• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Acog with 1x Doc or trijicon atop worth it?

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    I would like real feedback from those that use(d) them. I will be putting it on a Noveske 14.5. I like the idea of being able to go to the red-dot for targets close and yet being able to reach out 500 400 yards or so. I will use this at the range but like having "real" gear in case the whole shithouse goes up.

Re: Acog with 1x Doc or trijicon atop worth it?

SRT, we've got a few guys in my unit with the different configurations. It all depends on what you want to practice. I think if you're only going to be using the rifle at the range, then don't worry about the red dot on top of your ACOG. If you really want a red dot sight, then buy an EoTech or Aimpoint since they're much more handy for CQB.

I dont particularly like the red dot sitting on top of the ACOG. I find its hard to get a decent cheek weild with it sitting so high on top. Personally the set up that works for me is the put the red dot on a 45 degree plane to the rail at like the 1:30 position under the objective. Yes it will require you to roll the rifle to use the red dot, and you dont get the same cheek weild but I just find that it works for me.

I've run this setup on and off for a few years, depends on the comp or use. For 3 gun it puts you in open so I don't run it for that, just use the 1-4 Meopta. Have used it in a couple team matches where it worked well. You have to be aware of the sight offset with the bore on really close stuff, will hit 4 to 5" low inside 10 yd.

I really tried liking mine, but the more I shot it, the more I hated it. The ACOG has too short eye relief and the caliber specific reticles suck ass. I also didn't like the Doc sight on top. It was a pain in the ass to zero and it sat up too high. I prefer a 1x4 scope.

i loved the acog...i had great luck w/ it in iraq and afganistan. it made it easy to reach out and touch stuff vs the red dot's. i put the doctor on top of it and was not a huge fan. like mentioned above you cant get a great cheek weld. if your really looking for something w/ the bdc and in the price range look at the new eotechs w/ the magnifiers that flip to the side when you need close range. and they still have the bdc out to 600 i think