• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG Questions

Recon Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Hello Hide,

I was asked by my Gunny dig up some info on the Acog. I guess now'a days the Corps is doing rifle quals with the ACOG, and non of us iron sight shooter have ever been trained professionaly of whats right and worng while shooting the ACOG. We want to try and teach what the Corps is teaching for the boots in the group, and let the rest of us that were taught by fire do what we do. Does anyone have the training man. for the USMC ACOG? If not we were also wondering if it is better to shoot with both eyes open or one eye closed from 100 to 500 yrds? I know you shoot both eyes open in a CQB enviroment but what about at range. The other question, is the bullet drop compinsator only for NATO green tip or is it some what of a universal average? If anyone could help us out I would be greatful as well as the boot ass boots that you would be helping get trained.

PINK MIST!

COXIC

Re: ACOG Questions

» 03. What bullet was used to calibrate the ACOG scopes?
The TA01, TA11, & TA31 (.223) were designed for the 5.56mm, 20 inch barrel, 55 grain bullet, and M16/AR15 carry handle mount. The TA01B & TA11C(.308) were designed for the 7.62mm, 20 inch barrel, 168 grain bullet, and M16/AR15 carry handle mount. The TA01NSN was designed specifically for the US Special Operations Command SOPMOD M4 Carbine. To meet their requirements, the reticle bullet drop compensator and range finding stadia lines were based on the trajectory of the 62 grain bullet from a 14.5 inch barrel, flattop mount (Picatinny rail Mil.Std.1913).

It's my understanding the way the scope is made you should shoot with both eyes open. I have no idea as to how the USMC train with there ACOG's. Just some info I have learned from reading and studying the ACOG's cause I would love to put one on a AR-15.

Recon sniper, just got off the range as a CMC having to qualify my battalion on the KD course. The best ting i can tell you is i had shooters shooting with both eyes open and then some with one eye closed. The BDC reticle inside should get you close. While i fired someones rifle for them on the 1st day at the 500, i had to put the 500 m hash mark about the bottom 1/4 of the target. Remember 500 metes is something like 531 yards. You guys should be fine, just make sure that they still keep sight alignment and sight picture and all the fundamentals of marksmanship. Make sure they understand the aiming points of the reticle.

100 yds tip of the chevron
200 yds the underside of the chevron
300 the lit stadi line
400 500 and 600 all are marked.
shoot them and have them kentucky windage it the first 2 days of fire so they know their aiming points. If you got any more questions ask, im rushing right now as i have to go to a formation

Just a continuation of what Deadly0311 wrote.

The Marine Corps uses the 20" Rifles, use the TA31RCO-A4CP. The ACOGs are calibrated in Meters.

100 Meters tip of the chevron
200 Meters the underside of the chevron
300 Meters the lit stadi line
400 - 800 Meters are marked.

It is best to train with bth eyes open. I shoot everything from iron sights, red dots, magnified optics, and even handguns with both eyes open. You get a better view of your surroundings with both eyes open.

Both eyes open is great. It gives some people a head-ache but they'll get over it.

Qual with an ACOG is damn near cheating.

Not sure if you have already learned for yourself but the biggest advice I have is remember the fundamentals. I've shot 230's pretty consistently with irons in the past and I shot 219 yesterday with the RCO.
mad.gif
I blame it partly on the Kentucky windage, the wind changing, and on me rushing due to getting on target so quickly. I had a hard time slowing down and focusing on the fundamentals. That damn red chevron was fun to use but distracting I guess. I can't explain my horrible score really. I'd prefer irons to qual with due to being so unfamiliar with the RCO. Those who can't shoot with irons will love it. Those who can shoot may not feel the same.

Table 2. Well the RCO is awesome and makes things tons of fun.

just a heads up not all acogs were designed to be shot w/ both eyes open. i believe only the newer ones w/ the bidon aiming concept where. i used mine in the army no problem out to 300 w/ both eyes open but anything past that i closed my other eye. as far as the manuel i would say call trijicon there customer service is pretty good and i am sure they will send you a pdf file so you guys can print a bunch off or they will send you some

I sent the OP a Powerpoint file that answered most of his questions (hopefully, since I didn't receive a follow-up email).

To answer the 2nd question: the BDC is made for the A059 "green tip" as the only other 5.56 round in inventory (tracer excluded) is the Black Hills 77gr. Last I saw, Leupold made a MKIV with a custom BDC on one of their scopes for the BH 77gr.