• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shaggs

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2010
west central Texas.
Did a search to see if anyone reviewed an acog. 8 pages no joy just alot for sale. lol so, anyone using one? specifically ta31 fg, ch, or h model.??? and if so maybe your take on em. worth the bucks? thanks in advance.

Re: acog's

It all depends on what you're intending to do with the rifle. ACOGs are tough as hell, good clarity, but limited in application. Worth every penny in some areas, worthless for others.

For someone to tell you if they're worth the bucks, you have to tell us what you're wanting to do with it.

there was a great video on a good application IMO for a acog. it was on here frank and them did it. Using it with a lever mount so if your main optic goes down you have a quick method to get a new optic on with a good Z. they are definately a land warfare optic, being a fixed 4x. with a doctor on, helps a bit for close up stuff.

If your after tough it will work. However, some of the new 1-4X scopes offer much more versatility. I'll be replacing my ACOG with one of the new SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD scopes. That might be why you got eight pages of for sale in your search.

Use the search engine linked to in my sig line and see if your results are any different. Also, with the Google engine, you can include a term like "-WTS" or "-sale" and eliminate the PX ads...that way you get more reviews/questions/etc. instead.

If you are considering an ACOG, then you should also be considering the Elcan. I was looking for something to put on my M1A, FAL, and 556 a few months ago. After all my research I ended up giving up on the ACOG and getting ELCANs and Aimpoints.

you have to really define what your intent to use the optic for. I own a ta31f mounted on a colt 6940 and love this combo. but here is the deal. I am a 51 year old 6'1" 245 lb electrician and seriously doubt I will be doing any highspeed low drag work . my idea of clearing a house is passing gas after chili. for me the acog works great in the fact I can get on a deer or coyote pretty fast at close range and with the chevron I can still make a semi- precision shot out to 200-300 yds at a smaller varmint. I love the dual illumination and not having to worry about turning on or off the optic or an electronic failure.
I also have a vortex strikefire and no its not an aimpoint but it works the same way and using it and the acog in my basement side by side I find I can get on a fire extinguisher at 10 ft just a little faster than the acog but not by much and means nothing to what I use my optic for . what matters to me is when im eye balling a nice size buck or or a 300lb wild boar wanders by I know my optic is going to work anytime and every time from first light in the morning to after dark in the evening.
I hope this help. so for me myself yes the acog is worth every dime.

I have an ACOG mounted on my M4. I picked the TA11 3.5x35 over 4x because it has the longest eye relief of ACOG scopes and magnification is good for my applications. You can get it with .223 or 308 ballistic bullet drop reticles. I like it because they don't require batteries or a switch to turn on. You can use them during daylight and lowlight conditions. Durability and hold after zero are tops.

You can also get one with a RMR mounted on top which allows for quick transition for close range. But be forewarned that the RMR is pretty high and depending on your cheek-weld and mount, it may not be comfortable or as consistent to shoot. For me this isn't a problem because the shots are quick and close when I use RMR.

Aimpoint or Eotech with a flip magnifier is another option which allows for more consistent cheek-weld but is a little slower in transition. They however required batteries, but this also means that you can adjust the reticle intensity which is useful when using nightvision.

That being said, any of these optics are not for precision long-range shooting where you need to be able to dial exact windage or bullet drop corrections.

I also have the ta11 for the same reasons as VKC above. It is so quick and easy to get behind and the glass seems pretty good. I bought it for short range deer hunting with a 16" AR 308. I love mine- worth every penny. You should buy one. Like jwb47, I have no "missions" in my future, but the fact that the thing is indestructible makes me feel good. Its been said that I could f*ck up a steel ball, but I doubt that I could break an acog.

I bought an acog before I deployed to Iraq and I loved it. I brought it home with me when I got out and mounted on my noveske. I found that I liked it much more when I was in Iraq. Acogs work very well for quickly engaging large targets at varying distances. I like to use it when hunting med size game. I've found a traditional scope to better suit my need s as a civilian, where I primarily shoot paper.

Thanks for all the replys. very helpful. Ill be using it as another club in the golfbag. already have a driver for the long shots.. lol so i need an iron i guess you could say.
Ill be using it for shooting pigs (notice i didnt say hunting) shots be between 50-250yds. needs a bdc reticle as i dont want to fiddle with knobbs either. shots will kinda be quick. want a lit reticle without batteries. have to be able to withstand riding around on the dash of my truck in rough country, have pretty much decided on the acog for that reason, i guess I should have asked which reticles work the best. Read a few reviews that the amber is hard to see during the day. anyhow thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are considering an ACOG, then you should also be considering the Elcan. I was looking for something to put on my M1A, FAL, and 556 a few months ago. After all my research I ended up giving up on the ACOG and getting ELCANs and Aimpoints. </div></div>
I have spent some serious time behind all three optics mentioned here and the elcan is one of the best scopes I have seen. The aimpoint is tough as hell and so is the ACOG and ELCAN. With all the great 1-4x optics out there these days the ACOGs have a small place.

small place that may be true, but I believe it may be the best choice for me for what i intend to use it for. Its really just down to the reticle choice now so i guess ill be in the minority and that small place will be on my rifle. anyway thanks for the repliess fellas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill be using it for shooting pigs...shots be between 50-250yds.</div></div> TA31F/(g) or a TA01/NSN are good for your intended use mentioned above. I find with most ACOGs, that I have to put 100mph tape over a good portion if not all of the "light rod", because it can be too bright.

+3 on ACOG TA11. I like the donut a lot, but would also look at the Chevron (red on either over amber color) if I was to get another one.

This is for my regular 16" barrel AR, good from 0-500M. For a 24" bull barrel or more of a precision gas gun, I would get a variable power scope with adjustable turrets.

Just one more opinion in the sea of thought.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill be using it for shooting pigs...shots be between 50-250yds.</div></div> TA31F/(g) or a TA01/NSN are good for your intended use mentioned above. I find with most ACOGs, that I have to put 100mph tape over a good portion if not all of the "light rod", because it can be too bright.

</div></div>

I have had the TA01 NSN model for almost 6 years on my 6X45 AR15,has been great for all around yotes and other critters.Works great for night hunting also with a light.The glass and clarity is very good in the ACOG,something you do not hear very often.I can carry it behind my seat for a month and be confident it will be right on zero when I need to use it.

I have both the TA31F and the TA01NSN. Both great scopes for their intended use. Only problem the short eye relief is a little hard to get use to. The 33R is another good choice with longer eye relief.

granted ours saw a lot of use, but we had 22 chevron models in the arms room that wouldn't keep zero. brass adjustments arent so cool.

the TAO1 is the best for the range I'd say. if I were to drop 1k on an ACOG that'd be the only choice IMO.

the newest ones with the windage markings in the reticle seem to always have one side of the reticle be blurry. i swear if i pick up a New one and look either at the left or right windage ticks one side is blurry. very disappointing.

I have the new red "horseshoe" reticle I really like it. I agree with some of the other posts here in that it's an awesome piece of kit for engaging medium to large targets at varying distances quickly. I also agree that if I'm punching paper a 1-4variable scope would be a better fit. Based on your intended use I agree that it should be a good fit for you.

I've had the TA31DOC and currently have the TA33G-H (green horseshoe). The TA31 has too short of an eye relief and there was a POI shiftwhen using the BAC Concept. The TA33 has a very forgiving eye relief and it is very fast for close shooting due to the horseshoe reticle and there is no POI shift. I lent my TA33 to my neighbor to take to Afghan and he and his squad compared the TA31 to the TA33 and they liked the TA33 much better. He said the NV works pretty good with the TA33, even with the green reticle.

I've also had a ton of 1x4 scopes and the Aimpoint and EOTech with 3xMagnifier and prefer the TA33 over all of them.

Ta31f here. I have had and used it on my go to for the last two years. I have used it for a number of matches and find the only thing that it sucks at is shooting from a vehicle. I have no issue with the eye relief, but can see how it would bother some. I have had no issue shooting up close out to 600. It shines for me from 80 to 300. The bdc works fine for me once I got it set up, I zeroed the 500 yd hash on steel then the bdc is on and there is only some hold over from 100-300... I like the chevron in red... mine is clear and has no issues, I also molded a quick remove protective cover from kydex...
I like it and although it was costly, I wish I had several others.
IMG_3658.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks for all the replys. very helpful. Ill be using it as another club in the golfbag. already have a driver for the long shots.. lol so i need an iron i guess you could say.
Ill be using it for shooting pigs (notice i didnt say hunting) shots be between 50-250yds. needs a bdc reticle as i dont want to fiddle with knobbs either. shots will kinda be quick. want a lit reticle without batteries. have to be able to withstand riding around on the dash of my truck in rough country, have pretty much decided on the acog for that reason, i guess I should have asked which reticles work the best. Read a few reviews that the amber is hard to see during the day. anyhow thanks in advance. </div></div>
I agree with what both <span style="font-style: italic">vkc</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">dtac</span> said, and I can't stress enough that the TA11's long eye relief is awesome and rules for use on collapsible stocks. I have and use a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TA11</span></span> (original TA11 with the 4 MOA Red Donut) on a 16" AR. My scope started-out more than 15 years ago on a carry handle Bushmaster 16" HB 1:9 twist and continues to work well on an LWRC M6A2-S flatop 16.1" 1:7 twist upper. It will work very well for fast shots at the ranges you mentioned, and depending upon the loads you are using you should be able to aim with the center of the Donut and hit. You can shoot with both eyes open using the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">BAC</span></span> (Bindon Aiming Concept) of the reticle, or with the strong eye only.

In case you don't know, the TA11 Series is Dual Illuminated (fiber optic by day and tritum at night) so there are no batteries to drain and no electronics to fail. The Donut glows brightly under overcast skies or from a covered firing position, and too brightly under direct sunlight, so duct or masking tape is in order in the sun. The tritium is bright enough in subdued light and complete darkess, but not so bright as to "washout" the target or affect your night vision.

The stadia lines on the TA11 below the Donut go from 400 to 800 yards. I've only used the stadia out to 600 yards on steel, but it works pretty well with Black Hills Blue and Red box 55gr. and 68gr). I prefer the 68gr. but cheap 62gr. Wolf works too. Farther than 600 yards and I'll use a different gun.

The ACOGs' were designed for military use and are built tough-as-nails. And as I understand it Trijicon has top-notch warranty service should your ever require it, which is highly unlikely in civilian use.

Hope that helps round-out the info on the TA11.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S in MRE finish w/Magpul UBR in OD & Black, OD MIAD, Tango Down Rail Covers, & Larue LT-706 + KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSACOG28x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSRAACOG28x6.jpg

Keith

Thanks fellas.
mos 2111 That is one sweet rifle. nice.
have blue, yeah I read about that blurrieness on left side of reticle. it has to do with the way the prism or something is designed so the scope doesnt have paralax at any range or something. idk, it was on the FAQ section of trijicon.
anyhow, thanks guys.

I'm in the process of getting an Acog to go on my Armalite M4, a friend of mine, Master Gunny MarSog sniper kinda guy tried one with the horseshoe reticle and couldn't make it work for him, note he (and I) have 59 year old eyes to work with. Shipped that one back and going with the chevron in red. Just my two cents. (This is my pig/yote rifle)

I've got a TA11 on my 16" OBR and I love it for most of the reasons already listed. It's got good glass in it, great eye relief, it's very quick shooting varying distances, it's great in low light, etc...

That being said, I'm a lawyer, not a fighter, and I have zero combat experience. All my experience is limited to shooting 3 gun or rifle matches.

IMG_1787.jpg

I have the TA31ECOS with the Doctor on my ar and mainly use it for spotlighting pigs. The docter works great for the close running shots. My brother has and eotech on his ar and the acog is better for what we are doing with them.