’m slowly working my way up the ammo ladder. I have been mainly shooting Eley bulk packed,CCI and var other stuff. Have a few bricks of SK+, Pistol match, PM special, RM and a have a few bricks of Lapua Pistol King on the way. Shot some targets with the Sk+ and PM. It got me to the high .2s-.3s at 50 and in the .8s at 100. Have not done a 6x5 target past that yet. The two SK ammo types cut about a 1/4 inch off my 100 yard overall averages with Eley Action and Action plus.

That's pretty good using the ammo.you mentioned I would.be ok with that....

That's pretty good using the ammo.you mentioned I would.be ok with that....
I got a call in for a few cases of that lot of SK+ if they can find it. The same gun shot a .295 6x5 at 50. My other Bergara did .367 and my CZ PV did .365. I figured if all three could do 6x5s at 50 with those numbers it was a good lot.

Reactions: *rim-star*
I got a call in for a few cases of that lot of SK+ if they can find it. The same gun shot a .295 6x5 at 50. My other Bergara did .367 and my CZ PV did .365. I figured if all three could do 6x5s at 50 with those numbers it was a good lot.

Thats impressive with SK Std+ , wish I could find some that good.

I found some that works but the problem is it's not available any longer
1598286355810.jpeg