• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurracy degrading rapidly.

dk-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
Central, Ca.
My Rem 700 somewhat custom was shooting pretty decent, 1/2-3/4 MOA out to about 400 yards. I have 965 documented rounds down the tube to date. I shoot in very powdery dirt and I know that after each shot some dust settles in the bore/chamber. Tonight my 200 yard groups were about 1 1/2 MOA and the cases were sticking somewhat in the chamber after about 10 rounds. Most of the cases were scratched up after ejection. The rifle was clean before shooting today. Any ideas or possible causes for me to chase down before taking it in to the smith?

Re: Accurracy degrading rapidly.

Everything still tightend to the usual torque? Stock bolts, scope rings and bases?

Same ammo as last time, i.e., the 1/2-1/4 moa rounds?

Do You reload? If so how often do you trim and full length resize your brass? May start there

do you mop out the chamber when you clean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything still tightend to the usual torque? Stock bolts, scope rings and bases?

Same ammo as last time, i.e., the 1/2-1/4 moa rounds? </div></div>

Factory FGMM, everything is re torqued at cleanings. It has been progressively getting worse for the past four range sessions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you mop out the chamber when you clean? </div></div>

One of the last things I do.

what stock is your rifle sitting in? is it bedded? any damage to the crown? need more info.

Stock is an HS, bedded with Brownell's steel bed. Crown is fine, threaded with a cap which protrudes about 1/8" beyond muzzle....Factory bbl and chamber, smith did cut/crown.

I'm cleaning it again now and am getting large amounts of copper fouling. I'm on my third cycle of scrubbing. I only fired 22 rounds today, which makes the amount of copper seem excessive.

scope base/rings tight? shifting zero in your scope maybe? what scope do you have on your rifle?

Tried my NXS and MK4, both produced the same results. I'm going to finish cleaning it today and try again, maybe I was missing something.

is your target moving? heh

get some of the spray in foaming copper remover. I use gunslick foam which turns blue as it runs out if there is copper. Load the bore and chamber and let it sit for a half hour with the muzzle down so it will run out the muzzle and not into the action. Push a bronze brush soaked with copper solvent (I use M-7 copper solvent) through the bore a few times, followed by a few more dry clean patches. Then do the foam thing again and see if it still runs out blue (I place a clean patche under the muzzle so I can see any blue stain.) If

I have cleaned a few barrels for people that were really badly copper fouled and most times it was clean with two foamings, only once did I have to do it a fourth time to get it to run clean with no blue staining.

And the gunslick foaming cleaner is also pretty decent on the normal carbon and powder.

And if all the copper is out of the bore and its still sliding down the accuracy slope, I would find someone with a bore scope to see if the chamber or lead into the rifling has been damaged.

Captain Kick-Ass touched on something that you might want to look into further & that is, have you mopped out the chamber. By no means am I a gunsmith or an expert; however, I previously ran into a similar situation in my 300 Weatherby. Essentially the cases were getting harder & harder to extract & accuracy was suffering. Ultimately, I ended up lodging a spent shell in the chamber & I was unable to extract it.

Once I took it to my gunsmith who did extract it, he informed me that it was because the chamber was not cleaned and had accumulated a lot of carbon. This was the route of both my accuracy problem and the loading problem.

Have you scrubbed out the throat really good lately? Could be a carbon ring...

Mark... I think that was what the issue was in my 300 Weatherby. Even though I cleaned he barrel, this ring created all sorts of havoc.