• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ACOG mounting question with front sight

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
I have a new LMT flattop 16" bbl with LMT OEM rear aperture sight-it has the "A" front sight/gas block configuration. I want to put an ACOG in place of the rear sight using LaRue QD mount & Trijicon 4x32 ACOG. Will I be able to see "over" the front sight, or will I need to switch to a lower/no sight gas block...? any recommendations on gas blocks? Info appreciated.

Re: ACOG mounting question with front sight

I have the same set up on my Colt. Unfortunately, with the flaptop, you are going to see the front sight through your ACOG. It doesn't bother me a bit, but does for other. Hope that helps.

dumb question-is that just a bit of sight out of focus through the bottom of the scope field of view, or... more of a blockage ? I'll have my scope & see firsthand in a week, just wanted to get jump on ordering a new gas block if needed. thanks.

The front site will be in the background but can be seen. It doesn't completely obstruct the cross hair on the target.

thank you for the quick reply, think I need to change out the front sight...

its really not an issue.. as long as you are focused on the crosshair it presents no problem and you ( at least I) have to try to focus on the front sight.

I would advise you not to change the front sight. All of the USMC in Iraq uses the flat-top mounted ACOG with no change to the front sight assembly on the M-16 and M4's.

I shot the QD course at Quantico in this configuration last summer, and it didn't bother me a bit.

WCW, don't worry a bit about the front sight getting in the way. My ACOG is mounted on M4 and you can barely notice it. You'll see what we're talking about when your new scope and mount comes in. I wouldn't plan on changing it at all. It's a perfectly functionaly setup.

like its been said above, we use that setup in iraq both times i been over there, and it doesnt hinder anything at all. I would leave it as is

Thanks, to those responding who have experience in these matters. I will leave as is, look and try with the ACOG & front sight.