• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG 1.5 x24 on a M-4 type AR-15

Not really.

It’s a fine optic, very reliable. But definitely slower than a aimpoint/hws.
The big issue with these are in a home defense scenario in low light, with a flashlight you will have very very weak illum because it’s too dark for the fibre optic and not dark enough for the tritium.

Seriously if you need a one and done optic specifically for home defense/self defense in close quarter nothing comes close to an aimpoint T2 for that task. Unless you have some kind of eye issue (astigmatism, etc) and can’t see an aim point dot very well.

I do have a rifle with an Acog TA33 because I really the size and ruggedness but also have a RMS piggy backed on top.

Everything @st1650 just told you is correct. The good old days of the ACOG being king are long, long over. Strongly recommend just buying an Aimpoint PRO or Duty RDS and keeping it simple (and cheaper).

Red dot or holographic dominate in close contact scenarios. I personally prefer holographics with the circle or death. I recently switched from the EOTech EXPS-3s to the Vortex Gen 2 Hueys and have no regrets. FOV is much better to my eyes

It's a great optic but unlike Red Dots and Eotechs it has a scope like eye box which is slower for most people. The one situation where it really shines is for people with bad astigmatism. The glass is fantastic and the reticle crisp and uncluttered. The other draw back / benefit is the battery less fiber optic and tritium illumination. Some situation will cause it to wash out and other times it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyone with a 30mm TA33 find a knock off sunshade that adapts to the threads? The oem killflash much too pricey.

No amount of magnification is good for close quarters/home defense. Even if you train with it a ton, you don't want to spend compute cycles working out magnification in a stressful scenario. Any of the quality 1x optics, like Aimpoints, are going to be a much better option. Throw a 50 yard zero on it and you are good from 0-200 yards without a lot of thought or effort. I used to own a 1.5X ACOG and the clarity was great and it was fun to shoot at the range, but I sold it and would never get another.

ACOGs make a lot of sense as a battle optic when you expect a longer engagement distance. They really simplify training folks to accurately hit at extended distances, and they are durable AF. The quality of more traditional riflescopes has improved, allowing much more versatility than a fixed magnification range. So, in this price range, most folks would pick something like a 1-6X Vortex Razor. But most of us would still tell you that is a terrible choice for home defense, because even in that case, "1x" is still with an aperture a foot or more in front of where your eye is, which can make things slower to see/understand than using an unmagnified optic, like an Aimpoint or Eotech. The reason many of us recommend Aimpoint for home defense is that they have great quality and a battery life measured in years.