• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ackley Imp

jhedg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
New to the AI shooting, just getting some fire forming done, one of my questions is do you guys who shoot the AI get better accuracy after your brass is formed? right now I am getting around .4 moa@100yds for 5 shots. just curious. also what are some diffrent ways you guys FF your brass, thanks for all the help

Re: Ackley Imp

My 243 AI, 6.5X57 AI do pretty damn good fire-forming. But you really need the full case capacity to get the best out of the cartridge. I also have 6mm Dasher, 260 AI, 300 AI, 300 Short AI, 6.5-284 Shehane, 6.5-06 AI too damn many.....

I got a 8-280 AI and am building a .280 AI but in my experience all my cases fire better when formed to the guns chamber. No matter if they are A.I. or not. or were you just showing off? But I do like the velocity of the 8-280 w 180's 3000 fps. which one are you doing?

The main thing with forming brass is to create the false shoulder with a tight fit with firm bolt close.That way the brass fireforms true.Don't forget to use bolt grease on the lugs.

Steve

use a max load for the standard cartridge. Fireforming has never increased accuracy or made it any worse for that matter in my Ackleys. You will just benifit from more velocity with the improved carteidge. The max load will make sure that the brass forms fully.

I'm going to put together a 280AI, what barrel length do you guys reccomend for best perfomance? and i'll be useing a rem 700 with factory DBM, will I run into feeding issues? I'll be rebarelling a 270, can I form 270 brass to make cases?

thanks,

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_21420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to put together a 280AI, what barrel length do you guys reccomend for best perfomance? and i'll be useing a rem 700 with factory DBM, will I run into feeding issues? I'll be rebarelling a 270, can I form 270 brass to make cases?

thanks,

Steve </div></div>

PM SENT!

I runa 26 inch 1/8 twist throated for the 180 VLD. It is a fine shooter. You need not waste your money on fireforming. It is cheaper to purchase the Nosler Custom 280 Ackley brass, Especially with the cost of components.

Ditto on the Nosler stuff its good, I just got some. Slayer if you have to use .270's you'll have to expand the neck over .338 O.D. or else you won't have a shoulder far enough foward to headspace on.