• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Accurate subsonic 22lr rounds?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
hey guys, our local gun shop sells aguila sss 60gr and cci cb longs both of which are subsonic. The cb longs are really quiet but they group horribly (10inch groups @ 30 yards), never shot groups with the 60gr sss but I assumed my savage 22 wouldnt stabilize them.

So what subsonic 22s do you use?

thanks

Re: Accurate subsonic 22lr rounds?

I've always had to bite the bullet and buy a box of this and that to find what works for the rifle. I've had luck w/ CCI subsonic HPs @ 50 and even the Rem. subs. But if you're going longer than 50, I would look for Eley and don't forget your wallet. Never tried the 60s, but they wouldn't be par with anything I mentioned.

If the rifle is any good and the ammo isn't going transonic, like 25 yd., Winchester 40 gr. hi vel, like the old Wildcats, would work fine. It must be me, but I've never had any luck in several rifles with Federal GMM nor CCI green tag.

My Savage Mk II like the Aguia 60 grainers out to about 40 or so yards. My Marlin Model 981T does not. I don't know if the Micro Groove rifling has something to do with it or what. I do know that the 60 grain rounds really knock the crap out of Raccoons! Crack, then a thump, then a thud as they tumble out of the tree...dead.

I mostly shoot steel with it, 100 200 and 300. Not really concerned with 40 yard groups. When im not at the farm I have to use subs so my neighbors dont get pissed. I have been using normal 30-40 grain 1000ish fps-1100ish fps 22s. Mostly bulk bricks. Is there a huge difference in bulk 22s and match ammo at lets say 100-200 yards?

My MK II Savage was fond of the Eley stuff of all flavors and that stuff made by Lapua (not the Wolf). other than that... CCI Green Tag. It did ok with Remington Subs and Target, but, if you ran it suppressed, issues arose.

CCI Standard and Subsonic are my cheap stuff.
Try out the various SK,Lapua,Eley and RWS offerings in addition. Get a box of everything. Shoot the entire box in 5-10rd groups. Clean when done.
Measure the groups, and then order the round that shoots best.

CBs and SSS are nice if you don't/can't have a suppressor, but neither are "match ammo".

I am one of the few that had decent luck with Remington subsonic.
Not as consistent as Wolf or Eley, both of which by rifle like, but the last time I used it I was tagging Clementine oranges at 125 yards.

I have a TI 1:9 that hates the 60-gr Aguila. Probably something to do with the 31.8 fps SD and 111 fps ES with 915 fps average MV.

But the TI is only 16" and any standard velocity ammo is subsonic from it. It shoots standard velocity SK and American Eagle subsonically and very accurately.