• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate 7mm Cartridge

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
I'm looking for some opinions here. I'm doing a 7mm long range gun, I just got the barrel, a Lilja stainless 1:9 4 groove, its going on a Savage action. I want to shoot 162 Amax's or 180 VLD's. I was going to do it in a 7 mag but talked to some guys and they seem to like the 7mm08AI but I can't seem to find any real good load info for that cartridge. The 284win sounds good and 7wsm seems popular. Is there a big enough difference between any of these to worry about?

Re: Accurate 7mm Cartridge

Over on 6mmBR, there are quite a few articles about the 7mm's. My choice would be the 7 SAUM, but then I am biased with owning a good one and shooting it ocassionaly. I do shoot the 162 AMAX and it shoots that bullet very well, but the 150 Nosler BT shoots better, and believe it or not, so does the 160 SGK. I have not shot any SMK's out of it yet and probably won't as I don't shoot it much, and I am happy with the way it is now.

I would base my choice depending on the action length you have. A few would choose a 280AI, and I would too, but thats what my 7 SAUM is, for all practicle purposes.

A possible issue with the 7 SAUM would be brass availablity. I have stocked up and the Remington brass in this caliber has a pretty good reputation for long life. I have a few on their 5th load and the primer pockets are tight, and I have only trimmed them once. I hope they wear like a Michelin tire and .....

The sky is the limit on this bore size.

I have been researching and preparing for a similar build, and was looking hard at 6.5x284 (lots of guys winning with this) and straight 284win to compete at 1000 yds. the 284 win is what I have settled on and am scheduled with Greg Tannel for the build. I have and shoot a 7WSM, and after brass prep it shoots really good, but my borescope shows some signifigant throat wear and firecracking. You might loose a little velocity but should make out better in barrel life with 284win (good brass too). I cant speak about 7MM08AI...

straight .284 win in a long action. going to get good barrel life with a 175 smk or 180 vld at 2850. i'm loving mine.

a 7wsm can drive those bullets faster and do it in a short action but you barrel life is going to suffer.

I'm doing a 7mm build also and have a Krieger MTU 1 in 9 on its way. I was planning on a 7mm Rem Mag. What kind of barrel life can I expect with that? As someone who has never reloaded but is starting to spool up and get the equipment, is .284 win harder than 7mm RM?

Echo

Go with one of the beltless cartridges like the .284, 7/300 wsm, 7saum or 7wsm. 168/180 Bergers at 2,900fps makes good things happen at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm doing a 7mm build also and have a Krieger MTU 1 in 9 on its way. I was planning on a 7mm Rem Mag. What kind of barrel life can I expect with that? As someone who has never reloaded but is starting to spool up and get the equipment, is .284 win harder than 7mm RM? </div></div>

I hear pretty good things about the 7mmRM....
grin.gif

BBL life? Figure 1.5K and its done.

Reloading. I have had more than a few 7mmRMs and not a single one has been a bitch to load for. Actually the 7mmRMs have been the least PITA of my big boomers.

Of the two 7mm's I prefer would be either the 7mm SAUM or the .284 Win. both should be very accurate.

Im going to go ahead and do the 7SAUM with the Brux 4 groove HV barrel Ive got. I also bought about 300 cases and really suprised how consistant the Rem brass is, But, that doesnt mean Ill get a bunch of firings out of it.

I went 7 SAUM, shoots very well, I have 700 R+P cases and I am on the 4th firing of my first group of 50 cases. That will be the last time they will be fired. Its very very accurate.

I am new to this stuff as well and went 7 rem mag due to that's what I was shooting and loading for. I chambered mine off the shoulder not belt because some 7mag lover here told me to. So far shooting AMAX's over R22 my best group is 5 rounds at 100 into .310. Robert Snyder did the build and so far I'm loving it.

I went through this process recently and decided on the 7mm/300wsm. I do not have it in hand yet but am very excited to begin working with it.