• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate .22 AR upper?

Defusion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Netherlands
Most of you guys will probably not know this, but in the Netherlands we can only have 5 firearms for sporting purposes (6 if your a hunter, more if your a collector, but they have their own set of rules which I won't go in to).
I'm currently at 3 (glock, cz455, AI AE), and plan on adding an AR15 (18" spr type upper to start with) and still in doubt about the last one (300wm/rum or a 1911. oh yeah, no rifle over 8mm (.323) either, so .338LM is out).

However, we can have different uppers, lowers, barrels, etc, as long as we cannot have more than 5 working firearms at one time with any combination.
What I would really love to achieve, is to have a .22 trainer upper/barrel for every main firearm, and if possible without sacrificing one of the 5 spots for any firearms.
If there was a .22 bolt+barrel for my AI, I would buy it for sure. Sadly, it doesn't exist.

So, to the actual question: Who has experience with dedicated .22lr uppers for an AR15, and shooting for accuracy at 50-100m (or yards).
The main focus for most .22 uppers seems to be on dynamic shooting, and using higher velocity rounds. I plan on using match-grade ammo, and have heard about some reliability issues with waxed match ammo.
The accuracy level should at least match, but preferably exceed, my CZ455 (~1,5" 25-shot group at 100y with SK rifle match or similarly priced ammo), as I might consider replacing it with such an upper, and opening a spot for something else.

compass lake engineering or accuracy speaks,inc

i have a compass lake 22 upper with the douglas match barrel its not quite an annie but it aint bad either
most 22 uppers are not even in the same league

Those look pretty good.
Something else though, do you think most of the accuracy comes from the barrel, or does the receiver itself have anything to do with it?
The reason I ask, it is apparently pretty hard (and time consuming) to import stuff from the US.

An alternative I've been thinking about is having a local smith custom build me something with a match-grade barrel, and get a CMMG .22 bolt group (which appear to be available from germany), and have a local gunsmith make a match-grade barrel for it with the same profile as the CMMG barrels.
It wouldn't save me any money over going with a CLE, but will probably save me a lot of time.

Last edited:
i think the floated barrel , chamber and fit of bolt to barrel are the most important parts of accuracy on an ar22 .
i bought my compass lake ar22 used in an a2 carry handle config , was using it for a highpower trainer
then decided it shoot so good that i would try to put a scope on it .it was an exercise in futility in the carry handle mounting i could not get any kind of a cheekweld .
so i swapped out the receiver with a flat top i could not see any loss of accuracy in the swap and if i remember right i even played around with the torque on the barrel nut with no difference in overall accuracy

[MENTION=18327]Blazin[/MENTION], yeah, I'd love to get the JPNC-22 or just the nordic components receiver.
However, they seem impossible to get...

I know a couple of guys that ordered the JP over 1,5 year ago, and are still waiting...

[MENTION=18327]Blazin[/MENTION], yeah, I'd love to get the JPNC-22 or just the nordic components receiver.
However, they seem impossible to get...

I know a couple of guys that ordered the JP over 1,5 year ago, and are still waiting...

I ordered my JP in June 2012 and at the time JP had 14 22 uppers left in stock. At the same time Nordic had their uppers in stock. Obviously 2013 is a whole new animal. If I were you I'd wait until a Nordic of JP came in stock. My JP is 100% reliable, and stupid accurate.

I have a spikes dedicated 22 upper and it has been nothing but good for me. does like to be cleaned about every 300 or so rounds depending on ammo for function. have a aimpoint comp m4 and can drill coke cans all day at 75 yards.