• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG RCO vs EoTech 552 w/ Magnifier

M8541Reaper

Frozen Sour Patch Kid Cult Leader
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 23, 2011
    AZ
    Hey everyone. I just had a few questions and figured I'd throw em out there to yall and see what kinda feedback and advice I can get. Here goes...

I currently have a standard 16" RRA Entry Tactical rifle (which holds 1 MOA all day everyday) equipped with an EoTech 552 optic. I am thinking of throwing on a Magpul PRS, Daniel Defense 12.0 free floating rail M4 (as well as replacing the front site post with a low profile gas block so that the rail will be uninterrupted), magpul or troy fron/rear flip ups, and one of these two options:

1). I keep my EoTech and get the 3x G23 magnifier for it so that engaging long-range will be a bit smoother

or

2). Sell my EoTech and pick up an RCO (Trijicon ACOG) which is 4x magnification.

Which would be the better option? I have worked with the RCOs overseas and have liked them but I have never worked with the magnified EoTech.

Also, the RCO does have the compensation built in for the 5.56rd but being that I am running a 16" barrel it will not be perfectly compensated (I can easily adjust for this by gathering data at the range). However my EoTech is the 552 and is not the newer BDC version, but just as with anything, practice at the range makes (somewhat) perfect and I can gather data to figure my holds.

What do ya'll think is the better idea? RCO or magnified Eotech? Do any of yall have experience shooting at distance with both? Pros? Cons?

Thanks everyone!

-Mitch
    3/2 SSP

Oh and if anyone has any input on the other mods that I was planning on doing (stock, rail, sights, etc) or should be doing, please let me know. I am not new to shooting and am a HOG so don't worry, you wont hurt my feelings with whatever advice you feel is necessary. I have an FNH A3G so I have a nice 7.62 rifle for long range, now I'm looking for a set up in 5.56 with a system that I already own.

Re: ACOG RCO vs EoTech 552 w/ Magnifier

I was making the same decision a year ago and I wound up getting an ACOG TA31H.
    My barrel is 14.7" long. Shooting 75gr rounds the BDC is still pretty close. Past 300yds I just hold a little high.
    I primarily shoot steel targets with this rifle and I'm very happy with my decision. The scope is fast and great at drilling center mass on silhouette targets out to 500yds and sometimes beyond. When shooting smaller targets like clay pigeons I have wished for a better precision optic.

The EoTech is probably the fastest optic on the market but the main drawbacks I had was battery life and the possibility that the batteries could one day explode while the rifle is stored in the safe.
    Based on battery life alone, if I were to go the red dot rout I would choose the Aimpoint Micro T-1. Battery life is something like five years.

If you're wanting to keep the rifle flexible for close work and mid range shooting, stay away from the PRS. They're heavy and designed for long range precision. I'd stick with an adjustable like the Magpul CTR or similar.

For the optic, I would recommend the SWFA SS 1-4x. There is where you will get your versatility. With the ability of true 1x with daylight visible illumination for close work and 4x for distance with a mil reticle for holds you really have the best of both worlds. You can either remember your own holds or dial them on the turret for longer ranges, but your ballistic path with 5.56 out to ~250yds with a 50/200yd zero is so flat that you can pretty much hold center and get hits the whole time. That really depends on the size of target you're shooting.

Check this thread for some more info on the SS 1-4x and there are several others on here.
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668

S/F and welcome to the Hide.

AMTeam4: Yea I currently have an EoTech on my rifle now so the cheaper route would be the magnifier. I love the 552 and havent had a problem with battery life on either of my Eotechs. I'm actually looking to get rid of my eotech and put that money towards an ACOG (I have to wait until I reach 100 posts in order to put it up on here).

Thumper: I just looked into that.

Redman: I'm not lookin to much close in work with this one (I actually have two identical RRA set ups...a buddy of mine made me an offer i couldn't pass up on his), so if that is the only hold up on the PRS then it wont be an issue. Yea 0-300yds is no issue with it, especially on silhouettes. I'll look into the SWFA thanks and S/F.

i have an acog rco. i really like it except the fact you have to almost rub your eyeball on the ocular to get a sight picture. it made me change the way i hold and fire the weapon. also, the reticle is a little fuzzy and hard for me to get focused...but i think its just because i have bad eyes.

talking to a guy that worked for them, he didnt even recommend having buis because he said the thing was nearly indestructible and would work even with the glass broke.

it also has that bindon aiming concept for fast close range aiming, but takes a little time to train your eye to it.

I used to have a TA01NSN; sold it for an EOTech EXPS3-2 with a G23 magnifier. I liked the ACOG, it is a solid optic that was dead on every time; however it lacked quick target acquisition at closer ranges. This is because it did not have the BAC. I was issued a TA31 while in the Army and can tell you the BAC model makes a major difference in CQB. I switched over to the EOTech/magnifier to try something new. I like the versatility of this setup. 1x or 3x... It's great for close range and I have the ability to reach out and hit something at 500+ yards. I don't think you can go wrong with an ACOG though. You might want to consider a TA11. It is just under 4x and has greater eye relief.

Chase B.

Does anyone know anything about the Elcan SpecterOS 3.0?

Go with the acog . Both has its purposes , but the acog is where it is .

I have both an EoTech and ACOG, both have their advantages and disadvantages. In your case, since you already have an EoTech, go with the flip to the side magnifier.

The Eotech has a couple other advantages than just faster acquisition. It is also easier to use it if you are shooting from your weak side (using cover) or shooting from awkward prone positions due to unlimited eye relief. The RCO is not forgiving with eye relief though some of the others are.

If you want pretty good close quarter but want to just crush it at medium to medium-long ranges then ACOG is better. I would not worry much about the difference in BDC between an ACOG calibrated for a 14.5" rifle if you are shooting silhouettes. If you are shooting small targets at arbitrary ranges then actually a 1-4X like the SWFA SS that was mentioned might be better than either.

I just picked up an aimpoint 3x magnifier off of Florida Shooters Network from a member but now I need to get a riser for my Eotech. I have found another guy here in Tampa Bay who has a new ACOG RCO for the M4 so I think I'm going to try to get a hold of the ACOG. I have two RRA M4s both with EoTechs so I'm thinkin, why not just try both. One with an ACOG and then one with a magnified EoTech.

I guess that would make everything easier haha. Any recommendation on riser mounts for the EoTechs? I couldn't find an EoTech Magnifier in my area so I went with an Aimpoint, so now I need a riser.