• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACDs Who uses them? Update(Me likey!)

jdgray

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2009
SW, MI.
I shoot on a lot of unlevel ground, and was thinking about getting a level for my rifle. Who uses the scope ring levels? Or would a rail mounted unit be better?

Thanks for your time.

Re: ACDs Who uses them?

I use one on every rifle I own.

I use the USO scope mounted version as the rail mounted version can tweak a bit when torqued down on the rail and is no longer level.

If you use NF rings, they have a version that replaces the top half of the ring. I prefer to have it on the left side so I can see it easily by using my left eye (I'm a right handed shooter, right eye dominant) rather than on top of the scope, but thats another option.

There are three basic types of levels:

- Rail Mounted

- A multi function Ring mounted level, but integral to the ring itself; Like NF and others.

- And Ring mounted on a separate ring, mounted to your scope, all by itself, with no other function.

The first two are the easiest to use and mount, since they are going on a presumably level platform, your base.

The last, a separate ring, with level mounted only to your scope, requires that both your rifle and scope be dead level with each other, when you install it. If either one of the two elements, rifle or scope, are not perfectly level, you have failed.

For that reason alone, either one of the first two are preferred, by this shooter.

YMMV,

Bob

I use a fixed rail mounted USO, I have checked it against a actual level and it is spot on. I dont like the fold in models, less moving parts......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a fixed rail mounted USO, I have checked it against a actual level and it is spot on. I dont like the fold in models, less moving parts...... </div></div>

Will this fit under the scope, without removing? I'm using .25" rings.

Well I finally got out to the 300yrd mark today, and shot my best group ever. I went with the scope mounted unit, and shooting prone, off a bipod, I found myself releveling after each shot. I was shooting on paper to see where my zero was, and printed a 1.700" 3 shot group. The guy I was shooting with shot a 2" 3 shot group, first time shooting my rifle. We moved on to the 5" steel swinging target, and we never missed a shot in the next 10 rounds. Gonna have to find a longer range to shoot at, but for now 300 is all I got. I think this little level is the cats ass, and never realized how far out of plum you can get, and think your straight up level!