• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG 3.5x. Which Reticle?

ronin16

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2006
SF Bay Area,CA
Narrowed my AR optics to the ACOG 3.5x but having trouble deciding which reticle? Doughnut , Chevron , Cross Hair???? I'll be using it for distances past 100yds and
beyond with 20" barrel 1/8 .223. Primarily for competition But would like to keep
it realistic as well. Any feedback will greatfully be appreciated. The 3.5x ACOG seems to be the happy medium for my application unless you guys think otherwise. Thanks for looking !!!!

Re: ACOG 3.5x. Which Reticle?

A friend just got the new H reticle and loves it. I've looked at it and see it as an improvement over my circle/xmas tree.

Any idea which model the H reticle was? There's so many damn models hard to keep up

TA-31F fits the bill very nice for me. It has the Red Chevron with 62grain BDC. Its not a precision optic but shooting to 200 with it works very well for me.

I would do this, get the Doughnut, run a 8" Point blank ZERO. The Doughnut will let yo engage 8" round targets from 0-250yds just holding center of mass on them.

Then with the BDC, put steel down range and shoot it until you learn where the bullet strikes the target at, thats your hold.

it works for me very well.

John

I like the horseshoe (H) model the best. Trijicon is building this model with a green fiber optic that has improved visibility of the reticle in all lighting conditions.

I've been using the red chevron for some time and have very few complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garcia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Narrowed my AR optics to the ACOG 3.5x but having trouble deciding which reticle? Doughnut , Chevron , Cross Hair???? I'll be using it for distances past 100yds and
beyond with 20" barrel 1/8 .223. Primarily for competition But would like to keep
it realistic as well. Any feedback will greatfully be appreciated. The 3.5x ACOG seems to be the happy medium for my application unless you guys think otherwise. Thanks for looking !!!! </div></div>
I've had a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TA11</span></span> (3.5X, Red Tritium/Red Fiber Optic lit with Red Circle and BAC [Bindon Aiming Concept]) mounted on a 16" Shorty Bushmaster for 15 years. While the 4 MOA Circle/doughnut isn't a precision reticle (its a 3.5X scope anyway). The Fiber Optic system is very efficient - it is actually too bright for me under full sunlight and very bright in shaded, ambient light. IMHO, the Red Circle combined with the BAC make the optic better suited for CQB (close-quaters-battle) and distances to 250 yards as as <span style="font-weight: bold">J.Boyette</span> said. However, the stadia lines work pretty well too - using the elevation stadia line I can easily hit man-sized torso silhouettes when shooting "good" ammo (I prefer 62gr. Black Hills, which IIRC is what the TA11 is calibrated for, but the 55gr. bullets work OK too). <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> Before I bought my TA11 I spoke to a tech at Trijicon, who told me that the Circle is 4 MOA (outside diameter) and 3 MOA (inside diameter), which makes the "circle" line thickness 1/2 inch. That may or may not be the spec now, as I bought my TA11 so long ago.

<span style="font-weight: bold">16" "Shorty" Bushmaster XM15A2 w/Trijicon TA11 & "Shorty-look" slipover flash suppressor:</span>
Shorty168x6.jpg

I've also shot several friends 16" Bushmasters, all mounted with 4X32 <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TA01</span></span> (Black during daylight, Red Tritium Lit at night, no BAC) scopes. Because the TA01 has an actual crosshair (the point where vertical and horizontal lines intersect), it provides a precise POI (point-of-aim) while still useable for CQB (close-quaters-battle). I liked them too, but there are now a lot more reticle and color choices available than there were when I bought my TA11.

Keith

I like the TA11H. The horseshoe/dot reticle may have been around awhile, but I know it from Ed Verdugo's rendition that IOR created the CQB reticle from. My understanding is that Trijicon also looked at Ed's reticle and essentially copied it without permission. It's an effective combat/CQB reticle that allows for speed AND precision, IMO.

Scott