• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG: Horseshoe or Chevron

Old Glory

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Looking at 4x ACOGs TA31RCO A4 or TA31H Chevron or Horseshoe...I am stuck.

My uninformed opinion is the Chevron is more precise but the Horseshoe would be faster inside 100 yards?

It will be going on a 16 inch barrel if that makes any difference.

Primary use is at the range 100 yards punching paper or plinking jugs.

Thanks!

Re: ACOG: Horseshoe or Chevron

Unless the paper or jugs are shooting back at you,the chevron should be fast enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Glory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at 4x ACOGs TA31RCO A4 or TA31H Chevron or Horseshoe...I am stuck.

My uninformed opinion is the Chevron is more precise but the Horseshoe would be faster inside 100 yards?

Thanks!</div></div>

Why ACOG it at all for 100 yard paper punching? The ACOG's value is in it's rangefinding/bullet drop compensating reticle, giving the marksman the ability to identify and get good quick hits on E sized targets, at unknown distances, in the 300 to 600 meter arena. Good and quick does not mean precision hits. The concept is certainly very good for what the design addresses; however, it's not always parallax free, and other issues preclude it from being ideal for what you are expecting from an optic. Also, from a 16 inch barrel, you may find handloading to the average muzzle velocity for M855 as delivered from a 14.5 inch (M4 designated ACOG) or 20 inch barrel (A4 designated ACOG) is necessary for appropriate BDC function, even if you're already using center of mass holds on E sized targets.

Here's an idea, consider learning how to use the BDC carry handle sight. With the as-issued irons, and good sight alignment/trigger control/wind favors, you should, with some work at it, be able to hit the size targets your rifle was designed for, all the way out to the rifle's maximum effective range.

Think too of the money you will save by using the irons, heck, you could apply some of that savings to some basic marksmanship training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Glory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at 4x ACOGs TA31RCO A4 or TA31H Chevron or Horseshoe...I am stuck.

Thanks!</div></div>

Why ACOG it at all for 100 yard paper punching? The ACOG's value is in it's rangefinding/bullet drop compensating reticle, giving the marksman the ability to identify and get good quick hits on E sized targets, at unknown distances, in the 300 to 600 meter arena. Good and quick does not mean precision hits. The concept is certainly very good for what the design addresses; however, it's not always parallax free, and other issues preclude it from being ideal for what you are expecting from an optic. Also, from a 16 inch barrel, you may find handloading to the average muzzle velocity for M855 as delivered from a 14.5 inch (M4 designated ACOG) or 20 inch barrel (A4 designated ACOG) is necessary for appropriate BDC function, even if you're already using center of mass holds on E sized targets.

Here's an idea, consider learning how to use the BDC carry handle sight. With the as-issued irons, and good sight alignment/trigger control/wind favors, you should, with some work at it, be able to hit the size targets your rifle was designed for, all the way out to the rifle's maximum effective range.

Think too of the money you will save by using the irons, heck, you could apply some of that savings to some basic marksmanship training.</div></div>

I definitely need the marksmanship training. I am new to rifles and trying to learn. Why ACOG...I hope I never have to be in a combat situation but would like to take some of those courses. I would like to have some kind of optic to help me see out to 100, 200, 300 yards. Again in my inexperienced opinion I think the Horseshoe would be quicker in simulated combat situations inside 100 yds but I have no idea if I am correct. Tinking the chevron would help with tighter more accurate groups.

I do plenty of close range shooting with an ACOG equipped with the chevron. It does really well for me and others that shoot with me.

Get one of the ACOGs with the fiber-optic reticle illumination and seeing your reticle quickly and easily will not be an issue.