• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate gas gun 6.5 cm barrels under 750$?

huck24

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2024
Northern WI
I'm dipping my toes into building my first gun. It's gonna be a 6.5 cm. It's gonna be used 99% of the time at a range that goes out to 1k yards. Undecided on between 20" or 22". But my bigger question is which barrels have you had first hand experience with that you shoot sub moa accuracy with factory loads. I've been looking at,

Wilson combat super sniper
Criterion
Rainier elite match
X calibur

And what bcgs did you run?
It will have a huxwerx ventum can on it once it's out of jail. Hope I put enough info out for a repectable answer.

And thanks for letting me join the forum. I've been in the shadows reading posts for a while. I've scoured alot of the forums and am still stumped.

Last edited:
I'm dipping my toes into building my first gun. It's gonna be a 6.5 cm. It's gonna be used 99% of the time at the range out 1k yards. Undecided on between 20" or 22". But my bigger question is which barrels have you had first hand experience with that you shoot sub moa accuracy with factory loads. I've been looking at,

Wilson combat super sniper
Criterion
Rainier elite match
X calibur

And what bcgs did you run?
It will have a huxwerx ventum can on it once it's out of jail. Hope I put enough info out for a repectable answer.

And thanks for letting me join the forum. I've been in the shadows reading posts for a while. I've scoured alot of the forums and am still stumped.
I suppose I can share everything I have so far for this build if that may help.

M5 matched set, atlas s-one,buffer tube/spring $558.41
B5 precision stock (med.) $179.99
Ergo tdx-0 grip $33.99
Griffin armament snach $90.25
Triggertech ar10 adaptable trigger $207.67
Trigger tech ambi safety $59.79
RA Anti walk pins $10.67
Phase 5 battle lever $54.49
Odin works xmr3 $36.85

Last edited:
You can get a JP barrel with headspaced bolt for that price. I don’t have experience with the others on your list but my JP shoots great

Reactions: BCP
You can get a JP barrel with headspaced bolt for that price. I don’t have experience with the others on your list but my JP shoots great
Hey tanders, thanks for the reply. What ammo do you favor and what are your average groupings?

Thanks

For what it is worth, I have an 18" criterion 6.5 grendel barrel paired with a matched JP bolt. It consistently shoots sub moa with factory ammo suhc as hornady.

Reactions: huck24
I had GAP build me a Bartlein barreled .260 Rem 22” and it was a laser out of the box.

I think the first 5rd group out of it was .6”, and it just kept shrinking as I increased charge weight (hand loads).

It’s one of those giggle guns. You see the groups and giggle.

If I was doing a 6.5CM and wanted competition-level precision, I would get either a Bartlein or Krieger spun by a reputable shop.

GAP does full rifle builds, so if you were just wanting a barrel, I would hit up Precision Firearms.

My .260 shot sub-MOA even with an ignored wind call the first time I grouped it at 1000yds.

I like the Berger 130gr VLD through it.

You’ll want to use an Extended Length Gas System and have the port cut at 45˚ if you have the option.

The barrel extension should be thermo-fit or bedded in the upper receiver, after the receiver face is ensured to be square.

Make sure your torque specs are all balanced out, without any unnecessary residual stresses in the muzzle device, scope mount, and fasteners.

I know that Criterion made the Rainier Ultra Match for them for many years though I think that is over. I have the Rainier barrel and it's been decent for me so far. Shoots 108 elds with 6mm ARC very well. Krieger would be the pinnacle IMO.

I'd pay attention to the gas system length. Even though your suppressor is supposed to be a low back pressure flow-through, rifle length gas on a 20"-22" 6.5 Creedmoor can be problematic.
Thanks man, any more detail? I know the wrong length gas tube tends to get installed and wreak havoc.

Edit.
Like the dummy that I am, I assumed theyd be +2 when other barrels I looked at were. 🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: msgriff
I know that Criterion made the Rainier Ultra Match for them for many years though I think that is over. I have the Rainier barrel and it's been decent for me so far. Shoots 108 elds with 6mm ARC very well. Krieger would be the pinnacle IMO.

Pretty sure that's still the case and Craddock was supposed to be the one that contours and chambers them, unless that's changed. If Criterion isn't doing them anymore I wouldn't be surprised if Benchmark or Pac-Nor is doing them due to proximity but I'm almost certain Criterion/Craddock is still producing the UM blanks for Rainier.

FWIW, my Criterion 22" RLGS has been a fine barrel. I don't know what kind of magic Criterion did to that specific barrel... but..

I should add, that I lapped the upper receiver face flat, and Loctited the barrel in place, I also made the fit between the upper and lower snug.
G SSA-E trigger.

It doesn't shoot every factory load this well, but it sure likes the Horn. 140gr American Gunner.
I did the flier, I got to giddy.

PSA upper and lower, and PSA BCG.

bcs1wiqa-606179.jpg

I just dont undersstand why Criterion insists on using rifle length gas on a 22" 6.5 creed barrel.

Reactions: msgriff
I had GAP build me a Bartlein barreled .260 Rem 22” and it was a laser out of the box.

I think the first 5rd group out of it was .6”, and it just kept shrinking as I increased charge weight (hand loads).

It’s one of those giggle guns. You see the groups and giggle.

If I was doing a 6.5CM and wanted competition-level precision, I would get either a Bartlein or Krieger spun by a reputable shop.

GAP does full rifle builds, so if you were just wanting a barrel, I would hit up Precision Firearms.

My .260 shot sub-MOA even with an ignored wind call the first time I grouped it at 1000yds.

I like the Berger 130gr VLD through it.

You’ll want to use an Extended Length Gas System and have the port cut at 45˚ if you have the option.

The barrel extension should be thermo-fit or bedded in the upper receiver, after the receiver face is ensured to be square.

Make sure your torque specs are all balanced out, without any unnecessary residual stresses in the muzzle device, scope

Proof stainless barrels are known to be very accurate and are in your price range
Yes! Thanks, I forgot to write that one on the list. I was looking at a stocked one last night.

For $750 or less, you will need to settle on a button-rifled option I’m afraid.

You can get a Krieger from Precision Firearms for $795 though.

Criterions are $465.
I shouldn't have put that price tag on there haha, Only reason I did that was because i was originally looking at bcg, agb, Gas tube, 20" super sniper barrel all wilson combat brand. Before any discounts and shipped was 906.90 (window shopping). And $750 was just a number tossed out there as a starting point.

The more I read on forums it looks like i don't need to pair bcg and barrel with same brands ( just my ocd self kicking in when I was thinking of doing that). There's quite a few highly praised bcg's that are under wilson combats $310 price tag.
Appreciate the suggestion I'll have to check out their website, thank you.

You can get a 20", 22", or 24" Proof SS with Rifle + 2" gas system for $649.

I'd be extremely leery of a barrel with a rifle length gas system in this caliber.

I like the JP FMOS (Full Mass Operating System) bolt carrier group with high pressure bolt.

This is my own 20" SS Proof 6.5 CM. It's reliably sub-MOA with good factory ammo. I'm shooting Federal GMM 140 right now, which chrono's at 2702 FPS.

IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3383.jpeg

Last edited:
You can get a 20", 22", or 24" Proof SS with Rifle + 2" gas system for $649.

I'd be extremely leery of a barrel with a rifle length gas system in this caliber.

I like the JP FMOS (Full Mass Operating System) bolt carrier group with high pressure bolt.

This is my own 20" SS Proof 6.5 CM. It's reliably sub-MOA with good factory ammo. I'm shooting Federal GMM 140 right now, which chromo's at 2702 FPS.

View attachment 8367207View attachment 8367209View attachment 8367211
Beautiful gun man! I'm not sure if I'm gonna like the cerakote finish on the set I'm getting but I couldn't pass up the price.

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna order the proof p10 ss 20" barrel. With a sale price and a coupon it's coming to my door for $510.86, downside 5 to 7 week lead. Hopefully that's accurate.

And I'm gonna get the jp fmos since that's so highly rated.

Thanks everyone !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: drewthebrave
OP, there are a couple other potential issues on your build list, if you wanted the thread to go beyond barrel selection.

Im open to suggestions and would appreciate it. What's your thoughts?
Research into your action/recoil system. You list your buffer tube/spring on the same line as the M5, so if it's also Aero, there are better choices for large frames.
Also, verify charging handle clearance with the B5 CPS w/ a medium cheek riser and the Griffin SNACH.

Research into your action/recoil system. You list your buffer tube/spring on the same line as the M5, so if it's also Aero, there are better choices for large frames.
Also, verify charging handle clearance with the B5 CPS w/ a medium cheek riser and the Griffin SNACH.
Funny you mention that. I only ordered the buffer tube system due to the decent price it was at ($83.17) and have already been rethinking that part. What's your recommendations as a replacement?

As far as my knowledge goes is that the snach is compatible with the b5 medium, not with the small or fixed.

Boutta list my unfired 6.5CM rifle, but it's got a CLE chambered Bartlein 22" +2 gas M110 profile with JP FMOS BCG I'd consider selling separately since you've got all the other components.

Funny you mention that. I only ordered the buffer tube system due to the decent price it was at ($83.17) and have already been rethinking that part. What's your recommendations as a replacement?

As far as my knowledge goes is that the snach is compatible with the b5 medium, not with the small or fixed.
Armalite or LMT MWS receiver extension kits are the easy button. They’re essentially the same so which ever you find cheaper is the route to take.

ETA: You can complicate it and spend a lot of time and money trying to do it better only to come back to the simple Armalite carbine set up.

Reactions: huck24 and msgriff

Aero uses the AR-15 length carbine receiver extension, 308 short carbine buffer (2.5") which weighs around 3.8 oz., and the matching spring for those components. Most higher end manufacturers (KAC, LMT, ArmaLite, etc.) and custom builders use an intermediate (A5) length RE, an H2 or H3 AR-15 buffer (3.25"), and either a spring specific to those components or an AR-10 rifle length spring. You can get all-in-one kits, like posted above, or piecemeal parts to your spec.

ETA: You might also want to look into an AGB.

Reactions: huck24 and Jsp556
Aero uses the AR-15 length carbine receiver extension, 308 short carbine buffer (2.5") which weighs around 3.8 oz., and the matching spring for those components. Most higher end manufacturers (KAC, LMT, ArmaLite, etc.) and custom builders use an intermediate (A5) length RE, an H2 or H3 AR-15 buffer (3.25"), and either a spring specific to those components or an AR-10 rifle length spring. You can get all-in-one kits, like posted above, or piecemeal parts to your spec.

ETA: You might also want to look into an AGB.
Thanks for the indepth reply, first time using the ar10 platform. I appreciate that info, I'm just gonna returning that ap buffer setup and look at your recommendations.

Last question, what's your thoughts on gas blocks? I was looking at getting a wojtek.

Last edited:
Thanks for the indepth reply, first time using the ar10 platform. I appreciate that info, I'm just gonna returning that ap buffer setup and look at your recommendations.

Last question, what's your thoughts on gas blocks?
You're going to have to sharpen your pencil on some of this. Your build list shows an Aero M5 Atlas S-One, which I have used on other calibers with rifle length gas and a 0.750" gas journal. Those require fairly small adjustable gas blocks, and I've used both Superlative and Aero AGB's. As far as I know, the longest length of the M5 S-One is 15" (~14 7/8" actual), so the gas block on a +2 gas system will be mostly exposed. I believe the gas journal on the 6.5CM Proof is 0.875", so clearances will be even tighter on the section of the gas block that's under the rail. You might need to reconsider your handguard selection. You should also look into the gas journal length, some longer gas blocks could hang over at the front. Typically doesn't affect function, depending on the AGB clamping/ mounting design.

Shit, that never crossed my mind. I looked it up and that rail is not gonna work. I fd that up. Easy enough fix atleast.

I ordered a Fallon Billet set and will return the m5 set when it comes in next week. I didn't mind the 15" rail partially exposing the agb on +2 barrel for the price I was at, but gonna be looking for a little longer with high profile for agb.

You saved me alot of headache catching that for me, thanks

Last edited:
I've just skimmed through this thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed.

With a $750 Barrel budget you have several excellent options..

For off the shelf barrels you are well and truly in the JP barrel Price range, thier in-house 6.5CM barrel are exceptional shooter's that come with the best HP bolt on the market.
Screenshot_20240308_061406_Chrome.jpg

JP Enterprises also offers Single Point Cut Rifled barrels for an additional $150.00 ( IE. Like Bartlein or Krieger) that receive the same Cryogenic treatment as thier in-house barrels do but you have to purchase them as a Barrel Kit, which once you take into consideration they provide a perfectly timed and Blended muzzle brake and adjustable gas block the $1,150 price tag isn't that bad.
Screenshot_20240308_061256_Chrome.jpg

I would stay far away from Proof Research or Rainier Ultramatch, if you do a little digging on here you can see why.

And if you want a guaranteed Sub 1/2 MOA Barrel I'd send @TheOE800 a message about his 22" Bartlein, it's definitely your most accurate barrel option and I know this because I designed it.

Here are two Proof Groups from the Last 20" Bartlein I just Finished. This is with 140 ELD's / 40.4grs of H4350 / Lapua SP Brass / CCI BR4 Primer / Seated at PMag Length.

I shot (1) round to check Zero and make adjustments then shot a 5rd group, After my group I handed the rifle off to my 70 year old Father In-law who has only shot a Large frame Gasser a handful of times and he easily printed a Sub 1/2 MOA 5rd group.
20240225_154657.jpg

From your OP you mentioned factory ammo? If you unfortunately have no means to reload you won't see the full potential of OE800's Bartlein barrel.

If you are going to run 100% Factory Ammo the JP standard in-house barrel is what you want, they will group just about any Hornady 6.5CM Ammo at .75 MOA or less.

Last edited:
I've just skimmed through this thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed.

With a $750 Barrel budget you have several excellent options..

For off the shelf barrels you are well and truly in the JP barrel Price range, thier in-house 6.5CM barrel are exceptional shooter's that come with the best HP bolt on the market.
View attachment 8367546

JP Enterprises also offers Single Point Cut Rifled barrels for an additional $150.00 ( IE. Like Bartlein or Krieger) that receive the same Cryogenic treatment as thier in-house barrels do but you have to purchase them as a Barrel Kit, which once you take into consideration they provide a perfectly timed and Blended muzzle brake and adjustable gas block the $1,150 price tag isn't that bad.
View attachment 8367548

I would stay far away from Proof Research or Rainier Ultramatch, if you do a little digging on here you can see why.

And if you want a guaranteed Sub 1/2 MOA Barrel I'd send @TheOE800 a message about his 22" Bartlein, it's definitely your most accurate barrel option and I know this because I designed it.

Here are two Proof Groups from the Last 20" Bartlein I just Finished. This is with 140 ELD's / 40.4grs of H4350 / Lapua SP Brass / CCI BR4 Primer / Seated at PMag Length.

I shot (1) round to check Zero and make adjustments then shot a 5rd group, After my group I handed the rifle off to my 70 year old Father In-law who has only shot a Large frame Gasser a handful of times and he easily printed a Sub 1/2 MOA 5rd group.
View attachment 8367572

From your OP you mentioned factory ammo? If you unfortunately have no means to reload you won't see the full potential of OE800's Bartlein barrel.

If you are going to run 100% Factory Ammo the JP standard in-house barrel is what you want, they will group just about any Hornady 6.5CM Ammo at .75 MOA or less.
Do you have a short and sweet version on what you seen wrong with proof?

Yes, factory ammo for now, reloading is something I want to get in to later on but I have too many irons in the fire right now unfortunately.

After msgriff pointed out the flaws in my build list(thanks for saving me the headache) I'm gonna sit down and go over it in more detail and fix my clusterfuck.

What realms of pricing is your friends 22" barltlein?

Thanks

Do you have a short and sweet version on what you seen wrong with proof?

Yes, factory ammo for now, reloading is something I want to get in to later on but I have too many irons in the fire right now unfortunately.

After msgriff pointed out the flaws in my build list(thanks for saving me the headache) I'm gonna sit down and go over it in more detail and fix my clusterfuck.

What realms of pricing is your friends 22" barltlein?

Thanks

The short and skinny on Proof is thier barrels are hit and miss, I've had excellent barrels and I've had barrels that look like they've been chambered with a broken reamer. Aside from the quality consistency issues thier SS 6.5CM Barrel contour sucks.

I have no idea what @TheOE800 wants for his barrel, thats why I said for YOU to message him.

The short and skinny on Proof is thier barrels are hit and miss, I've had excellent barrels and I've had barrels that look like they've been chambered with a broken reamer. Aside from the quality consistency issues thier SS 6.5CM Barrel contour sucks.

I have no idea what @TheOE800 wants for his barrel, thats why I said for YOU to message him.
Thanks man

Hello, it’s me. 👋

I don’t like the available Proof contour while we’re here talking about Proof AR-10 barrels.

Homie seems to have messaging turned off @bigjake83 or I’d have messaged him myself already.

I replaced the factory Seekins barrel on my SP10 with a melonited 16” rifle gas Criterion. It’s shooting 5round groups in the +/- .8moa range with Hornady Black 140gr bthp. I haven’t spent a lot of time with it but it should get to where it’s gonna be by the 200rd mark. For the $389 I paid for it, I’m happy.

I replaced the factory Seekins barrel on my SP10 with a melonited 16” rifle gas Criterion. It’s shooting 5round groups in the +/- .8moa range with Hornady Black 140gr bthp. I haven’t spent a lot of time with it but it should get to where it’s gonna be by the 200rd mark. For the $389 I paid for it, I’m happy.
Very nice

IMG_4464.jpeg
IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_4434.jpeg
IMG_4438.jpeg
IMG_4439.jpeg

Excellent point! Here's a Craddock Rock Creek 22" SS 6.5 CM 5R barrel (NOT the button-rifled Rock Creek RTR series) that I just finished. I threw a scope on it to see if it would shoot. With zero gas system tuning (wide open), with zero so-called barrel break in, it immediately began pounding out sub-MOA groups at 100 yards with the first box of factory ammo I grabbed.

I heard you
View attachment 8368950View attachment 8368951View attachment 8368952View attachment 8368953View attachment 8368954

Excellent point! Here's a Craddock Rock Creek 22" SS 6.5 CM 5R barrel (NOT the button-rifled Rock Creek RTR series) that I just finished. I threw a scope on it to see if it would shoot. With zero gas system tuning (wide open), with zero so-called barrel break in, it immediately began pounding out sub-MOA groups at 100 yards with the first box of factory ammo I grabbed.
Very nice! I heard you can't go wrong with any option from Craddock precision.

View attachment 8368950View attachment 8368951View attachment 8368952View attachment 8368953View attachment 8368954

Which wide stance bipod is that and how ya liking it?

Long Range Accuracy Ultralite F-Class Picatinny Bipod:

This design is about a dozen years old. They used to be so hard to find that ten years ago, in order to get my hands on my first one, I had to buy the rifle with it.

Production has ramped up in recent years. I try to keep them in stock now.

IMG_4408.jpeg

In 2019, I assisted in hosting an annual contingent of Swedish SF snipers here in the States. A total bunch of gear heads there! They had 'em.