• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action choices with rem or savage prefits

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Going to start building my second custom bolt gun. After some consideration I think i'm going 308 win. It will be used for hunting and plinking.

I just want a no frills straight forward action that would except remage or savage barrel nut systems, excepts detachable box mags and is reliable. I want that barrel nut system because I could very well change my mind and I like how easy they are to switch calibers if I so choose

$1,100 would probably be my max.
    I feel like I've looked at everything but want to be sure I'm not missing any.

Mack bros: says they are about 6 weeks out from another run of evos.
    Origin
    And defiance which is now out of my price range.
    Arc nucleus

Some actions I couldn't find any info for, such as a mesa precision, gunwerks gbr or Curtis scout.

anyone have any suggestions on a budget action that will meet that criteria?

thanks fellas!

Last edited:
    I have origins, macks, and a nuke. Get the EVO if you want remage and don’t need controlled feed and won’t need to swap bolt face. The origin and nuke will be more versatile with swappable bolt heads and are pretty comparable spec wise, the origin maybe being more ubiquitous and having better selection of off the shelf prefits, if you decide to go that route.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I have origins, macks, and a nuke. Get the EVO if you want remage and don’t need controlled feed and won’t need to swap bolt face. The origin and nuke will be more versatile with swappable bolt heads and are pretty comparable spec wise, the origin maybe being more ubiquitous and having better selection of off the shelf prefits, if you decide to go that route.
    How do you like the mack bros actions?

Between those choices I’d get an Origin.
    I'm just wondering if there are any other choices other than the ones I listed, that would take savage or remage barrel nut systems. I can't believe I would have found them all with my limited experience haha.

Also, Ive been reading up on any action o could for the past week. Along with when I got my defiance tenacity. I was going to get an origin and started reading a lot of comments with people saying the bolt binds. What's your experience?

Most actions can bind if you run them sloppy. My Macks seem a bit slicker and maybe less apt to bind than my Origins. I run the Origins pretty hard though, controlled feed has never skipped a beat. Zermatt also makes awesome rem/savage nuts.

I'm just wondering if there are any other choices other than the ones I listed, that would take savage or remage barrel nut systems. I can't believe I would have found them all with my limited experience haha.

Also, Ive been reading up on any action o could for the past week. Along with when I got my defiance tenacity. I was going to get an origin and started reading a lot of comments with people saying the bolt binds. What's your experience?

I've shot a couple Origins and I didn't think they were prone to binding. Some actions are more prone than others, but you can bind anything up if you try hard enough. I always felt that Defiance actions were prone to binding unless you order them with less clearance between the action and bolt. So I’d certainly say less so than an off the shelf Defiance.

Have you ever thought about a Howa? You could even get a carbon barrel within your price range. For hunting and plinking, one of these should be plenty accurate and you could build a whole gun for $1100 depending on what stock you choose.

Have you ever thought about a Howa? You could even get a carbon barrel within your price range. For hunting and plinking, one of these should be plenty accurate and you could build a whole gun for $1100 depending on what stock you choose.

I just sold a barreled Tikka action. Not in the market for a howa.

The simplest thing would be to wait for a Mack Bro Evo since you just want the basics. Even if you’re in a hurry to build, put a deposit down and start buying everything else while you wait

The simplest thing would be to wait for a Mack Bro Evo since you just want the basics. Even if you’re in a hurry to build, put a deposit down and start buying everything else while you wait
    That's what I was thinking. I'd like to put a down payment on the mack bros action, so I know I can secure it. They said they would email me when they are in stock. So I'm a little worried I won't even get one.

Aero Solus is another one to consider. I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything other than an origin though

Origin or Nucleus, but don't exclude the 40 page thread on the new ARC action Coup De Grace for $900. The options for Savage prefit seem to be greater than Remage IMO. I know there's options but by and large it looks like the Savage thread pattern won.

Origin or Nucleus, but don't exclude the 40 page thread on the new ARC action Coup De Grace for $900. The options for Savage prefit seem to be greater than Remage IMO. I know there's options but by and large it looks like the Savage thread pattern won.
    Lol, I started reading that thread. I'll finish some day. I just want to have something sooner rather than later. From what I'm seeing, or saw, the wait time on the CDG was 4 months I believe? I was looking at the arc nucleus gen 2. In the pictures on the website it looks like the bolt stop is attached to the bolt body? Wtf is that?

That's what I was thinking. I'd like to put a down payment on the mack bros action, so I know I can secure it. They said they would email me when they are in stock. So I'm a little worried I won't even get one.
    Gotta be quick with that credit card

• Haha
    Lol, I started reading that thread. I'll finish some day. I just want to have something sooner rather than later. From what I'm seeing, or saw, the wait time on the CDG was 4 months I believe? I was looking at the arc nucleus gen 2. In the pictures on the website it looks like the bolt stop is attached to the bolt body? Wtf is that?
    The pic I think you’re talking about is just an illustration of how the bolt stop engages the top lug. But the stop is mounted to the receiver body

Yeah as was said the bolt stop isn't on the bolt body. AFAIK, that was the change to the Gen. 2, different bolt stop/release from like a knurled knob to a lever. To expand on Origin or Nuke, buy the one available. Being able to change bolt heads and calibers is nice.

Going to start building my second custom bolt gun. After some consideration I think i'm going 308 win. It will be used for hunting and plinking.

I just want a no frills straight forward action that would except remage or savage barrel nut systems, excepts detachable box mags and is reliable. I want that barrel nut system because I could very well change my mind and I like how easy they are to switch calibers if I so choose

$1,100 would probably be my max.
    I feel like I've looked at everything but want to be sure I'm not missing any.

Mack bros: says they are about 6 weeks out from another run of evos.
    Origin
    And defiance which is now out of my price range.
    Arc nucleus

Some actions I couldn't find any info for, such as a mesa precision, gunwerks gbr or Curtis scout.

thanks fellas!
    I mis-read something, somewhere.

What is your other bolt gun?

There’s nothing wrong with going with an affordable, stripped option action but you also said you wanted the option to change barrels easily if you choose. It would be really easy to spend a little more on a premium custom action(I fanboi pretty hard on the ARC stuff) with the removable bolt heads and have the option to shoot dozens(potentially) of different cartridges from the same platform

I mis-read something, somewhere.

What is your other bolt gun?

There’s nothing wrong with going with an affordable, stripped option action but you also said you wanted the option to change barrels easily if you choose. It would be really easy to spend a little more on a premium custom action(I fanboi pretty hard on the ARC stuff) with the removable bolt heads and have the option to shoot dozens(potentially) of different cartridges from the same platform
    I had a Tikka I just sold that I put a different barrel on, and I have a defiance tenacity. The ARC products makes my head spin with all the shit they put into them and talk about. Again I'm fairly new to bolt guns. That's why I like the tenacity. Straight forward and affordable. I'm going to continue researching the ARC. However, if I save my pennies and miss out on a mack bros evos. I might try and grab a terminus Apollo. Idk yet

Do you have a specific purpose in mind or do you just want “a gun”?

I talk about bolt gun Legos all the time so an action that has removable bolt heads and will already accept off-the-shelf barrels is what I always recommend, especially to people new to bolt guns(like me, still).

Whichever model Defiance you have, I’d go with the opposite size custom. Eg, if you have a short action Tenacity, I’d just buy a long action something-or-other(I’m still lusting after the Coup) with .473 and .535 bolt heads. Now you have all the bases covered. Unless you want to try your hand at some really long shots, in which case you’d buy a Coup or Mausingfield with the .588 bolt head as well

Firearm Legos are fun and confusing, you’re welcome

Also, add a Curtis scout to the list. They are remage. Anyone ever used one? Without telling me you hate them and love terminus. Haha

Like others have said I’d go origin and without the barrel nut but I like my stuff to look clean and with the amount of prefits for it.it’s the easy button you can get proof prefits for $580 just torque and go

OP I sent you a PM yesterday on a Mack barreled action that I would sell. I didn't get a response. Either way is fine I am just making sure that you received it.

OP I sent you a PM yesterday on a Mack barreled action that I would sell. I didn't get a response. Either way is fine I am just making sure that you received it.
    Just saw it. Will a dbm chassis work on a bdl action?