• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurizing a 10/22

hueys66

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
OREGON DESERT
What are the cheapest and easiest DIY accurizing tricks on a 10/22. Or is better to just buy install components? Thanks

Re: Accurizing a 10/22

How much gunsmithing are you comfortable with? You can buy an adjustable sear and then polish and stone the hammer and sear into getting a fairly light trigger pull, 2lb area. Take the factory barrel off and send it to Nemohunter over on rimfirecentral.com and he will set it back re-chamber it, put a new crown on it and hand-lap it for less than 100 bux if I remember right. Then you can just play around with floating the barrel or putting a pressure pad on it to find where your rifle likes to be at. You can spend less than a hundred dollars and get a 10/22 that will shoot in the .1s and maybe smaller at 25yds.
Isaac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hueys66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the cheapest and easiest DIY accurizing tricks on a 10/22. Or is better to just buy install components? Thanks </div></div>

I can't imagine not getting all of your answers here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Make sure you click on "tips and tricks" too.

Keith

Also check out:

http://www.theworks1022.com/

Very nice manual on do it yourself. There is a section on drilling a cleaning rod access hole, and on using locking screws to hold the triger assy more securely in the frame. He also does pressure bedding. You can send him the trigger group and he will polish the sear on his jig, and even shim the sides to remove any slop. He also makes his own springs. He has done two 10/22's of mine and I couldn't be more appy with them.

I had a 10/22 carbine model and I threw on a matt black tactical solutions barrel on it with a desert tan houge overmold stock on it and my leupold mark 4 is on it right now since my rifle is getting worked on and man I am so surprised with the accuracy it will throw bullets into the same hole every time if I do my part and keeps a ridiculous group out to 100 "furthest I shot it so far for grouping" I love it I am actually having alot of fun with it and it only took me a couple minutes and a couple hundred bucks haha... Now I just need to figure out what to do when my .308 gets back and wants the mark 4 back
frown.gif

Just got it back together and seems like the trigger is worse off then it was before. Did a polish job and thought that might help. Any recommendations?

Reactions: chopit

A dab of moly grease on the sear and in the trigger plunger hole. You could take a turn off the plunger spring, but do the bang the butt on the floor test, to be sure you don't go too light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hueys66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Storm- Have you used that E book? </div></div>

Yes I have the book and have done some of the easier mods (maintenance hole, set screws, etc). I left the trigger work for Doug (from www.theworks1022.com) to do, worth every penny.

Semi-related question - I have a completely stock 10/22 Target (laminated stock and heavy barrel). Tested a bunch of ammo at 50 yards. Best 10 shot groups were just about an inch. This was prone with a bipod. My question is - should I be expecting more from a stock rifle?

There was a guy at the range today with an Anschutz (sp?) shooting raggeg holes. I asked him to shoot mine, see how it does for him. No way. He wouldn't even consider it. Seemed a bit offended that I even asked, even tho he came over and started asking about my rifle? I figured if he shot ragged holes with mine, then I'd know it was me that is the problem. If he shot groups like I shoot, I'd say it's time for some accuracy upgrades.

Since I shoot better than all of my friends, it's really no help to ask any of them to try it.

Thanks.

This guy sounded like a real A$$ Hole. After that I wouldn't even let him hold my gun. I really don't see why he would not shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnCalloway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This guy sounded like a real A$$ Hole. After that I wouldn't even let him hold my gun. I really don't see why he would not shoot it. </div></div>

Yes he was! Funny thing was, he got all huffy, packed his stuff and left. His loss, I suppose. One of the few unfriendly people I've met there. Most everyone else is real nice, but many are novices like me.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semi-related question - I have a completely stock 10/22 Target (laminated stock and heavy barrel). Tested a bunch of ammo at 50 yards. Best 10 shot groups were just about an inch. This was prone with a bipod. My question is - should I be expecting more from a stock rifle?

There was a guy at the range today with an Anschutz (sp?) shooting raggeg holes. I asked him to shoot mine, see how it does for him. No way. He wouldn't even consider it. Seemed a bit offended that I even asked, even tho he came over and started asking about my rifle? I figured if he shot ragged holes with mine, then I'd know it was me that is the problem. If he shot groups like I shoot, I'd say it's time for some accuracy upgrades.

Since I shoot better than all of my friends, it's really no help to ask any of them to try it.

Thanks. </div></div>

Sounds like an Elitist prick......

Keith

Aside from that guy being an idiot, what about the accuracy of my stock 10/22? Should I be expecting more or is it time for upgrades?

Thanks.

If it makes any difference, my 10/22 carbine with the tapered barrel shooting Federal GM Match does about three or more inches at 100 yards. When I bedded the stock and switched out the barrel for a 20 in. Whistle Pig, it dropped to just over an inch. With Federal Automatch it opened up a bit to two or three inches. Haven't had much good luck with that stuff. Maybe a Kidd or Volquartsen might shoot a little better but the super light weight of the Whistle Pig sold me. The 10/22 is nowhere near an Anschutz and shouldn't be expected to perform like one. Sure - you can throw tons of money at one and get it reasonably close but by then, you would have the same into an Anschutz. I started swapping stuff out on my carbine because I liked tinkering with it. The increase in accuracy was a bonus. It killed many grounds squirrels in it's stock state. The lightweight barrel and increased accuracy just make it that much easier to shoot.

Has anyone had their barrel/reciever threaded, thus eliminating the v-block? Any inprovement in accuracy noticed?

I too just picked up a 10/22T and am not comfortable w/doing any real smith work (lack of tools/knowledge/time). What would be the first drop in that should be done to improve accuracy. Also, can I cut off my front sling loop so I can put a bi-pod on the stud? Not hijacking the thread, just thought the questions fell in line.

I don't think you need to cut off the front sling loop. There should be a small thumb screw that loosens the mount. Then you should be about two swing away one of the arms and the sling mount should fall off leaving you with a stud. As for accuracy, bedding it in if you're up to it. If not, then a lighter trigger would help a lot.

No thumb screw. It literally is a stud screwed into the front of the stock, with a sling loop which I'd assumed crimped into the hole in the stud

ewww...that sucks. Instead of cutting and leaving a metal plug, could you try and unscrew it from the stock? That way you can just get the the stud without the sling mount and screw it back in with a dab of wood glue or bedding compound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECHO4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No thumb screw. It literally is a stud screwed into the front of the stock, with a sling loop which I'd assumed crimped into the hole in the stud </div></div>

I just fixed mine - unscrew the one that is in there now and buy a quickk detach stud for your bipod to mount to. Not expensive and a nice end result.

I have bult several 10/22's over the decades, and the simplest route was to get a .920" diameter Butler Creek Target Barrel and Stock setup, then replace the trigger group internals with the Volquartsen parts set. I also added the oversized magazine release, and traded bolts with my Brother for one which had the bolt face reworked (not sure how) for accuracy by someone up in new England.

Dime-sized holes at 50yd are common results for this process.

I have a set of ten magazines for events that require single loading, and load each one with one round before the match stage. Saves a lot of time and fumbling during the stage, and it's a simpler matter to reload a single round into each of the ten all at once, rather than pop out a single mag and reload it ten times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tenringx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had their barrel/reciever threaded, thus eliminating the v-block? Any inprovement in accuracy noticed? </div></div>

tenringx,

I'll let the owner post the details when he's ready but this is a project that's in progress right now. The gun smithing work has been completed and he's just waiting for some bits to come together along with good conditions at the range to go testing the results. The gun should be a first class shooter and give the .22LR bolt guns a run for their money and it looks awesome!

Cheers/Chip

Thanks YAOG, I'll be eager to hear the results! Not sure if it would be worth the trouble, but us semi-auto's have to do anything possible to gain on the edge that the bolt's have.

Hi tenringx,

After hearing about that other 10/22 project a few weeks ago I sort of got the itch for a 10/22. I've always been a bolt gun guy and never managed to buy a 10/22 (in my 50+ years) and had always sort of poo-poo'd them as all of the 10/22's I had tried shooting were terrible guns. Large loose groups and regular jamming left me thinking why bother?

But a few weeks ago I was walking around a local gun show with my brother and some friends of mine and came across a 10 year old, new never been fired still in the box Ruger 10/22T sitting ignored on a table. This was an original 10/22T model with a laminated stock, polished and deeply blued Hammer Forged spiral barrel, anodized not painted receiver and all metal trigger group. The price was excellent as the seller was motivated but for some reason I just walked out and didn't buy it. I picked up his card and later called and found he still had the rifle and asked if he might like to do a trade? He was not interested in a trade but asked if I would I like to buy it for even less? Needless to say I arranged to buy it on the spot.

So it has gone through a few changes and I have not managed to shoot a single shot yet. I'm going to do some comparisons at some point but first I'm going to go and break in the gun a bit as I hear this is a large part of the problem with these guns. I've dropped the complete action into a Bell & Carlson Varmint/Tactical stock along with a Tactical Solutions 15MOA picatinny rail, Seeking 30mm rings and a prototype Falcon 5.5-25x56 FFP scope. Eventually I'm going to send the whole thing off to Randy at CPC and have him do a complete rework and thread the receiver and screw a 26" Lothar Walther SS barrel blank on the thing after he cuts a new match chamber. But first things first. 8^) I gotta keep up with that other guy's monster project 10/22!

Cheers!

The shadetree smithin' that I ended doin' worked like a charm on the rats last weekend. Appreciate all the input and output. We probably had 2000 confirmed in a mornin of shootin. There are so many of the darn things it almost got boring until we started up a long range contest.

These things used to be like popcorn for me. I didn't post sources, so:

Basically this, a set of Volquartsen trigger group internals and mag release, and an inexpensive 6-24x40 scope and Tasco rings.

Bang for buck, not a bad choice.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hueys66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shadetree smithin' that I ended doin' worked like a charm on the rats last weekend. Appreciate all the input and output. We probably had 2000 confirmed in a mornin of shootin. There are so many of the darn things it almost got boring until we started up a long range contest. </div></div>

What smithin' did you do? Just curious.

Thanks.