• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action Bedding Question - DBM to Pillar Fit

Deadman Pointers

Town Fool
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
You'll have to excuse the silly question, but I've never worked on a stock where I didn't install the pillars before.

I picked up a Grayboe stock with factory installed pillars and their DBM. After a little while messing with the inlet, it turns out the ears of the DBM itself may not be flat. Said in another way, it does not rest flat on the pillars. In fact, the two contact points are at the front tip of the DBM ear where the front action screw goes and the back tip of the ear where the rear action screw goes. I can fit a .025" feeler gauge in between the the DBM and the front rear pillar when the DBM is inserted hand tight.

Is this a problem to the point where I should begin flattening out the DBM itself? The inlet was CNC cut, so I assume it is flat. I'm going to be skim bedding the action anyways, but I never came across (or never noticed) this sort of situation before.

Collective thoughts?

As long as there is some contact of metal to metal to keep bedding from crushing over time then just skim bed the bottom metal to the pillars. Just don't torque all the way when bedding cures. go bout half #

I have a 6BR that started life as a 22-250. The previous owner installed pillars and did a very nice job on the bedding so I left it as is.
Over the past 20 years, it has cracked 3 trigger guards.
A couple of months ago while working on a different stock I pulled the action to use as a fitting guide. I removed the front screw from the trigger guard and it popped up.
WTF?
I started digging into the issue and found the bottom of the pillar was not level to the other pillar. In fact, the front side of it was almost 2mm higher.

Here's the front side using a carpenter square.

20181001_091958.jpg

Here's the back side. Note the clearance.
Sorry for the crappy photo, but the garage is awful for taking pics.

20181001_091944.jpg

I took a dremel and a small file to the pillar and now the trigger guard sits in the stock like it's supposed to.
I bet I won't be replacing any more trigger guards.