• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate chamber reamers????

mjwilcox38

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2021
North Carolina
I heard a guy say that every barrel he chambered with a certain reamer turned out to be accurate. Some of the barrels he chambered with this reamer I saw shoot very well. My question is with enough feedback from customers would a gunsmith know if they have an exceptional reamer or just average. Also is this possible to ask a gunsmith to help get more accurate rifles???

Yea, if you're asking about X reamer and Y reamer and they have different dimensions, there might be something to it. But generally that has more to do with issues like extraction and sizing fired brass and such.

If they are same dimension, as long as X smith and Y smith chambered the rifles properly, you won't see much difference (that would be attributed to the reamer).

Reactions: Makinchips208
Of course other things come into play. But yes. Like a hummer barrel. Is it possible for a gunsmith to have a hummer reamer?

I've never heard of that. And I can't think of a reason how that could happen. Some reamers cut better and such.....so I guess you could argue that you might get a better chamber when tools perform better.....but that would be a stretch.

We have all kinds of reamers from different manufacturers and cartridges. So far there hasn't been a reamer that stands out as far as performance at the range. Certain dimensions for reamer specs maybe perform better than reamers of a different dimension. But not when they only difference is just another individual reamer that has the same specs.

You experiences or information relayed to you are much more likely to be a correlation does not imply causation example. I.E. the odds are pretty good that you/they had barrels shoot very well for other reason that just so happened to be chambered with a specific reamer.