• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Ackley Question...

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
If I have a Ackley chambered rifle, and have fire formed a lot of brass with the rifle, then get a new tube cut for it, will the brass I have work in the new tube even though it was cut with a different reamer?

Re: Ackley Question...

the answer is mabe, if the chamber reamers are the same spec then they might. the sizing die might bring it back to fit in the new chamber also and if the reamer is new and sharper on this chamber it will likley cut slightly larger making the cases fir and the opposite is true if the reamer is dull and it cust slightly smaller the cases might not fit.

So you will have to wait until the barrel is chambered and then try. I usualy try to use new cases with a new barrel but understand that you want to use up good cases that are already formed.

If you currently have a 30-06 AI (just drawing at straws here since you didn't say what chamber it was) chamber and rebarrel it back 30-06 AI but the chamber is cut with a different chambering reamer, if you full length size the brass it should, repeat SHOULD fit the new chamber.

If it were me I would shoot a few rounds of new brass in the new chamber. Then measure the fired brass with a headspace comparator like the Hornady / Stoney Point unit. Then use the new fired brass to adjust the dies to bump the shoulder the right amount. You should then be able to size the old brass to fit the new chamber.

Are there full length sizers for AI's? (New to Ackley stuff)

It's a .223AI, I'm gonna touch the factory barrel out to AI since it's low milage, then later when I put a custom tube on it I was wondering if the brass would work.

Just curious...

Yes, there are AI dies but, chamber /reamer dimensions will play a role in whether or not the brass works from rifle to rifle. Being a 223, I'd run straight 223 ammo through the new rifle and save the formed hulls. Some of the factory 223 ammo shoots in dots in the AI chambers.