• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sam626

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2011
stilwell, kansas
Got a question here, guys. I've wanted a TA01NSN for my AR for a long time. I really like the back-up irons on top of the optic. So, if I spend around $850 on one of these will I be happy with it? Would like to hear from some of you that have used that particular optic and can tell me about it.

Depends on what you want to use it for. The reticle is fairly fine, and if you're using it in the woods you may lose it at times. But I like mine for a finer aiming point than the chevron reticles offer.

If you are looking for speed, go chevron. If you are looking for precision, go with the NSN. The sights up top are worthless in my opinion, and I removed it and put a Doctor optic up there instead.

Depends on what you want to use it for. The reticle is fairly fine, and if you're using it in the woods you may lose it at times. But I like mine for a finer aiming point than the chevron reticles offer.

If you are looking for speed, go chevron. If you are looking for precision, go with the NSN. The sights up top are worthless in my opinion, and I removed it and put a Doctor optic up there instead.

The AR is pretty much for recreational shooting, so I would tend to be after small targets more than speed. Do you find the glass and the overall quality of the optic to be pretty good?

The ACOG has its purpose. It's tough as shit. It's simple to use, and it is very clear. I like it for truck gun purposes on my personal rifle, keeping it on the AR for when I'm tromping around the family farm and such. It's nice to have it for that rock chuck or coyote that pops up.

I used to have one on my work rifle as well. It's very nice as a DDM type optic, and again, tough as shit. Much easier to do target ID with a 4x than an Aimpoint.

I'll echo what Redmanss said in that the upper sights are generally worthless. Look into an ECOS model if you want a stacked optic option.

Also, my personal experience is that the amber reticles washout a lot easier in any back lighting. I would recommend sticking with a red or green illumination for the reticle.

The ACOG has very good glass and the optical quality is excellent. The optic itself it tough as nails. The issues I had with the TA01 I used in the Army were centered around four main areas-
The reticle was non-fiber optic, so it was not daylight illuminated
The optic was very hard to use at CQB distances
The eye relief was very short, which sucked for a use on a fixed stock
The focus is set at infinity, so you have to use your eyes to focus. While this is "universal", it caused a lot of eye strain when used for prolonged periods.

I would personally recommend a BAC model, as I tend to think they're more utilitarian. There's nothing wrong with the TA01 series, though, and the reticle does lend itself to accurate shot placement.

I had an ACOG with a red chevron and couldn't wait to get rid of it...entirely too much money for an optic with entirely too little eye relief. You ever notice how in all the news clips of our guys doing a sweep in a building in Iraq they all have the buttstock of their M4 up on top their shoulder??? That was so they could get their eye close enough to see thru the scope. Seriously, do not spend this kind of money on an ACOG {or any other optic for that matter} until you have at least looked at one on the same type of gun you have. Tough piece of equipment, yes...probably last forever, yes...quality made, yes...eye relief, no where near enough for the money and that cancels all the other good things for me. If you do get one, read the manual good. You have to thump pretty good on the side of the scope after making adjustments to the turrets to get the reticle to actually move and change point of impact. They look neat and they have their following, but I will bet that if those guys are honest when asked what they would change if anything they will say "give it more eye relief."

I read shitloads of reviews and went ahead with the purchase. Thanks for all the honest advice. Got a good enough deal from Scott@LibertyOptics that I can probably get my money out of it if it doesn't work for me.