• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Action Boltway Reaming

shepherm

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2006
West Oklahoma
Ok I've searched for this but didn't find much info.

I'm looking a buying an action boltway reamer from Manson but need some advice from the pros. A little background, I'm looking to true a few Remington actions I already have. These builds will include a 308 and 338 lapua on the 700s for target/tactical shooting.

First they offer .710, .715 or custom size reamers. Which size and why?

If I order a replacement bolt, is .003 undersized enough?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Action Boltway Reaming

I have and use the .715. and why is because when I bought it, I had no idea there was a .710. It works great, and is used by hand to make the cut in the race way. The Brownells action wrench does a great job of holding the action evenly while you do the surgery.

Oh yeah, on the bolt, you can order it .003 smaller which will give you a very snug fit with .0015 all around between the bolt body and the raceway. You can order the bolts .004, and that also works fine. PTG will make them for you, but order it first because they take a long time to get when it's custom size like that.

I use a PTG .705" raceway reamer and order .703" bolt bodies. Works great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a PTG .705" raceway reamer and order .703" bolt bodies. Works great </div></div>

Same here.

Yes, the PTG tool is also a great tool. I didn't see the PTG tool until I had bought the Manson though.

Remember the straight bushings are the only way to go. If you need any I have a few on the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember the straight bushings are the only way to go. If you need any I have a few on the shelf. </div></div>

This is also what I use, the tapered bushings are a problem waiting to happen.