• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Acog question

scsbronco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Michigan
Hey guys,

I've been think of getting an Acog to switch between 223 and a 308. How close would the marking be if I used a 556 reticle with 165gr and higher 308 ammo? Same ball park? I was just sitting here at work wondering.

Thanks

Re: Acog question

i think you would be better off with a scope with a measureing reticle like mil/moa if your putting it on 2 sererate calibers. look at a scope like the 1-4 pst

I'm no expert, but I agree with Vette. I have no experience on two-way range, but I do run a TA31RCO on a BCM setup that I use coyote hunting. I wouldn't trade that optic for any other setup; it just plain works for me for that setup.I think you should consider NF 2.5-10 or similar. I am not a fan of switching optics between completely different setups, but if it works for you go for it.

Agree with the previous posts...

Trijicon offers a .308 calibrated version of the ACOG... So, you can get an appropriate ACOG for each of your rifles. But, I would not expect to get good results by picking one and trying to make it do double duty on two different calibers of rifles.

I wouldn't do it. I think you're going to be constantly fussing with things.

I did a quick comparison on a ballistic calculator. Assuming you pick the same 5.56 and 7.62 loads I did, you'll be anywhere from 1-4 inches off between 200 and 500 yards. I guess that's "ball park" if you don't care about precision and you have large targets.

It's still a bad idea though, my calculations are assuming you re-zero the Acog at 100 yards every single time you swapped rifles. If you don't re-zero every time, I expect it will be a world of confusion.

one scope between rifles, get like a 1-4 with moa or mil reticle and use either for hold over, using a acog like that isn't a good idea