• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurizing method myth?

dave1894

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
IRAQ
I have read up on this form of accurizing and I want to know from any personal experience if it is true that it works in terms of improving accuracy and barrel life.

What makes absolutely no sense to me is the fact that it is so cheap to do and you would think the companies like Krieger, Schneider, Rock, Obermeyer etc would do this as part of their finalization?

Any responses will be appreciated,
Lw

Re: Accurizing method myth?

Ok cryo treating is not new and can do wonders to a factory barrel but all match barrels are stress relieved in some way and the benifites or re stress relieving are not realy found. as for better barrel life that is sompthing that has never realy been proven. if you have a barrel that seems to be walking as it heats up because of stress cryo treating could be worth a try.

Excellent answer! The way you said it makes complete sense. Thanks a million Wild Bill.

Lw

When you have a scientific and factual look at it there is nothing gained. I am aware that at least one maker who offers it has publicy stated they do so only due to demand. Many others have tested and found nothing.

Have a good dig around on the internet. The only easy to find "studies" are paid for or supported by those doing the process. Dig deeper and you can find mutiple other scientific tests with factual evidence which show it does nothing. There is one easily and reasonably cheap way to SHOW it does what is claimed and none of the people pushing it have done so
wink.gif

OTOH, it's one of the current fads and some swear by it so it must be good......

You can contact the company you have linked to and ask them to prove "This dry process permanently refines the grain structure of a firearm barrel at the atomic level". VERY easy to show this. It's called a electron microscope.

High quality barrels are uasualy double stress relieved during manufacturing so they have little or nothing to gain. It's the lower quality barrels that might show some improvement. But then again since they are lower quality to begin with it may not overcome their other shortcomings. So it's still a crap shoot..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High quality barrels are uasualy double stress relieved during manufacturing so they have little or nothing to gain. It's the lower quality barrels that might show some improvement. But then again since they are lower quality to begin with it may not overcome their other shortcomings. So it's still a crap shoot.. </div></div>
So all they are doing is just tempering the barrels? Sounds like they stuck the barrels in the oven for two iterations.

I believe Krieger offers that service. Is there something gained by doing the cryo-process? Yes and No. There is a very little strength added to a bbl by doing this process. After a custom bbl is made it really doesn't need cryo. However, it doesn't hurt the bbl in anyway. I know that Tac Ops uses Krieger bbls and after they match the action up to the bbl it is sent off to be cryo'd. You have to decide for yourself if its a complete waste of time and effort for such a little gain or is it worth it to you.

Jamie

Looks interesting, wonder what it would do to a Featherweight (M-70) barrel?

I have a couple of good shooting Model 70 featherweight, (257 & 270). Will this process allow me to shoot longer before the tiny barrels from slinging bullets everywhere when they get hot.

Cryo treatment has to be done immediately after heat treatment, then the grain structure of the steel is refined. The most benefit is in knive hardening, as nearly all carbon is then bound in Martensit structure, the desired hard structure.
Benefits to barrels? I dont think so, but I cannot say for sure. My knowledge comes from knivemaking. At least cryo treatment does not make a barrel worse.