• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurizing a Rem 700

Mike0341

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Houston Texas
I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD and i believe it shoots pretty good. i have been told though that if i had it accurized then would perform a bit better.

im not sure how the process works but wouldn't that only really be beneficial if i was going to get a new barrel as well? how much of a gain in accuracy would i see if i just did the accurization process?

i can see how it would be beneficial but just do not know exactly how much it would help. i currently shoot less then a .5 moa group at 100 with federal 168 smks on a good day and on a crap day i shoot about a .7 moa. my rifle shoots more consistent with the 175s but they are harder for me to source so i stick with 168s until i start reloading.

thanks in advance

Re: Accurizing a Rem 700

I'm fairly new at this, but I assume 'they' mean trueing/blueprinting the action, and then maybe do some bedding on the stock.

I feel there is no need with the accuracy you're getting. The bedding may be worth it, and you could do it yourself.

Trueing the action and using the factory barrel probably wont improve anything. So wait until you get a new barrel.

There are a few things that can be done to help a stock rifle shoot better. Truing, bedding, lapping the barrel, trigger job. These would be more beneficial on a <span style="font-weight: bold">RIFLE</span> thats shooting 3/4MOA or larger. If you and your rifle are shooting 1/2 MOA or less I would just shoot the hell outa that! If your groups start opening up It might be worth messing with then.

The biggest issue with many of the factory Remington rifles is the stock. They tend to be cheap and do not allow the barrel to float, hindering long range performance. At relatively short distances, 1-2 hundred yards this may not be really noticeable. If that is all you are shooting and you are happy with the type of stock you have I would not worry about replacing it. If/when you shoot at longer distances you may begin to see inconsistencies in your groups. They may no longer print nice circular patterns, rather more of a string pattern. If that occurs it is time to consider a stock upgrade or fixing your existing stock. If it’s a hogue (like came with my sps tactical) or sps varmint I don’t recommend it as they tend to not play well. You would be better off selling it for a little cash than mess with it and not be happy with the end result and then not be able to recover any cash for it later.

If you chose to replace the stock a bedding job can also make the rifle a more consistent shooter. It may not shoot tighter but in my experience if it doesn’t it will generally help get rid of those occasionally fliers that are unexplainable when the shooter did everything right. You can bed it yourself if you chose... there are several threads in the gunsmithing section that will guide you along the way, Or you can pay to have it done... FWIW,I do my own.

Aside from that a quality but affordable drop-in trigger like a Timney or Rifle Basix is another useful accuracy enhancement. They can be had with lighter weight pulls to suit your preference but the biggest enhancement comes in the form of little to no take up or over travel and the weight to trip the firing pin is much more consistent than most of the factory triggers I have had experience with.

That is really it aside from quality mounts, optics and good ammo.

I would not mess with, nor recommend any steel working until you are ready to replace the barrel, be that lapping, truing or what have you. This is especially true when you have a rifle that is already demonstrating good to great accuracy characteristics.

This is a post on my personal work in progress
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...235#Post3384235

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest issue with many of the factory Remington rifles is the stock. They tend to be cheap and do not allow the barrel to float, hindering long range performance. At relatively short distances, 1-2 hundred yards this may not be really noticeable. If that is all you are shooting and you are happy with the type of stock you have I would not worry about replacing it. If/when you shoot at longer distances you may begin to see inconsistencies in your groups. They may no longer print nice circular patterns, rather more of a string pattern. If that occurs it is time to consider a stock upgrade or fixing your existing stock. If it’s a hogue (like came with my sps tactical) or sps varmint I don’t recommend it as they tend to not play well. You would be better off selling it for a little cash than mess with it and not be happy with the end result and then not be able to recover any cash for it later.

If you chose to replace the stock a bedding job can also make the rifle a more consistent shooter. It may not shoot tighter but in my experience if it doesn’t it will generally help get rid of those occasionally fliers that are unexplainable when the shooter did everything right. You can bed it yourself if you chose... there are several threads in the gunsmithing section that will guide you along the way, Or you can pay to have it done... FWIW,I do my own.

Aside from that a quality but affordable drop-in trigger like a Timney or Rifle Basix is another useful accuracy enhancement. They can be had with lighter weight pulls to suit your preference but the biggest enhancement comes in the form of little to no take up or over travel and the weight to trip the firing pin is much more consistent than most of the factory triggers I have had experience with.

That is really it aside from quality mounts, optics and good ammo.

I would not mess with, nor recommend any steel working until you are ready to replace the barrel, be that lapping, truing or what have you. This is especially true when you have a rifle that is already demonstrating good to great accuracy characteristics.

This is a post on my personal work in progress
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...235#Post3384235
</div></div>

very good advice everyone. i forgot to mention that i already have a stock. the rifle is shown in the video thats in my Sig. its a Rem 700 AAC-SD with AAC 51T muzzle brake, B&C adjustable stock, NF 20 MOA base, US Optics quick detach mount (made for an AR but it works well for the rifle and its bulletproof. went mudding in my truck and my rifle was banged around a bit and it held zero out to 500 yards), Nikon 4-16x50 scope, badger knob (not installed as of yet), harris bipods (just purchased a versa pod and hopefully i get it in soon).

thanks for the info. as of now I'm more than happy with the way it shoots on a good day (most likely it could be called a lucky day). at some point I'm going to want more though but of course i could just build another rifle
wink.gif
. I'm always looking for an excuse to save money for a gun lol

thanks again
mike

Nice shooting.

I have a similar situation...Remmy700 that shot 1/2 MOA with a B&C stock. I wanted a folding/shorter/transportable rifle so I went with a McRee folding stock after selling the B&C.

I sent it off to the Smith to get cut down, threaded, etc and asked that they 'accurize' the receiver. Not sure what it will do as i understand that it only 'trues' out irregularities, and if you're shooting that well it doesn't really need to be trued...but we'll see.

Bottom line if you're shooting <0.5MOA your rifle is better than 90% of those out there.

went shooting the other day and the groups were not as good as they typically are. my best group was .46 and the worst was almost 1.0 (.94 roughly). not sure if this was shooter error, the rifle, or the ammo. I'm taking it out again at the end of the month and instead of shooting at 600 I'm going to go to the 100 yard line and take a good look at my groups again. if they are averaging .75 or higher i think i may pull the trigger on having an accurization job done on my rig.