• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Acetone/case lube?

mike1128

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2008
Mississippi
Hey guys, was wondering your thoughts on pouring some acetone on a rag and wipeing down the cases would work with removing the lube?

Re: Acetone/case lube?

Yup that works just make sure there is no actual liquid. You would not want that to wick by and contaminate powder or primer

It'll also work on nail polish...

Kidding. I am an apostate in that I manually wipe my resized cases down with.........diluted Windex. It cuts the Dillon lube nicely and, as I've been doing it this way for several years, I've seen no issues regarding case life or coloration.

Thanks for your replys, I'd rather wipe them down individually then send them to the tumbler again for a few hours. Just my personal preference.

Acetone will work fine. Not sure what lube your using. I use imperial and just wipe it off with a dry paper towel. I clean the case necks (outside) with never dull before sizing.

Kinda overkill for a water soluble compound but it will sure work. Alcohol would
be a little easier on you and your wallet.

"Alcohol would be a little easier on you and your wallet."

Roger that. Acetone is a tremendous solvent, cut the oily residue on cases fast. And cut the oil outta your skin just as fast!

I prefer to use mineral spirts/oderless paint thinner on a cloth, it's not so volatile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the RCBS lube on my cases </div></div>
RCBS Case Lube-2 is water-based. A wet rag should do it.

Damn I just throw em in the tumbler and let em roll for a bit then uniform the primer pockets and that makes sure there is no media stuck in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn I just throw em in the tumbler and let em roll for a bit then uniform the primer pockets and that makes sure there is no media stuck in there. </div></div>

Ayup, me too.

Not recommended in garages with pilot-light equipped water heaters.

I don't recall Dillon's lube (sheep oil in an alcohol carrier) being water-soluble--used to use it. Don't know about RCBS -2 lube. Used to use the old roll on the stamp pad stuff way back when I began but found it to be a bit overkill, could cause .002 or so headspace variations (okay, NBD), and was the hardest to remove.

I've switched to Hornady One-Shot (SHAKE the can), and am sticking with the can of carb or brake cleaner I always keep on hand, laid on an old towel. Separate laundry for that stuff, for sure!

Spray, roll and put away. It even works with the kitchen spray stuff, but you *gotta* get it out of the extractor groove or they smell funny after a few weeks. It can harden in the die's vent hole, too.

Acetone, Lauquer Thinner, Toluene, etc. are very damaging to your liver. They are absorbed through the skin and the liver must deal with them.

If you handle them a lot, be sure to wear gloves. The alcohol is bad too since it's Iso or Methyl generally, but even the "ethanol" comes denatured so it's still poisonous.

Acetone and the other "high class" solvents (MEK included) are 1000x's or more harder on you than alcohol is.

I wipe off the cases with alcohol or tumble them if I have a lot to do.

I use RCBS case lube as well and just use an old dry cloth after sizing.

Are latex gloves safe to handle the acetone with? I notice the tips come off after I used it to take some paint off of my rifle, maybe if I just change them frequent that should be ok?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are latex gloves safe to handle the acetone with? I notice the tips come off after I used it to take some paint off of my rifle, maybe if I just change them frequent that should be ok? </div></div>

Yes, you should be changing the gloves frequently, I find that the acetone and MEK break down the latex and they tear pretty fast. Brake cleaner does the same thing.

I actually use the nitrile gloves instead, they last much better in a harsh environment.

Get the vinyl gloves sold for painting and food handling. About $3 per hundred. Latex is too soluable for the higher class solvents.