• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ackley shooters?

JeffP40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Helena,Mt.
I'm just starting to load for an AI. Are there any particular quirks to look forward to with these? So far, I am noticing mine tends to be pretty touching when getting to the upper limits of pressure. Mine tends to "hit the wall" pretty quickly when working up to the top. It seems to be a little less tolerant to charge variations than the standard cartridges I have loaded. I assume the straight case has a lot to do with it?

Re: Ackley shooters?

I think everyone's definition of "hitting the wall" quickly is probably different. I would say that when you do reach that limit, it is easy to tell (sticky bolt, primers, etc), the normal stuff.
THe biggest thing that i've seen is in fireforming loads. Sometimes you can get a "rounded" shoulder, much like a weatherby looking round. I do not know the cause of this, but I do know that I am not the only person that it happens to.

WHich is ackley you shootin?

6.5-06. I am using 25-06 brass. The fireforming goes very well, I have been very satisfied. I have found the top of the pressure seems to jump at me. A half-grain difference will give hard mark on the bolt face, and I know I am done. I have only lost a primer one time when a newby 25 years ago with my 243, but I have done it twice now with this cartridge. I am starting to get a feel for it as I go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiredude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think everyone's definition of "hitting the wall" quickly is probably different. I would say that when you do reach that limit, it is easy to tell (sticky bolt, primers, etc), the normal stuff.
THe biggest thing that i've seen is in fireforming loads. Sometimes you can get a "rounded" shoulder, much like a weatherby looking round. I do not know the cause of this, but I do know that I am not the only person that it happens to.

WHich is ackley you shootin? </div></div>I have a Cooper Model 22 in .243 AI and it will fire form Winchester brass on the first shot. It has been my experience that Federal and Nosler brass takes two shots to get the crisp shoulders.

I have a 243 AI and it fireforms win and Lapua brass on the first shot, I use a starting load for the 243 win and jam the bullet in the lands, no pressure problem at all and accuracy is pretty darn good too.
hope this helps

use to run a 257AI.

Unless you use a good charge and a somewhat heavy plug to fireform the case you will get alot of partialy formed new shoulders.

The straighter case walls grip the chamber a bit more helping to mask the sticky bolt lift indicator. I learned some very important lessons one hot summer session at the range. First temp stable powder would have been a good choice, dont leave your ammo in direct sunlight, a good winter hunting load can be a cartridge ruiner in the summer.

As I started to learn to dial on elevation and read wind for holds the 'need' for speed dropped enough to make the fireforming process tedious.

AI was fun but like a high maintenance female sooner or later you get tired of the extra work for the slight extra benefit.

Good luck

I have had 3 ackleys and loved them all 223 22-250 260. Used the cow method to fire form them all. start low and work up till you get a sharp shoulder then start loading for accuracy.

After reviewing some more posts, I thought I'd add some more. I have a .22-250 AI as well. My fire form load for that is a standard rat load. A 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip on top of 38 grains of Varget. I went to a big rat town near the Kansas border and fire formed 300 rounds. Enjoyed soft target impacts out to 450 yds with amazing accuracy.

I use R19 pushing cheap 85g speer bt for fireforming my 243ai brass. I use about 95% of max load for the standard 243, they shoot great with no pressure signs and make perfect shoulders. It is easy to go over the edge with ai cartridges imo. I've got the busted brass to prove it. I find that 90-95% gives great accuracy, good speed and longer case life. I'm with gvnhyning on forming a couple hundred at a time while doing some fun shooting.

In 2002, due to my ignorance, I headspaced my 257RAI with a new WW brass case as the go gauge.

This is .004" too long, as it does not allow for brass crush at the base of the case neck, by the sharp ring of the chamber.

As a result cases will separate .1" behind the shoulder, if I try to form in one shot.

I have experimented ~100 different ways to fire form brass in this rifle.

What I now do is put 10 gr of any pistol powder and cover with instant Cream of Wheat. No bullet. This forms 1/2 of the shoulder.

The second shot is full load with a bullet, full accuracy.

Then the shoulder looks fully formed.

I then cut threads and chambers on 3 more Lothar Walther light varmint barrels for buddies, and I headspaced them .004" tighter.