• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing ACOG for deer hunting

grinnergetter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
NW Indiana
Looking for optics to be used on a RRA 458 SOCOM. Always wanted to try a ACOG but dont know which reticle to look at. I'm hoping to use the reticle for longer ranges so one of the ones with addtional aiming points would be best. Would the Chevron be ok for use out to 200 yards or is there a better option? I'm thinking 4 power.
Any tips or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Re: ACOG for deer hunting

That round kicks a bit. Be sure to check out the eye relief of the different models.

CHRIS

I went back and looked again.....you just saved me a gash or at least a hell of a dent. Thanks, I'm cured of that thought.

Running a 3x9 3200 on my 450 Bushy and love it. Ran my Millett DMS and liked the reticle but I like the higher power out around 150+. Check out the DMS you might like it, it's 4 or 4.5 top end, can't remember which.

I had a 3x9 accupoint on a ar-10. It had the red triangle. I currently run a 2.5x10x56 accupoint yellow triangle on my 270. It's a dedicated lowlight hunting rig. The accupoints are dang good bang for the buck.

Check them out you might be impressed.

Something else to keep in mind is that the "range finding" reticle wouldnt really be needed if the furthest distance your shooting is 200. Not sure of the drop on the socom but everything suggested so far should be quite fine.

But i do love my ACOGs
Also if you go to trijicons website they show that the chevron is actually a range finder of sorts as well. A brief search will help explain

My factory Corbon 300 hp loads are BIG TURDS out at 200 yards! With my Nikon tactical 2.5X10 on it zeroed at 100 yds, drops 2 freakin mills! That's like 20 inch drop from out there but will still do the work I guess. I'm gonna yank that glass off and go with a 2.5X8 MRT or the like instead. Low mag but enough for what it's designed for.

Exactly why I wanted something with hash marks. Lots of energy left at 200 so why not take advantage of the cartridge.

Any other options would be appreciated.

With the 450 Bushmaster and factory rounds where the bottom cross hair comes to a point and goes fine works real well out at 200yd.