• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ACOG 3X30 or S&B 8x56 on an AR15 - advice please?

jim996

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2018
Evening all

I'm in the UK an have just ordered my first AR15. (Schmeisser SP15 14.5 inch). It's a rifle I've always wanted even though we are limited to straight pull and can't own semi automatics in the UK.

Wanted to ask some advice on optics please. I looking at an ACOG 3x30 for the rifle as it an iconic pairing for an M4 but wanted to ask how far you can realistically shoot with this optic and how far you can actually spot the hits on steel. I'm realistically looking to use if for vermin shooting and to shoot out to six hundred yards max on steel (have plenty of long guns for going further). Might use it for the odd PRS match as well.

My other alternative is an S&B 8x56 Klassic I have spare in the safe but it's a pretty big scope and not sure if it will look right on an M4?

Just after opinions from people who've used this AGOG as they are as rare as hens teeth in the UK so not had a chance to look through one.

Just my humble opinion, as there are many on this sight more qualified to answer your question, so take the following with a grain of salt. If you truly intend to shoot as far as you’re suggesting (I’m assuming 300m or more) I would go with the S&B. It will make everything easier, especially spotting hits/misses. If it’s predominantly inside of 300m I would go with the ACOG.

Reactions: jim996
Definitely the S&B. You can add 45 degree offset BUIS or Reflex Site, like the Trijicon for quick target acquisition.
I prefer a 1-8 LVPO and 45 offset BUIS but it’s just preference.
I can consistently hit 10” plate inside a car at 575 rds prone on 8x power. It is a tree reticle so that helps with wind. 77gr SMK bullet and 12.5” BA barrel fyi.

Reactions: jim996
Thanks for the advice. I actually drunk E-bayed an ex-demonstrator 3x30 ACOG last night at a great price. I'm going to try it and if I don't like it will sell it and mount the S&B. Thanks again.