• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action Comparison (Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, etc...)?

Nautijohnson

Blackbeard
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2011
Lugoff, SC
www.facebook.com
Could anyone point me in the right direction to a thread comparing Stiller Actions to Surgeon or Defiance actions. I am about to build a 260 on a AIAX chasis, and would love to find an heated discusion on this topic. Or if anyone knows of a comparison chart of the leading actions (within a 1500$ budget) somewhere else, please let me know. thanks.

Surgeon and Defiance over a Stiller for me...but you'll have better luck getting a Defiance right now!

I would also look into Bighorn Actions. My next build will be on one. The most recent Snipers Hide Build is on one.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=153855&highlight=bighorn+build

I dont believe there is a better tactical action out there. Very robust. Floating bolt-head. Integral recoil lug. Other trendy features :)

I Currently shoot a Stiller TAC30 AW and honestly if you can get one for a good price, it will do just as well as you ever will be able to. Some people have complained about the smaller bolt stop breaking, but this is my 3rd Stiller action and never a problem myself. The defiance and Bighorn have large bolt stops. End of day, go with what you can find. BUT I would definitely go with an action that is capable of using AW mags. Once you use an AW mag, you will wonder why you never did before. I may be mistaken, but I dont think Surgeon will accept the AW mags. THat may have been addressed though. And yes I know a smith and open em up.

Regards,
DT

I got to briefly finger bang an uncoated Defiance action and I must say it was pretty damn smooth. Granted its polished compared to the Surgeon but if I didn't already own a 591 I would have gone Defiance.

Also remember that the GAP Templar and SAC 11 are based off defiance actions. I have a Templar currently and love it.

Defiance Deviant IMO if on a tighter budget Stiller. Not impressed by Surgeon myself since it carries a high price tag but yet still has a cast bolt from what little i know .

What about a badger?

I'm considering bighorn tactical for a .223AI build... seems to be built like a tank with a lot of nice features.

I haven't used Defiance or Surgeon, but I do have a Stiller Predator and absolutely love it. If I ever try another action, it will be out of shear curiosity, not due to any problem with the Stiller.

John

If you are still looking, check out the BAT tactical, sold exclusively by Wolf Precision out of Johnstown Pa.

Aren't Surgeon actions NOT stainless? I've heard a few complain about receiving some rusty ones. Just something to note I guess. You'd blast it off before finishing anyways.

Aren't Surgeon actions NOT stainless? I've heard a few complain about receiving some rusty ones. Just something to note I guess. You'd blast it off before finishing anyways.

They are 4140 Chrome Moly. My action had a tiny spot of "tarnish" on it. I wouldn't necessarily called it rust. I'm not worried about it. It will be blasted and coated anyway.

They are 4140 Chrome Moly. My action had a tiny spot of "tarnish" on it. I wouldn't necessarily called it rust. I'm not worried about it. It will be blasted and coated anyway.

Yea as long as it's finished right it shouldn't be an issue. Do you know the main reason for going with the Chrome Moly over a stainless? I'm guessing it's harder.

Not a Surgeon fan: owned several and had problems with all of them. Stiller actions are well made and reasonably priced. BAT actions are the king of the benchrest field: probably the best machining in the business. Defiance is my personal favorite: have owned 5 or 6 and now I'm switching over to their new Deviant action for all my rifles. Can't beat the idea of an integral rail and lug.

+1 on the Defiance Deviant. Surgeon doesn't seem to want to sell to the general public anymore. With the integrated lug and rail the deviant is the best thing going right now and operates very smooth

I have shot Defiance, Surgeon, Stiller, Badger(a little) haven't shot the bighorn. They are all great actions. Each has their + and -. A good gun plumber can make a great rifle outa all of them.YMMV

R
icu- a stiller works fine in a mini chassis

I bought the Stiller in the group buy because the price was in my ball park at the time.But my next action will be a Defiance Definitely.

I was going through this same debate and settled on the Defiance Deviant. Although I am still second guessing not going with the bighorn. So I am still waiting for them to be in stock so I can get one and compare the two. Although on sheer taking care of the public i go first to Defiance they are one of the only ones still taking orders directly from customers not just supplying their dealers.
Not that this is a bad thing just nice to know I can go directly to them to get it and actually be able to place an order not have to call back to a dealer weekly to see if they have something in stock.

I don't think it matters all that much. I would go with whatever I could get first. Availability being equal, I would go with either Surgeon or the new Defiance Deviant.

Drop mail or call Norm, at Defiance, and be patience to wait 8 weeks. I'm sure you will be more than happy when receive it

Defiance Deviant IMO if on a tighter budget Stiller. Not impressed by Surgeon myself since it carries a high price tag but yet still has a cast bolt from what little i know .
Surgeons website says the bolts are forged. Where have you heard something else?

What's up with Surgeon not selling actions lately?

^^^ The word is that Surgeon can't keep up with their full builds so like lot of manufactures that bill complete guns they suspended selling parts in their case receivers....

^^^ The word is that Surgeon can't keep up with their full builds so like lot of manufactures that bill complete guns they suspended selling parts in their case receivers....

They need to step it up!

After all this AR15 nonsense Surgeon has had a massive run on their actions. They told me that dealers that usually order 10 actions were ordering 30. They had to put a hold on orders because they could not keep up. My vote would be with Surgeon. If I could not get one the Bighorn would be next.

Not a Surgeon fan: owned several and had problems with all of them. Stiller actions are well made and reasonably priced. BAT actions are the king of the benchrest field: probably the best machining in the business. Defiance is my personal favorite: have owned 5 or 6 and now I'm switching over to their new Deviant action for all my rifles. Can't beat the idea of an integral rail and lug.

What problems did you have? I'm just curious because in my limited experience(2 years shooting matches), I have yet to see one go down. I can't say the same for Defiance or Stiller. "Can't beat the idea of an integral rail and lug." I agree, wonder where they got that idea?

Last edited:
I'm running a Borden Alpine with a Rock Creek barrel. So far no complaints. In my opinion they are up there with BAT and the others and may be easier to get.

Can´t help myself but to think this is like "beamer vs merc" thread. Come on, you´re not buying a Daewoo and the rest is personal preference. All the actions are top notch of what the current market is able to offer.

BAT Machine

BATaft.jpg

BATleft.jpg

Last edited:
I built my 260 using a Defiance action, badger bottom metal, Manners stock, Obermeyer 5R barrel, and I have no regrets. I don't spend much time on ammo making, and still easily get half MOA accuracy. I'm sure if I did more work reloading, and bought better bullets I could shrink groups considerably.

My Defiance action is great. I have no experience with Stiller, Bat, Bighorn, or Surgeon. All are known as top actions for a reason. I doubt any would disappoint you.

Had/have an older GAP 7000, Templar, and Defiance. All were good to me. I think once you're into the stratosphere of elite actions you might as well flip a coin.

I have had rifles built by GAP with Surgeon and Badger actions and I currently have a Surgeon Scalpel along with several AI rifles. I never had a problem with the Surgeons or the Badger. They are both great actions and I would rank them with the AI. I have shot them all in many field matches and they all worked flawlessly. I would not hesitate to buy a Surgeon or Badger action.

I ended up getting the Stiller Tac30 AW, and I am very happy with it!

Nothing wrong with your decision. I figure if their actions are good enough for the Navy, then they will meet my needs. I have had a few Stiller actions (from the Viper to a Myers rimfire action) and have never found myself wanting something better.